jonathan424

Reaction score
Can someone give me a general overview of how to play arsenal? Im currently using a 4-2-3-1 formation that is fluid with touchline instructions of retain possession, pass to space, shorter passing, work ball into box, look for overlap, hassle opponents, more expressive. Yet I still cant win matches please help anyone!!!

Can someone give me a general overview of how to play arsenal? Im currently using a 4-2-3-1 formation that is fluid with touchline instructions of retain possession, pass to space, shorter passing, work ball into box, look for overlap, hassle opponents, more expressive. Yet I still cant win matches please help anyone!!!
Tbf, nor is Arsenal. [TrollFace]

Jokes aside, what tempo have you set? and to go "more expressive" your players should have good decision making stats.

And if you use hassle opponents and retain possession, you have to press high up the pitch and it's risky (like Arsenal got thumped at Bridge) so revert to counter tactics in difficult away games.

I didint set any tempo but i thought since arsenal's overall creativity is quite high the be more expressive option would be useful

I feel so fking frustrated now. Everything that I try for my arsenal team has failed to work. I really need an arsenal tactic badly. Pls someone help me find back my love for the game!!

First of all, kick Cazorla out because he'll shoot a lot more than requires, play with high tempo and remove pass to space and retain possession, keep shorter passing.

Shorter passing, Work ball into the box, Play through defence, High line, Play Wider, Hassle opponents. I never use offside trap since it doesn't work well if you play one defender on cover duty, Keep fullbacks on WB (support) so they play more like wide midfielders than wingers, it helps. Play on attacking mentality and fluid and make it control and lower tempo, add retain possession when you go up by 2 or more goals.

Let the tactic get fluid but IT WILL NOT work in every game, just like it won't in real life and Arsenal keeps losing to teams who can counter it. Avoid using it in away games against top teams, should work against bottom teams and almost every team when you play at home.

Thanks man, I hope this would be helpful. U played arsenal with this tactic? But player roles is up to my decision right?

Since I'm a Chelsea fan, I can not fathom managing Arsenal. I'd intentionally lose if I tried. Yeah you can do player roles as you want. I prefer to have wingers with good dribbling ability had Dribble more instruction to add something different to possession football.

How about the more expressive instruction? Since arsenal has alot of creative players?

See, when you use Fluid, the creative freedom is already good enough, the mentality also affects creative freedom, and with "more expressive" some players will try to do things on their own and sometimes wasting their chances. I introduce this instructions in some games where I'm unable to create chances and shots after like 40 minutes you know you haven't created many chances and stats are poo.

My midfield 5 is Hazard, Januzaj, Draxler, Thiago (Alacantra) and Pogba. All 3 capable of playing through balls and have high creativity stat, on fluid they already have enough freedom to express themselves and will do their thing. There are often some defence splitting delicious passes by most of these players, even though I tend to use one pure defensive player in midfield.

Also if you see that things aren't working in a match, sometimes changing tempo, or setting "run at defence" and more direct passing to break the deadlock can work too, then if you score, go back. And so on, a tactic isn't going to work the same way in every game.

Passing completion etc are higher at home and less prone to errors, so you can chose to go high tempo at home and low away. And to keep every kind of instructions trained, my 2nd tactic is usually with control mentality (first being attacking) with low tempo (first with high tempo) and third is usually counter, more direct passing and run at defence, so in a way my team's capable of doing anything.

Got my first friendly win 3-2 after 2nd attempt of trying tjos tactic:). Btw how do u stop the opposition from scoring so many goals?

After my tactics are fluid, my general training almost always remains on defending and match training on attacking movement. Also conceding in one match isn't problem, play at least 10 then report. Btw having a CB with dives into tackles PPM is a good thing, only in one the more aggressive the better. And one less aggressive with more anticipation, play him on cover. Even though it completely destroys offside trap, it's handy.

My current pair is Kurt Zouma and Doria, both fast, requires for high line. And my Shot Stopper is Thibaut Courtois, whose shot save percentage is very high.

I also noticed that I only followed ur touchline instructions. Its means that Im free to alter my formations rite? Juz realised that in this forum ppl are posting about specific formations and player roles for their tactics to be effective

Ah yes, you're also free to alter touchline instructions if you see something's not working in a match. I also keep altering formations during a match, for eg if I sometimes start a 4-3-3 and see that a lack of playmaker in the hole behind striker is needed, I pull out a no.10 even after 25 minutes and so on.

Players roles can also be anything you want although a hard working #10 on AP (support) and roam from position instruction works in a very good way for me. He provides an option to pass to everyone and keeps running.

Still anyway my starting formation is 4-2-3-1 (the "2" has 1 DM and 1CM, not 2CMs or 2DMs).

I and a few others have had a lot of success with Artisan's Magic Rectangle for Arsenal

Since Wenger doesn't buy wingers anymore and Walcott fancies himself a striker it seemed perfect ;)

I did have to buy two good DMs though for it to work but believe it or not Giroud is a beast in that tactic:

Half season with Arsenal, 1st so far with original Magic Box with Nezza corners:

Results
View attachment 541596

Formation:
View attachment 541599

Strikers: Walcott, Vela, Giroud, Podolski, Sanogo
AM: Ozil, Ramsay, Wilshere, Rosicky
DM: Schneiderlin, Gonalons, Flamini, Kallstrom
CB: Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Sagna
RB: Danilo, Sagna, Jenkinson
LB: Gibbs. Monreal

Somehow Giroud is a beast in this formation.

Stats:
View attachment 541619

Last edited:
Can arsenal play a high line with koscielny and Mertesacker?

the quick answer is yes, ive won the league repeatedly with arsenal playing a high line and kos and BFG (mertesacker) as my starting central defensive pair.

have a look at the guides on the SI GAMES tactics forum. there are three guides there on how to build a tactic, as well as a pairs and combinations guide, that will change the way you play the game. It becomes to much more satisfying once you develop your own tactic, rather than using others and not understanding why they are or arent working.

the second page of this thread, linked, http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2014-tactics/152070-arsenal-possession-tactic-2.html, is the tactic i developed after reading those guides. The attacking and defending tactics in that thread have won me the league in the first year with, arsenal, stoke, southampton, nwecastle, chelsea, and manu.

there is not a single way to play the game, there are almost infinite ways, so dont listen to specific tactical proclamations, like the ones made in this thread. They key is to understand how you'd like your team to play first. Its like drawing. Artists dont just start drawing, they visualize before hand, same with golf, if you can see how you'd like to play, you are halfway there already.

I strongly urge you to go to the SI GAMES community forums and check out the top 3/4 guides in the tactics section.

dont listen to specific tactical proclamations, like the ones made in this thread. They key is to understand how you'd like your team to play first.

Ah ****, I read the OP wrong. I thought he asked how to play "The arsenal way" like the trend is on this forum. That's why I made so called "specific" tactical proclamations even though I completely said in my above posts that he is free to change instructions any way he wants but also told him the affects it will have.

My "specific" set of instructions was guidelines by specific way to play, the way Wenger does and many Arsenal fans (countless) ask to play that way.

Ah ****, I read the OP wrong. I thought he asked how to play "The arsenal way" like the trend is on this forum. That's why I made so called "specific" tactical proclamations even though I completely said in my above posts that he is free to change instructions any way he wants but also told him the affects it will have.

My "specific" set of instructions was guidelines by specific way to play, the way Wenger does and many Arsenal fans (countless) ask to play that way.

dont get your panties in a bunch :), im just saying there are almost infinite ways to play, he should explore some of them by reading those guides, rather than using advice from me, you, or my fellow american in this thread :). sorry about the tone :).

Does working on set pieces make a big diff in scoring and defending from set pieces or does setting to the default sufficient enough?

I am currently making a tactic specifically for arsenal (with the current 14:3 squad) with no transfers made

i want to try and use the Arsenal team atleast till the 1st january window before bringing in players and so far so good

i have so far played 7 league games, won 6 and drew 1. scored 24 and conceded 10

i will be posting my tactic with screenshots in the next day or 2 on these forums while i continue to test it.

as im playing with the current team i want to play the 4-2-3-1 formation that we use

maybe you can test my tactic aswell so there are 2 of us trying it