Arsenal lose Van Persie & Walcott

If you are a ManU supporter why would you support Arsenal in the Champions League?

Because Arsenal is an English club? Maybe if the strongest team gets eliminated then we have good chance of winning it..?

Because Arsenal is an English club? Maybe if the strongest team gets eliminated then we have good chance of winning it..?

Well it's definitely not because they're in English club, I mean, no one was saying they wanted Chelsea to beat Copenhagen because they're English. Anyway, I've never heard of real fans that always root for their country in continental competitions...in real life people root against their rivals, always. Even if the nation is a smaller footballing nation. Benfica and Sporting fans definitely weren't rooting for Porto when they won the Champions League (and I actually would have if I were in their shoes).

The second reason makes sense though. I personally think ManU won't win the competition though. I bet they will get drawn with Real Madrid in the next round since the revenue such a match would generate would be out of this world, and of course it's what everyone wants to see. I don't think they'll be able to beat Real Madrid, who has been stellar this season. If either Cristiano Ronaldo or Xabi Alonso is out though, I think ManU will win comfortably. The two teams on the other side of the bracket would probably be the easiest, too, so if that happens, ManU will probably be in the final. I guess you'll just have to hope that one of those two players gets injured.

Robin van Persie is a class forward, but like Torres, he is unfortunately very injury prone. If he wasn't so injury prone, he would be amazing, maybe even better than Villa. Walcott will be missed too, he's been on good form this season. This is terrible news for Arsenal, I feel for them.

Anyway, I've never heard of real fans that always root for their country in continental competitions...in real life people root against their rivals, always. Even if the nation is a smaller footballing nation. Benfica and Sporting fans definitely weren't rooting for Porto when they won the Champions League (and I actually would have if I were in their shoes).

Lot's of Italians rooted for Inter last year. Even A.C fans.

Lot's of Italians rooted for Inter last year. Even A.C fans.

This is really surprising and I doubt there were too many...I've heard many stories of opposing Italian fans greeting the foreign teams with flowers when they came to play their rivals. Maybe the lack of Italian success recently made them make an exception and root for Inter. I'm just saying I've never met anyone who roots for the teams in their country just for patriotic reasons, you root against your rivals no matter what. I think the exception is when your nation is a small footballing nation, you might want to see a team from your country do well. But it's not like England or Italy are small footballing nations.

Well it's definitely not because they're in English club, I mean, no one was saying they wanted Chelsea to beat Copenhagen because they're English. Anyway, I've never heard of real fans that always root for their country in continental competitions...in real life people root against their rivals, always. Even if the nation is a smaller footballing nation. Benfica and Sporting fans definitely weren't rooting for Porto when they won the Champions League (and I actually would have if I were in their shoes).

The second reason makes sense though. I personally think ManU won't win the competition though. I bet they will get drawn with Real Madrid in the next round since the revenue such a match would generate would be out of this world, and of course it's what everyone wants to see. I don't think they'll be able to beat Real Madrid, who has been stellar this season. If either Cristiano Ronaldo or Xabi Alonso is out though, I think ManU will win comfortably. The two teams on the other side of the bracket would probably be the easiest, too, so if that happens, ManU will probably be in the final. I guess you'll just have to hope that one of those two players gets injured.

I dont want to turn this thread into another United thread. We are good enough to beat Real Madrid.

Yes, many support Arsenal because Barca are real threat for every team. So earlier they get eliminated, better it is for other teams.

I think Bendtner can do job against Barca but they desperately need Walcott. His pace unsetlles any team and against Barca as teams play counter attacking game, Arsenal will miss Walcott. Still think he will make it though.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

This is really surprising and I doubt there were too many...I've heard many stories of opposing Italian fans greeting the foreign teams with flowers when they came to play their rivals. Maybe the lack of Italian success recently made them make an exception and root for Inter. I'm just saying I've never met anyone who roots for the teams in their country just for patriotic reasons, you root against your rivals no matter what. I think the exception is when your nation is a small footballing nation, you might want to see a team from your country do well. But it's not like England or Italy are small footballing nations.

Maybe German clubs and supporters beg to differ.

Laurent Blanc once said he was surprised that most English people don't support other english teams in the Champions League. He said that people should be proud of a team that represents their country.
I personally know loads of French people who were supporting Monaco in '04 and Italians last year and in '07

Laurent Blanc once said he was surprised that most English people don't support other english teams in the Champions League. He said that people should be proud of a team that represents their country.
I personally know loads of French people who were supporting Monaco in '04 and Italians last year and in '07

I support Arsenal in England, but no one else (bar Liverpool) in Europe.

Yeah, injury prone player gets an injury. Oh wow

In the case of England though those teams don't represent their country as they are composed of foreign players usually.

It is a bit different for the French because they are never successful in the Champions League...the Dutch and even the Portuguese have been much more successful, even though many consider their leagues to be smaller. So I could see the French doing that. As for the Germans, I could possibly see them doing that too since German teams also struggle in the Champions league, much more so than the 'Big 3,' even though the Bundesliga is just as good as any of those leagues (from top to bottom, it is better, but they just don't have any really stellar teams usually). With the Italians it surprises me a lot, but they do tend to be really nationalistic. Still, it's different from most of what I've heard, that the other teams' supporters heavily favor the foreign team. I definitely would if I were in their shoes.

ffs didnt they have the same kind of injury problems against Barcelona last season??