Are you ALWAYS fired for not meeting minimum expectations?

Michael Price

Reaction score
Hey all - I just finished the 2038 season in which my Forest Green Rovers won the league and the Champion's league in the same season. Unfortunately now my board (after years of just expecting me to challenge - during which I won the league every year or three) have decided that their minimum expectations are for me to win the premier league...... Now, my team is strong enough to do this, but a lot of it depends on how my opposition plays and how I go with injuries. This year was charmed and I finished on top with 100 points (my personal best by far), but my squad is getting old and I'm having to replace players and.... well, you know, there's no guarantee of me winning the league. It's been a while since I've been in a position of not meeting expectations . Are you ALWAYS fired if you do not meet them? I've managed nearly 1600 games for Forest Green have won more than 40 pieces of silverware and have been a legend of the club for at least a decade. It would be ludicrous if I was sacked for finishing, say, second or third. -- Sorry for the wall of text, my browser doesn't seem to want to let me make spaces in this chat interface.

Think of yourself as Alex Ferguson, you are exspected to win the league, and the board will most likely be disappointed if you don't win it, but you are hardly going to get the sack over it are you?. That is the way I would view the situation. Hope i'm not wrong ^^.

Aslong as you're close you should be ok, I've seen City sack their manager after they came third by 11 points.

I don't think they will sack you if you miss the expectations by a little. The fact that you are a legend of the club makes you even more impossible to get sacked.

Thanks guys. I hope you're right. I'm clear on top of the ladder after about 10 games right now, so looks like I might win the thing anyway, I just know that they are going to expect it every year now, which could be a problem.

It's no problem. They'll be dissapointed if you fail, but keep it close and nothing will happen. They'll probably even lower their expectations the next season.

I can't even remember the last time I was fired tbh :/

I set the lowest possible expectation so that I'm either right/ overachieving and tend to change clubs out of boredom every 4/5 seasons so I never end up fired.

I fail once in a while with meeting the expectations, but as long as you don't fail by much it's not a problem, especially if you've improved your club's standing, which it sounds like you have. I have got Boavista from the third to top tier in Portugal, and the board don't mind if I mess up a little (emphasis on little).