• Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 2K

Calum

Reaction score
Arsenal doing better than 'big mouth' rivals, says Robin van Persie

• Van Persie: 'We are still ahead of City and Chelsea'
• 'I still strongly believe in my club's philosophy,' says forward

robin-van-persie-007.jpg

Robin van Persie is confident Arsenal can finish the season as the Premier League champions but he feels the club have proved a point to their "big mouth" rivals, Manchester City and Chelsea.
"I still strongly believe in my club's philosophy," Van Persie said. "A club like Manchester City change their philosophy every year and Chelsea spent about €80m this season ... two clubs who had a big mouth before the season, thinking that Arsenal wouldn't play a role in the title race but we are still ahead of them. And just by playing our own game, through our own philosophy."

Arsenal's philosophy of living within their means has conflicted with the approach at City and Chelsea, where big-money outlays in the transfer market have accelerated progress. Chelsea spent £71m in January on Fernando Torres and David Luiz to signal their intent to compete over the second half of the season and return stronger in 2011-12.
Yet Van Persie's distaste with Chelsea runs deeper. The striker collected a second yellow card in the second leg of Arsenal's Champions League last-16 defeat to Barcelona for shooting after the whistle had gone and he accused the Spanish team's players of putting unfair pressure on the referee Massimo Busacca. It is a tactic that he has come to associate with Chelsea.

"What frustrated me very much," Van Persie said, "was that the Barcelona players were trying to influence the referee from the first minute. They were talking and complaining all the time, without being punished. I don't like that kind of acting. It has nothing to do with fair play. The referee was clearly influenced by that. He lost the plot completely.
"Of course, every team tries to take some advantage by talking to the referee at crucial moments in the game ... you have to be smart in some way. But not all the time, over and over again. In England, Chelsea have the same kind of behaviour towards the referee. They talk and they talk. Over and over. On every decision. It's getting annoying sometimes."

Arsenal are under intense pressure to win the title to end a six-year wait for silverware, after losing in each of the three cup competitions that they were involved in over the past month or so. Samir Nasri, the Arsenal midfielder, said recently that it was "now or never" for his club to win the championship while Harry Redknapp, the Tottenham Hotspur manager, said that Arsenal were "the only team with a clear run at it ... you'd have to think they've got the best chance they're ever going to have".
It feels as if despite their free-flowing football, Arsenal will be judged at the end of May on whether they have ended the trophy drought. They remain in control of their title-winning destiny and would overhaul Manchester United to be crowned as champions if they could win their remaining nine matches, which includes a trip to Tottenham and the game with United at the Emirates Stadium.

Van Persie, will not allow the background noise, the burning desire or the near misses to blur his focus. "Winning trophies is a big thing for me," he said. "It is very frustrating but it's not in my head all the time. It might influence other players but, for me, it's not an obsession. I did win prizes in my career, I know how to do it. It's about keeping focus, about just playing your game. If you keep playing your game, you'll get rewarded some time.

"The Carling Cup final [defeat to Birmingham City] was really frustrating and it did influence our game in the weeks after. The game was bizarre ... it really showed that every game has its own story. But I still strongly believe in our title chances. We have a great team, with great focus. Everyone within the club is really positive about our chances."

LINK TO ORIGINAL GUARDIAN ARTICLE

Well, he has a point, albeit one he's put over in a bit of a skewed manner.

That Nasri quote is completely taken out of context, but some good statement from Van Persie - you saw how much he cares about the club etc. when he scored against Barca and went over to hug AW.

A bit biased... although that isn't the right word. A bit like biased, but in the sense that he doesn't know that he's doing it.

Are you trying to say Busacca DIDN'T lose the plot? :S

No, however i find it very annoying how arsenal are using the sending off as an excuse for losing, they were outplayed for 180 minutes. :)

He's right about being ahead of Man City but imo Arsenal are certainly not ahead of Chelsea. If Chelsea didn't have their mid season blip then they would probably be cruising atm.

No, however i find it very annoying how arsenal are using the sending off as an excuse for losing, they were outplayed for 180 minutes. :)

It is an excuse because it was 1-1 when he got sent off. I think we maybe could have got through if he stayed on

I need to find out a way to restrain Joss over the net, because he will come and skewer you with his righteous rage.

It is an excuse because it was 1-1 when he got sent off. I think we maybe could have got through if he stayed on

You have your opinion, that's fair enough. You're an arsenal fan so i wasn't expecting you to say anything else, and that too is fair enough. From a neutral's point of view it was clear Barca were the better team, VP was virually non-existant at the nou camp and even at 1-1 you could see the pressure building. I'm not meaning to cause any anger with what i'm saying, i'm just telling you what i personally feel :)

Yes you could have gone through but Barcelona didn't have everything go their way and at times had some harsh calls go against them.

Very poor man's barca when it comes to talking about philosophy. There was no need to mention Chelsea. He just brought them out of nowhere. I have seen Arsenal talking to ref as much as any team in the league. Nasri, Fabregas are all guilty of it.

But he is bang on about the title challenge. People wrote them off and they answered it back..

I don't think we are using it as an excuse to be honest. I think everyone has accepted that Barca deserved to go through, and that they were the better team. The only thing Van Persie's talking about is the reaction of the Barcelona players for the whole game, on which he has a point, but let's not get into that.

The other thing he has said previously is that the referee "killed" the game - he's not the reason we lost, but he effectively gave us no chance for the rest of the tie, away to Barcelona, after 50 minutes or whatever it was.

He's right about being ahead of Man City but imo Arsenal are certainly not ahead of Chelsea. If Chelsea didn't have their mid season blip then they would probably be cruising atm.

Disagree. You can flip that & simply say that if Arsenal hadn't had a blip after Eduardo's injury in 2008, we would have won the league - Chelsea had a blip, Arsenal had a blip at the start of the season - losing to Newcastle, WBA, Partizan, Braga etc.

Utd have done the exact same thing as us - taken advantage. Utd have hardly been overwhelming this season, neither have Arsenal. But we are above Chelsea at the moment - quite simply, we're above them in the table, just as Utd are us. That's all he said, to be fair.

I need to find out a way to restrain Joss over the net, because he will come and skewer you with his righteous rage.

Hahahaa.

How about the penalty the was not given when Messi was fouled and the goal that was wrongly ruled out. Barca clearly deserved it. There is no 2 way about it. With or without sending off.

Very poor man's barca when it comes to talking about philosophy. There was no need to mention Chelsea. He just brought them out of nowhere. I have seen Arsenal talking to ref as much as any team in the league. Nasri, Fabregas are all guilty of it.

But he is bang on about the title challenge. People wrote them off and they answered it back..

Not really.. He admitted Arsenal do it, and every team does it - Barca dived and moaned an outrageous amount in both legs, though.

He mentioned Chelsea because he feels (rightly or wrongly) that they do the same thing, go over to the ref and try to influence his decision whenever something happens. It wasn't really out of nowhere.

You have your opinion, that's fair enough. You're an arsenal fan so i wasn't expecting you to say anything else, and that too is fair enough. From a neutral's point of view it was clear Barca were the better team, VP was virually non-existant at the nou camp and even at 1-1 you could see the pressure building. I'm not meaning to cause any anger with what i'm saying, i'm just telling you what i personally feel :)

I agree Barca were the better team :)

Not really.. He admitted Arsenal do it, and every team does it - Barca dived and moaned an outrageous amount in both legs, though.

He mentioned Chelsea because he feels (rightly or wrongly) that they do the same thing, go over to the ref and try to influence his decision whenever something happens. It wasn't really out of nowhere.

Then why point finger at other teams?

Back