Are there a minimum number of games with the first team a young player should play?

god7father

Reaction score
How many games minimum should a young player (less than 21 years old) with good potential typically play with the first team (Roma Serie A)? I am also factoring in that they are playing with the U 20 youth team once a week and friendliest as well. I ask because I want to get an idea of when to possibly recall a loaned player who is not getting many games and to give me an idea if I playing the player enough.

i usually play players between the age of 17-19 around 15-20 times in the senior squad. you need to know when to play them though, without compromising your results. and beyond 19, just as many times as possible for them to fully develop. I don't know how others go about it, but I play with ridiculously young players if they're good enough. Even 16 year olds sometimes.

you can play them as much as you want as long as they are good enough. But if they need a rest, give it to them or they will burn out. I currently have a 5 star PA player with poor fitness who can only play 3 games at a time then needs to rest a game.

Does the type of game make a difference? If I play them in a friendly with the senior team will they get the same out of it as a league game?

Yeah, try and play them in easy league games, or cup games or something of the sort. Maybe even easy home Champions league group games.