Arsenal fight Koscielny red card

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Arsenal appeal against the red given to Laurent Koscielny in Sunday's 1-0 defeat by Newcastle.

More...

I think it was the right call. Ranger is a quick lad and would proberly be left with a goal scoring chance.

You could say im biased but squillici was coming round but i really dont know

it was never a red

Last edited:
He was the last man, running through at goal, Squilacci was never going to catch him.

The Arsenal fans cannot deny it. It was a straight red.

Squilacci would never have got near Ranger had Koscielny not pulled him back. He was the last man so it was a red for me.

The Arsenal fans cannot deny it. It was a straight red.

lol. We can, and are...

Squillaci may have caught him, Ranger admittedly is fast but he's a long way out and tbh you can't say he has a clear goalscoring opp when he's 30 yards out +

If Thud can get away with stamping on Elmander, I think Koscielny can get away with having a little shirt tug 30 yards out.

Oh and if Mancini can suggest Balotelli shouldn't have been sent off, then so can we =)

lol. We can, and are...

Squillaci may have caught him, Ranger admittedly is fast but he's a long way out and tbh you can't say he has a clear goalscoring opp when he's 30 yards out +

If Thud can get away with stamping on Elmander, I think Koscielny can get away with having a little shirt tug 30 yards out.

Oh and if Mancini can suggest Balotelli shouldn't have been sent off, then so can we =)

Lets not forget the PremierLeague can still punish Huddlestone as the ref didn't take action during the game.

Another example of football managers not knowing the laws of the game. There is no law stating dismissal for being the last man. There is a law stating denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. Would Nile Ranger, in all likelihood, have got a clear shot on goal? Yes he would. Therefore correct decision. Clear red card. No chance of being overturned.

Another example of football managers not knowing the laws of the game. There is no law stating dismissal for being the last man. There is a law stating denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. Would Nile Ranger, in all likelihood, have got a clear shot on goal? Yes he would. Therefore correct decision. Clear red card. No chance of being overturned.

? He can get a clear shot on goal from anywhere he wants, doesn't mean he would
a) score it and
b) therefore justify a sending off for any player who brings him down.

The point about being the last man is that if he isn't, then he isn't denying a goalscoring opportunity, because there is another player covering (other than the keeper) who can prevent him from scoring...

In this case, it isn't a clear scoring opportunity, because he's 30 yards out as I've already said, and and he's also only about 5 yards from the touchline meaning he still has a bit of work to do if he's going to get into a good goalscoring position, unless he's going to shoot from there? Squillaci isn't the quickest player, but by the time Koscielny has "fouled"* Ranger and passed the ball to Squillaci, he's on the edge of his area, suggesting that he could have caught Ranger before he got into a CLEAR goalscoring position.

*To add insult to injury, Ranger makes a meal out of the challenge. Koscielny has a hold of his shirt, and he goes down like he's been shot. We'll see tomorrow if it's overturned, but Wenger wouldn't appeal if he didn't think it had a good chance of being overturned.

a) score it and

The point about being the last man is that if he isn't, then he isn't denying a goalscoring opportunity, because there is another player covering (other than the keeper) who can prevent him from scoring...

In this case, it isn't a clear scoring opportunity, because he's 30 yards out as I've already said, and and he's also only about 5 yards from the touchline meaning he still has a bit of work to do if he's going to get into a good goalscoring position, unless he's going to shoot from there? Squillaci isn't the quickest player, but by the time Koscielny has "fouled"* Ranger and passed the ball to Squillaci, he's on the edge of his area, suggesting that he could have caught Ranger before he got into a CLEAR goalscoring position.

*To add insult to injury, Ranger makes a meal out of the challenge. Koscielny has a hold of his shirt, and he goes down like he's been shot. We'll see tomorrow if it's overturned, but Wenger wouldn't appeal if he didn't think it had a good chance of being overturned.

^ All irrelevant.

Koscielny was the last man,

Last edited:
a) score it and

Dont agree with you so will leave it at that except this part:

*To add insult to injury, Ranger makes a meal out of the challenge

He learnt this from Arsenal - Ask Celtic fans :P

we should never a red

Eh?

Anyway, doubt the decision will be overturned. Can argue about whether it should have been red all day but still FA won't want to overrule the ref.

It was a red card. He was terrible anyways, perhaps it's a favour him being suspended, I don't know.

^ All irrelevant.

I know you're just a kid, but surely you're old enough to know what the word 'irrelevant' means. He was talking about why the red card shouldn't have stood (I have no judgement as I've yet to see it) so it is all relevant.

Thin it should be overturned, it wasnt a clear goalscoring oppertunity as there was a covering defender. It wont be though

I know you're just a kid, but surely you're old enough to know what the word 'irrelevant' means. He was talking about why the red card shouldn't have stood (I have no judgement as I've yet to see it) so it is all relevant.

Fair enough, poor choice of words.

I meant to say that it's wrong as Koscielny was the last man and most of the points he gave were not true :)

Back