Gestalt

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm into my fourth season with Arsenal, and I've managed with a lot of luck to acquire a pretty well endowed squad. For the most part they are untouchable, except when they travel, I am 18 games in and although I am still unbeaten, I have 2nd place United away in a fixtures time, we're gonna get raped I feel.

At home we are unbeatable (jinx) Chelsea 5-1, Liverpool 3-0 Man City 3-0, Man U (league cup) 3-1, Blackburn 6-0, Fulham 6-0, Southampton 7-0. Away I've drawn all but 1 game. Even against lower half sides I end up conceding possession 60%-40% and scraping the draw with only maybe 2-3 shots per 90mins. That's not right.

My team:

Gk - Adler
LB - A. Cissokho, J. Enrique
RB - D Srna, B. Sagna
CB - T. Vermaelen, M. Hummels, J. Djourou (T. Silva - coming in January)
DM - J. Mascherano, L. Cana, A. Song
CM/AM - J. Wilshere, M. Hamsik, E. Hazard
WM - V. Persie, A. Arshavin, M. Gotze, Z. Labyad
ST - S. Aguero, K. Benzema, Neymar

They are my core players, I have some interesting regens, but they are only young and get mostly bench appearances/Cup games. Moral is high and I have no one unhappy, bar Arteta but he go bye bye in January, *****.

I realise that away means a slightly more conservative approach, but this is ridiculous! I have never asked for tactics before, I've always managed to tweak them myself and get the desired response, but I've been trialling formations for 3 seasons and I admit defeat on this one...

My home formation is an Asymmetric 4-4-2. With a wide right IF (Neymar) 16 games, 15 goals - all at home.

I guess I am looking for a tactic that will mean my players utilise the ball like they do at home to create more chances. Even if it means more possession and slow build up play. Anything....HEEEEELLLPP! :D

Thank you in advance. If there's any more info needed then please ask.

well i keep my tactics the same through out the season, but if its against he big sides and against big european teams, especially when away, i come to an defensive/counter attacking approach.

i have to say, must have cost you billions to get Gotze, Hazard, Aguero and Neymar :p

and did u sell Ramsey ?? *mentally does a facepalm*

Its hard to say what tweak you shall make if we dont know how you are playing. Perhaps upload your tactic and tell us about any shouts you might be using etc ?

Lol, no not sold Ramsey, he currently is recovering from a broken leg, out for 10-12 months, happened in the first game of the season against the filthy Liverpool, jokes.

As I said a bit of luck fell my way with those signings. Benzema and Mascherano were unhappy and was offered to me for 23.5m and 25m respectively, Gotze had a long term injury, value dropped and they accepted 30m at the start of the season. And the Aguero one I can't get my head around, I received a news email saying fans drooling at the prospect of Aguero so I offered 40m for a laugh and they accepted, had to sell a lot for that one. Anyway on with the show...

Here is the current formation:
View attachment 221716

I have my defenders playing a short passing game, hold on to the ball, and never run with ball. A normal Anchor. Midfielders play a mixed passing game, the right 2 running from deep, through balls. Both strikers run with ball often.

I have the team play through the middle, hit early crosses and retain possession.

Here are the Team Instructions:
View attachment 221718

I was perhaps thinking playing 5 at the back and having 2 of the CB's man mark their forwards, that should stop me conceding or at least lower the chances, as for creating more chances I have no idea, this team should be playing better than they are away...

Hope that's everything.

well it might take a while to settle for the new tactic.

but what i can suggest you is a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow formation. it helped me in my psg team for build one of the best defense in the ligue 1, in the process ManU, Mcity, and Chelsea keep sniffing in for Sahko lol. and yeah, no wingers in this formation.

in a 4-1-2-1-2

GK:
RB: Snra (ain't he old by then :p)
CB: T. Silva
CB: Hummels
LB: Jose Enrique

DM: Javier Masc./ Song
CM (ball winning): Hamsik /Song
CM (b2b or normal): Ramsey/ Whilshere
AMC (Playmaker or Attack): Hazard/Gotze/Wilshere

ST: Neymar
ST: Benzema/Aguero

Last edited:
Alright man I'll give it a shot, thanks. I must be honest and say I've not tried something so narrow due to the abundance of wingers in the squad, but needs must. What would you recommend for team instructions? Rigid/Fluid Press/Stand off etc... It will suit my pitch size which is the smallest it can go. I figured with the wealth of technical ability and passing skills I could benefit from a tighter pitch.

I hope this works, it's been so frustrating watching these guys at home tear sides apart, I've just played 3 home games on the bounce and seen them beat Sporting 2-0 (80mins with 10 men), Norwich 3-0 and Swansea 6-0. I've just counted and in 17 home games, conceded 3 (chelsea, spurs, burnley) and scored 56. Might consider posting it as a Home only (lol) formation, although I'm not exactly a household name here..

Thanks again, I'll give it a run.

Your players are all class and I think you should've win easily home or away. I've got a tactic wich almost every match I use. The 4-3-3 tactic wich actually looks like a 4-3-2-1 tactic. Just play a LB, RB, CB, BPD, AP, BWM, CM, 2 IF, and one lone CF. It works for me with some of my young talented players. Even when I use half my under 18's squad to play for the senior team, it still works well.

I followed a bit of advice from above and around the forums and decided I was just being.. how should I put it.. Stupid. I designed a classic 4-2-4 formation, very very attacking and kinda forgot about the defense, since then results have improved a tad. I replayed the impending away to Man U fixture I had and even with a 75% rating for the formation the result was *drum-roll* 7-0 to the gunners. with 68% possession and a majestic 31 shots with 19 on target, to make this seem more impressive D. De Gay (I know) was the man of the match.

I've now started a new game that might prove more of a challenge and given up on the Arsenal save. :D