Arsenal confirm talks underway over new deal for Robin van Persie

Joss

Reaction score
Arsenal confirm talks underway over new deal for Robin van Persie

• Forward has 18 months left on his current contract
• Arsène Wenger: 'I'm confident he'll sign a new deal'

Arsenal
have opened negotiations with Robin van Persie over extending his contract, Arsène Wenger has confirmed.

Van Persie, who has only 18 months remaining on his current deal, has been linked with Manchester City, but insisted earlier this month that he is committed to the club. He has scored nine goals in 13 games this season.

Wenger told the BBC: "He has 18 months to go and I'm confident he'll sign a new deal. I'm always confident."

The Dutch striker had previously dismissed reports that putting his house up for sale was a sign that he planned to move on.

"There have been many stories in the media lately. I am committed to Arsenal. That's how it is. I see stories which make me laugh but I can see how frustrating it is from the fans' point of view. I am committed to Arsenal. I am the captain. Don't believe everything you read.

"As for that house story, the house has been for sale for a while but I'm not living on the streets or anything. I have found a really nice house, and yes, it's in London. So I want to put that straight. I am committed and I will show that on the pitch."

The Guardian

Last edited:
If he signs that will be better than any possible signing Arsenal could have made in the summer- fantastic piece of news for the gunners.

I don't think he'd want a move to City.

At Arsenal, he's seen as the star man and is guaranteed playing time whenever he's available. At City, he'd be one of a number of options available to them and might not even fit as well into their system.

Still, I suppose it comes down to how much success he wants before he hangs up those boots of his.

He says he wants to stay in London, possibly replacement for Drogba at Chelsea? I reckon he'll leave tbh.

Certainly appears to be more loyal than Nasri for example. But I guess it a) is so difficult to tell nowadays. Liverpool fans thought Torres was loyal - look what happened there. And b) might not even come down to loyalty, or money. A player of Van Persie's quality - who's be so loyal for so long - deserves success and if we don't look likely to be providing any in the next few years then he may well leave.

He's only 28, though. So hardly in the final few years of his career... And I still think he owes us some loyalty at this point. He's been consistently excellent, but he's had his injury problems and the fans (and manager) have stuck with him throughout when it might have been easier to take the cash and sign someone capable of playing 30+ games a season. Afterall, he's only become REALLY quality in the past 2/3 years. Before that he was a good player but not necessarily world-class or indispensable.

I understand your point Joss.

If King somehow managed to get fit and play 40 games a season and moved elsewhere, I'd be livid.