Arnesen to join Hamburg in summer

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Chelsea sporting director Frank Arnesen is to take up a similar role at Hamburg next season, BBC Sport understands.

More...

Great capture for Hamburg.

He's very good at what he does, Chelsea will be gutted he's leaving.

Great capture for Hamburg.

He's very good at what he does, Chelsea will be gutted he's leaving.

Yeah he's brought many many young players through the ranks at Chelsea to the first-team in his five and half years at the club hasn't he....:S (not)

Ray Wilkins first, now Arnesen. Something tells me Ancelotti isn't especially popular..

Can only be a step down for Arnesen, it's not like he's going home to Holland, but maybe he genuinely sees promise in their academy and wants to help them develop it...

Yeah he's brought many many young players through the ranks at Chelsea to the first-team in his five and half years at the club hasn't he....:S (not)

Hasn't brought them through, but he's brought them to the club.

McEachran, Kakuta, Bruma, Sala, Sturridge among others are all bound to break through eventually, but it's down to the manager to play them - not him.

Hasn't brought them through, but he's brought them to the club.

McEachran, Kakuta, Bruma, Sala, Sturridge among others are all bound to break through eventually, but it's down to the manager to play them - not him.

True, they are good players, but realistically, I can only see McEachran and maybe Sturridge in the first-team in the future.

True, they are good players, but realistically, I can only see McEachran and maybe Sturridge in the first-team in the future.

But they are all good players, capable of playing top level football in the future if developed correctly.

Best way to develop is match time, but he has no control over how much 1st team football they get. All he can do is find talent, sign it up, and hope they fully develop. Unfortunately that never happened for him at Chelsea as all the older players were still successful (Drogba, Lampard, Terry etc).

This season we're seeing a bit more of a youth movement at Chelsea, but they seem to be looking at buying them in (Torres, Luiz) and playing a few youngsters (McEachran, loaning out Sturridge etc)..

Jumping ship?

Ray Wilkins first, now Arnesen. Something tells me Ancelotti isn't especially popular..

Can only be a step down for Arnesen, it's not like he's going home to Holland, but maybe he genuinely sees promise in their academy and wants to help them develop it...

He came to Chelsea to set up a new acadamy programme to try and get Chelsea producing more quality youth talent. Now he has done that he feels its time to move on. Honesly every little thing that happens with Chelsea now all of a sudden its, off leaving a decling club etc. Arnesen is well known for not staying places long, he likes to make a difference at many clubs not just one and he is sensational at his job.

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 AM ----------

Van Aanholt will replace Cole 100%.

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

Wasn't his contract terminated?

Nah mate, he said he done what he wanted to do at Chelsea and he wants a new challenge. Fair play to the man he has done wonders at the club.