rrj2415

Reaction score
Could someone please offer me a setup of how to get the most out of Ozil with arsenal's front four in a 4-2-3-1;

giroud
sanchez-ozil-walcott (will look to replace Walcott)

is Mesut a definite advanced playmaker like I'd expect him to be, if so what duty? Or would he find himself playing best as a treq? I have tried using him in all of these different roles and he has been terrible usually struggling to pass match ratings of 6.5 in pre season friendlies making me not want to play him. But with him being a player I admire in real life I'd love for him to do well for me.

1. Whatbis his best role and duty and why?
2. Giving what duties to my wide men being inside forwards or wingers would compliment Ozil?
3. Would it be beneficial to play giroud as a deep lying forward (s) to allow him to link up and help out Mesut as he does in real life, or should I have him as a poacher/advanced forward on the shoulder of their last defender to give Ozil a bit more space in the pocket?
4. Would he thrive off the formation being narrow/wide or tempo being high/low?

Will really appreciate help to get him to his best and assisting Arsenal to glory in my save.

What roles have you tried with your front 4 so far?

For now, I will consider going with this, provided the rest of your team is set up properly.

DLF(Att) - Giroud, to pin back the central defenders and probably also do lay off to the on rushing players.
IF(Att) - Sanchez, to give support to Giroud quicker.
AP(S) - Ozil, will sit in the hole to provide the killer passes.
IF(S) - Walcott, will be quick enough to get with his pace.

What roles have you tried with your front 4 so far?

For now, I will consider going with this, provided the rest of your team is set up properly.

DLF(Att) - Giroud, to pin back the central defenders and probably also do lay off to the on rushing players.
IF(Att) - Sanchez, to give support to Giroud quicker.
AP(S) - Ozil, will sit in the hole to provide the killer passes.
IF(S) - Walcott, will be quick enough to get with his pace.

thanks I will gove this a try. About the TI's do you think a quicker tempo could help him to play the ball quicker possible with more of a chance to play it out wide before a full back is in position or a slower tempo would help with him having more time on the ball? Also a wider width allowing him to play the ball out to the wise men in more space, or a narrower width with them being closer to him, do you know which set up usually gets the best out of an advanced forward?

I would use Sanches as the right Inside Forward and Ozil as Advanced Playmaker (Attack)

Depending on your strategy, if you are already playing at a fast pace, you risk losing the ball more if you add in quicker tempo. Maybe you like to consider making your playmakers learn switch ball to the other flank ppm instead. Are you using 2 wingbacks so that they bomb forward to support the 2 IFs?

View attachment 158089View attachment 158087View attachment 158086

This is what i mean, I would be expecting a player of Mesut Ozil's quality to be getting at least a 7.3 every game but no he's always a liability to my side so I am always having to bring him off due to under-performing. His 1 and only assist was whipping a corner in that koscielny headed in as he scored two against chelsea lol. Also as you can see Ozil's average rating is really suffering when I would like him to be one of my standout players. On the other hand I am getting nice success from my full backs.

Last edited:
It seems like you have 2 set of TIs.

Firstly, what's your reason for pumping the ball into the ball in the TI screenshot? With this TI, you are trying to tell your team to bypass your playermakers.

Secondly, in your last screenshot, you have shorter passing, play out of defence, work ball into box and lower tempo(I believe it is as I can't see it completely), all these TIs will slow your attack down and gives your opposition time set up their defence. I believe you chose control because you want to play at a quicker pace, right? I will suggest removing play out of defence and lower tempo so that the ball can get to Ozil faster.

Thirdly, your CM pairing is not really defensively sound. In a 4-2-3-1, your 2 CMs are suppose to protect your front 4 and the 2 fullbacks who should bomb forward to provide the width for your IFs. You want to choose 2 roles that sit and protect the defence. A BWM is certainly not a role as he will go hunting for the ball.

Lastly, you can achieve the TIs you are trying to fit in now by just switching to counter + shorter passing(to shorten the defenders passing). A counter strategy has lower tempo, shorten the passing of your attacking players, a narrower width and a deeper d-line.

It seems like you have 2 set of TIs.

Firstly, what's your reason for pumping the ball into the ball in the TI screenshot? With this TI, you are trying to tell your team to bypass your playermakers.

Secondly, in your last screenshot, you have shorter passing, play out of defence, work ball into box and lower tempo(I believe it is as I can't see it completely), all these TIs will slow your attack down and gives your opposition time set up their defence. I believe you chose control because you want to play at a quicker pace, right? I will suggest removing play out of defence and lower tempo so that the ball can get to Ozil faster.

Thirdly, your CM pairing is not really defensively sound. In a 4-2-3-1, your 2 CMs are suppose to protect your front 4 and the 2 fullbacks who should bomb forward to provide the width for your IFs. You want to choose 2 roles that sit and protect the defence. A BWM is certainly not a role as he will go hunting for the ball.

Lastly, you can achieve the TIs you are trying to fit in now by just switching to counter + shorter passing(to shorten the defenders passing). A counter strategy has lower tempo, shorten the passing of your attacking players, a narrower width and a deeper d-line.

Right sorry I hadn't even seen that screenshot was wrong, I must have changed it by mistake without realising as I have never decided to use pump ball into box, however work ball into box was meant to be on. That could be the reason for my problems but I will also take into account what you have said. I would like to control games but I'm wary of mertesacker being too slow to play a high defensive line and koscielny probably isn't as quick in fm as he is in real life. What would your advice be on this? And a cm (d) with a dlp (s) in midfield?

I'm also sure that I had shorter passing selected although I can't recall that 100%

Yes, you can try dropping the d-line a notch to help your slow defence. A CM(D) - DLP(S) should be fine.

for me it would be:

DLF(Attack) - Giroud
IF(Support) - Sanchez
AM(Attack) - Ozil
IF(Support) – Oxlade-Chamberlain