Arsenal name Fabregas as captain

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger names Cesc Fabregas as their captain, but says William Gallas will continue to play for the club.

More...

Good choice although I think Kolo would have been a better choice

Good choice although I think Kolo would have been a better choice

Kolo has had his chance, if he was going to be Captain it would have happened by now. If a man can not make the side, he can not captain it.
Cesc understands what Arsenal is about, he was raised professionally by our unbeatables.
William Gallas was not Arsenal. He never will be.

Hopefully this appointment will help Cesc recapture his form from last season and bring back respect to the club.

http://www.oleole.com/blogs/arseblog <--this blog shares my opinion 100%.

The whole thing has been blown out of preportion. Roy Keane slated Man U a good few times but he stayed on as captain. Gallas is only speaking the truth

Yeah but Keane had been our captain for years, and never suggested there was dressing room unrest. Plus, the first time he proper panned the players, he got kicked out of the club.

The whole thing has been blown out of preportion. Roy Keane slated Man U a good few times but he stayed on as captain. Gallas is only speaking the truth

Roy Keane was not caught breaking manager curfew and smoking a crafty dart by the papers either. Roy Keane did not give the press an open invitation to the Arsenal dressing room by leaking comments to the media. Roy Keane never once threatened to score an own goal if he did not get his own way.

Roy Keane would never have left his team mates to have a tantrum at the other end of the pitch.

Arsenal need someone like Roy Keane, someone like Paddy Vieira, right now Cesc is the closest option to that kind of figurehead status.
I still wonder what Martin Keown would say to Gallas if he were playing beside him...

Please do not compare Gallas to Keane in any sense what so ever.

I understand the whole big deal about Gallas going off on one about the dressing room unrest, what I really can't understand is the cigarette incident. Big woop he smoked one cigarette on the way out of a nightclub and all of a sudden he's no longer supposed to be a human being. Footballers are humans, even they enjoy the odd cigarette you know. Just ask Joey Barton. Infact why don't you ask Fowler as well?

I understand the whole big deal about Gallas going off on one about the dressing room unrest, what I really can't understand is the cigarette incident. Big woop he smoked one cigarette on the way out of a nightclub and all of a sudden he's no longer supposed to be a human being. Footballers are humans, even they enjoy the odd cigarette you know. Just ask Joey Barton. Infact why don't you ask Fowler as well?

Gallas is as slow as sh*te. If you saw the Kiev game you'd know what I mean, at one stage he showed Bangoura far too much space and almost gifted them the lead.

Having a *** doesn't exactly promote elite fitness. ;)

Being slow is nothing to do with smoking. Being slow is nothing to do with pace. At the minute I could beat most of my friends at 100 metres. Smoking just affects long-distance fitness. Being a defender I hardly reckon he's going to be running marathons every game do you?

With Gallas' attacking runs upfield (that have proved fruitful) leaving the backline exposed recently, I do.
But I suppose your definition of long distance may be different to mine. I smoke when I'm out for the evening with friends/family and am quite sure I could not run the (upwards of) 6000m players run in a game.

All of this discussion also does not mention the fact that Gallas was out at a niteclub with Chelsea players during a week when his football club was feeling the effects of some shocking losses. I was more shocked to see that kind of 'late-night' picture when he was responsible for a number of Arsene's defensive frailties.

Perhaps the fact I support the club Gallas tried to Captain makes me a little more critical than the average punter? After Arsenal's performances so far this season I couldn't just shrug and laugh any more.

Captain Fabtastic is a much better option.

With Gallas' attacking runs upfield (that have proved fruitful) leaving the backline exposed recently, I do.
But I suppose your definition of long distance may be different to mine. I smoke when I'm out for the evening with friends/family and am quite sure I could not run the (upwards of) 6000m players run in a game.

All of this discussion also does not mention the fact that Gallas was out at a niteclub with Chelsea players during a week when his football club was feeling the effects of some shocking losses. I was more shocked to see that kind of 'late-night' picture when he was responsible for a number of Arsene's defensive frailties.

Perhaps the fact I support the club Gallas tried to Captain makes me a little more critical than the average punter? After Arsenal's performances so far this season I couldn't just shrug and laugh any more.

Captain Fabtastic is a much better option.

So you're saying that when teams are losing they can't go out on a nightout? As far as I'm concerned as long as they aren't battered and perform at training, there's no problem. I think Gallas can be a bit of an arsewipe, but I think the flak for that incident is a little o.t.t.