Striker122

Reaction score
im currently in my 3rd season playing with arsenal, im using a fluid/control 4-2-3-1(CM) i feel my attacking side of the game is fine but my def is just shocking (kind of like arsenal of current) i play a fairly high line and quite narrow to encourage passing/possession football, my full backs are RB van der wiel/sagna and lb clichy/eric peiters both are set as full back support with a few tweeks to their PI namely attempting to make them slightly more def minded while also being a decent crossing outlet closing down is set to a click or 2 lower then the middle and they play a fairly short passing game, my CB's are varmalen djourou koscielny and jones they are very def with their closing down a few lower than the full backs, my CM's are a ball winning CM on def whos mentality is a few clicks away from defensive with closing down set to a click about middle my other CM is a box to box player whos mentality was set to slightly more defensive to attempt to help my def record.

My main issue is from through balls my players simply dont seem to be able to cut out the balls and this leads to an easy goal scoring chance for the oppo, just wondering what advice people suggest to fix this, i have tried the stopper cover combo in this and over tactics but i have never been able to perfect it and if anything it made my def even weaker

thanks in advance

A new centre-back and a goalkeeper with good rushing out, decisions, pace and one-on-ones.

Maybe set the centre-backs to limited defender roles with normal/attacking mentality and high pressing (whole pitch)? That's what I'm doing... :p

Hahahah, sorry, but ask Wenger for help XD
Anyway, if you have problems with through balls, play deeper def line or maybe sweeper keeper. On match preparation you should tick "defensive position", just to make sure. Also, if that doesn't work, maybe you should buy some better CB's ? Mats Hummels is good.

seems like an advert Arsene Wenger would put in classified lol

well i still have scezney who is around 22 and still improving i have never used a sw keeper before ill try that and a deeper line ill also look a new cb's as djourou and koscielny seem to be weak links any other advice ? thanks for the help so far :)

well i still have scezney who is around 22 and still improving i have never used a sw keeper before ill try that and a deeper line ill also look a new cb's as djourou and koscielny seem to be weak links any other advice ? thanks for the help so far :)

No point in using a sweeper-keeper with a high d-line..

Jan Vertonghen. I would say a must buy for any big teams.

Anyway, if your main problem is against through balls, play deeper d-line and narrow. Also, stand-off opponent would work since it will force the opponent to shoot from range.
Mark tightly and close down opponents' playmaker. Check out their PPM, close down tightly those with "Tries Killer Ball Often". Specifically mark him if necessary with your CM or DM. Also, get fast CB to prevent through balls. The way to counter fast strikers is to play fast defenders. Acceleration, Pace, Concentration, Positioning, Tackling, and Marking are important.
I think it's not a problem getting all round defenders for team like Arsenal.

Last edited:
I am playing as Arsenal, play a 4-1-4-1 with 1 holding midfielder, Alex Song, rarely concede a goal, went about 5 games without conceding. Although not scoring much, had a couple of 1-0 victories. Signed Phil Jagielka for £9M, quality centre back.

Last edited: