Arsenal vs Swansea (Saturday 10 September 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joss

Reaction score
Haven't done one of these for a while, but Calum's gone and got himself banned so I feel duty-bound.

----------------

TEAM NEWS

Arsenal

• At the back Arsenal have had more bad news after it was reported that Thomas Vermaelen could be out for a matter of months having undergone surgery on his achilles, while Kieran Gibbs has been declared fit to play.
  • The injuries mean that new recruits Andre Santos (left-back) and Per Mertesacker (centre-back) could go straight into the side.
  • Emmanuel Frimpong returns from a one match suspension and is likely to act as a shield in front of the defence behind a midfield partnership of Aaron Ramsey and new signing Mikel Arteta.
  • This match is the last that both Gervinho and Alex Song will have to sit out through suspension.
Likely line-up:

090911143659.png

Swansea

• Brendan Rodgers is likely to pick the same side that have drawn the last two matches against Wigan and Sunderland.
  • Ferrie Bodde is joined on the sidelines by Garry Monk and Alan Tate, with the latter having broken his leg in a bizarre golfing accident.
  • Winger Nathan Dyer will be hoping to give new Arsenal signing Andre Santos a scare in their head-to-head battle in this one.

Likely line-up:

090911144920.png

MATCH FACTS

• During Arsene Wenger's reign, Arsenal have averaged more points per game (2.10) than any other Premier League team in the month of September.
  • Arsenal have taken just 13 points from their last 14 Premier League games.
  • Arsenal conceded eight goals in a league game for the first time since 1896 in their last match (2-8 at Manchester United).
  • These sides haven't met in league competition since 1982/83, a year Arsenal did the double over the Welsh side, winning both games 2-1.
  • Arsenal have never lost three consecutive home games in the Premier League.
  • Swansea are still awaiting their first ever Premier League goal.
  • The Gunners have become the first PL team ever to receive a sending off in each of their first three PL games.
  • Ashley Williams has attempted more passes than any other top flight player this season (235).
  • Arsenal have used more players than any other side in the league this season (23).
  • Only two sides have ever failed to score in their opening four Premier League games of a season: Newcastle in 2005/06 and Sheffield Wednesday in 1993/94.
---------------------------

News and stats via WhoScored. (Updated some of it myself)

My prediction: 3-1 Arsenal - Swansea to get their first goal of the season, but Arsenal to win fairly comfortably in the end. I expect Arteta will start with Ramsey and it'll be interesting to see how they do with the relatively inexperienced Emmanuel Frimpong behind them. They both enjoy creative freedom and it might be limited a little bit if they're having to do more defensive work than they would've liked.

We've made some good signings, now it's time to show that the early season blip was just that, and that we can still be a major player in the league this season.

Last edited:
Will be good to see how Arteta and Mertesacker plays.

Arsenal will finally get their season started with RVP's name on the score sheet. Would like to see Santos as LB.

I can sense an upset. Probably will end up 5-0 Arsenal but should be a good game nontheless.

I'm slightly worried about the crowd. We've been excellent so far (the Emirates/general crowds, not the team) but with the new signings, there's a lot of expectation. Anything less than a hammering could genuinely not go down well IMHO, and having a tense home crowd only puts the players on edge and decreases their performance levels IMO.

Joss:1313047 said:
I'm slightly worried about the crowd. We've been excellent so far (the Emirates/general crowds, not the team) but with the new signings, there's a lot of expectation. Anything less than a hammering could genuinely not go down well IMHO, and having a tense home crowd only puts the players on edge and decreases their performance levels IMO.

I think you're right and I think because of this it will be an edgy game but still expecting an Arsenal win. To be honest I quite like the look of the starting eleven my only concern is how long it takes for the new boys to settle. Is Benayoun fit? If he is I think i'd rather he start instead of Arshavin who is the last player we need with our backs to the wall. 2-1 Arsenal.

i expect goals. nothing else. maybe like last year when walcott ramped Blackpool. but as Joss stated, there is lots of expectations.

Cb pairing is interesting and slow one and a quick one. hopefully kosiencly and merts impress, so is santos. wouldn't be surprised if he scored on debut day. midfield is not a problem, but goals shoudl help impress them. hopefully arshavin will prove himself AGAIN, cuting inside from the left and scores

prediction: 4-0 arsenal Win!

I predict another suspension, 2-0 win by Arsenal who will dominate possesion.

Come on you Swans! Really want them to win, not only that I like them, but I don't like Arsenal :) 2-1 Swans, Sinclair double!

Brendan Rogers won't be in attendance after the death of his father.

Reckon Arsenal will win this comfortably and everyone will say Wenger is a genius again etc etc

Arsenal 4-0 Swansea - RVP, Arteta, Walcott x2

I can see Arsenal winning, don't think it'll be an easy win though.
Expecting a very nervy game and Swansea to go at Arsenal, 3-1 Arsenal.

What are betting odds like? Fully expect an Arsenal win but Swansea might have good value odds

Szczesny, Sagan, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Frimpong, Arteta, Walcott, Ramsey, Arshavin, RVP.

Status
Not open for further replies.