Arnesen defends Chelsea spending

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Chelsea's sporting director Frank Arnesen defends the capture of £50m striker Fernando Torres saying it does not stop the club producing its own talent.

More...

I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that this would hinder the production of young talent anyway.. oO)

Not really a big blow for Chelsea's youth considering there's no quality strikers coming through for them anyway. You could argue Luiz has stunted Bruma's first team opportunities and therefore development, but from what I've seen of Bruma he's not that special anyway.

David Luiz looks quality from what I have seen off him in Portugal, if he manages to recrate that kind of form, he will be deadly in England

Dont see how anyone can complain. Chelsea's current problem is a lack of quality in the 22-26 range, that can only be fixed by spending

We needed a striker and its the only position we havent got a decent youth player coming through in. Godcubed is entitled to his own opinion about Bruma but he has only been seen by people in one game and he was up against Heskey who always ups his game against Chelsea for some reason. Bruma is a decent player and i believe he may go out on loan still to Leicster this season which is what he needs. The signing of David Luiz is a good one but i dont think it will hinder Bruma much because i beleive Alex may be out the door in the summer.

Why did you let Sturrdige go on loan though? He an excellent young talent!

Why did you let Sturrdige go on loan though? He an excellent young talent!

The lad had all the credentials to become a star at Chelsea but he just needs games to find a way to unleash them on a regular basis. With the signing of Torres playing time would be more limited for Sturridge and it seems like its a good piece of business, 2 games and 2 goals shows Bolton are getting the best out of Sturridge. I would expect one of either Drogba or Anelka to leave in the summer which will give a space to Sturridge to come back and hopefully fullfill his potential at Chelsea.

He will be a leading striker in England, if not the world.

He will be a leading striker in England, if not the world.

I hope so, every manager that has managed him has said he has everything he just needs to find a way to expose this week in week out and hopefully this loan deal can be the making of Sturridge.

I hope so, every manager that has managed him has said he has everything he just needs to find a way to expose this week in week out and hopefully this loan deal can be the making of Sturridge.
its like wilshere, prodigously talented, but he just needs the right exposure. His attitdue seems to have got a lot better since his move too, dropped some of that arrogance he seemed to put across

Yeh...Sturridge is an example of that Citys academy is pretty good even with the spending ;)
Now they only need to keep them :D

Last edited: