Legendismessi

Reaction score
Arrigo Sacchi-The Return

225px-Arrigo_Sacchi.jpg

Arrigo Sacchi is one of the world's most talented managers. His most famous days was his first spell at AC Milan when he won back-to-back European Cups. His Milan squad consisting of the famous Dutch trident-Frank Rijkaard, Ruud Gullit and Marco Van Basten-along with other stars like Franco Baresi, Roberto Donadoni and Paolo Maldini was among the best ever in footballing history-comparable to the Barcelona side that enthralls the world today.

So, one fine morning, when Liverpool Football Club announced that Kenny Dalglish had left the club after just six months in charge, during which he had led them to 7th place due to personal reasons, Arrigo Sacchi knew the time was right. After consulting his family, friends and other people close to him like those at Real Madrid, and his former Milan players-many of whom had now become managers themselves-he decided to announce his return from retirement.

And the Anfield club grabbed at the opportunity. Sensing that the time was right, they approached Sacchi with the managerial job, which the Italian was glad to accept.

And so, on July the 5th, 2011-this is what the LFC website headlines looked like:

The news was bound to shock the world. And shock it did. While many expected Sacchi to join a big team, they didn't think he would join Liverpool, not with their recent record of bad performances.

Sir Alex Ferguson (Manchester United): I think it's a great appointment they've made. I'm sure they'll make progress from here. We'll have to see whether he (Sacchi) is able to stand the pressure of a big club like Liverpool.

Pep Guardiola (Barcelona): It's amazing to be honest. Superb appointment and I hope he does well at Liverpool.

Jose Mourinho (Real Madrid): I think Liverpool are going to love this from now on. He's a great manager, he should do well from here.

Meanwhile, what the man himself have to say? Well, let's find out.

ARRIGO SACCHI, MANAGER, LIVERPOOL

"I'm really honoured to be a part of Liverpool. I've heard about it's greatness as a club. And I hope I can bring a few trophies to the club during my time here...My priority is of course...to get Liverpool back into the Champions League as soon as possible. We'll be eyeing a few trophies this season and then we'll be looking to set Europe alight in the next."

"As for transfers, I must confess I'm going to have to break the bank a bit now but it's going to help the club in the long run as I will follow a bit a of restrained policy in the future. And as far as possible, I'll build for the future."

Will he take Liverpool to new heights? That remains to be seen as he prepares for pre-season, transfers and a busy summer in general before the actual season sets in.