Arsenal's Jack Wilshere left out of England U21 squad

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 3K

Mike.

Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8888237.stm

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has been left out of the England Under-21 squad, fuelling speculation he could earn a call-up to the full squad.

Micah Richards, Lee Cattermole, Adam Johnson and Theo Walcott have also been omitted for the U21 friendly against Uzbekistan at Bristol City on Tuesday.
All five could feature against Hungary on Wednesday in England's first match since the 2010 World Cup finals.
Marc Albrighton and Jordan Henderson are among the newcomers to the U21s.
Arsenal academy product Wilshere gained valuable experience in 14 appearances on loan at Bolton during the 2009-10 campaign.
Now back at Arsenal, he produced a man-of-the-match performance in the Emirates Cup against Celtic last Sunday and Gunners boss Arsene Wenger highlighted the 18-year-old's claims for international recognition.

England manager Fabio Capello vowed to make changes to his squad following the World Cup debacle when they were thrashed 4-1 by Germany in the second round after stumbling through the group stages. The Football Association suggested an injection of younger talent was on the cards after a desperately disappointing tournament in South Africa.
o.gif
Meanwhile, Walcott has admitted he cried when told he would not be part of England's World Cup squad. The 21-year-old, who played a major part in England's successful World Cup qualification campaign, was on the golf course when Capello phoned to tell him the bad news.
"He just said, 'I'm sorry. I'm not going to bring you to South Africa, but I'll see you in 2012 for the Euros'," revealed Walcott, who started only 12 Premier League games for Arsenal last term.
"I didn't know what to say at all. He said, 'have a good break and good luck. I'll see you soon.' I wished him all the best.
"There are always disappointments in football, this was my biggest one yet. Actually, I did have a tear to be fair with my cousin and my mate. Then I played the best golf ever.
"I was obviously very disappointed not to have made it, but now for the first time in a long time, I have been able to have a rest and a proper pre-season."
o.gif

The match against Uzbekistan is the only warm-up game for the England Under-21s ahead of their European Championship qualifiers against Portugal and Lithuania in September.
After losing to Greece in March, England must win both of those games to qualify for the play-offs.
In addition to midfielders Albrighton of Aston Villa and Sunderland's Henderson, Liverpool defender Martin Kelly and Blackburn centre-half Phil Jones have also been called into the squad for the first time.

Highly-rated Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell, who has been tipped for senior honours in the near future, has been retained in a 19-man squad.
"Henderson would have been with us in March but he picked up an injury which ruled him out," England Under-21 coach Stuart Pearce explained.
"We're looking forward to playing again after sitting on a defeat for five months. The defeat to Greece put us in a difficult position in the group so we need to be ready.
"It's given us a lot of planning time, so to have a friendly next week is great for us. It's not just good for fitness, but to have a look at some new players and tactics."

England Under-21 squad to face Uzbekistan on August 10:
Goalkeepers: Frankie Fielding (Blackburn Rovers), Alex McCarthy (Reading).
Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Phil Jones (Blackburn Rovers), Martin Kelly (Liverpool), Michael Mancienne (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).
Midfielders: Marc Albrighton (Aston Villa), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Jack Cork (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Sunderland), Victor Moses (Wigan Athletic), Fabrice Muamba (Bolton Wanderers), Jack Rodwell (Everton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur).
Forwards: Andy Carroll (Newcastle United), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

I'm more excited by the fact we might see Lee Cattermole play for England :D

I'm more excited by the fact we might see Lee Cattermole play for England :D
the only player we have who somes close to matching the tenacity of hargreaves. he just needs to learn not to foul so much.

the fact that rodwell isnt called up suggests that carrick will keep his place in the squad

Good to see that Wilshere is getting recognised although I still feel he is not ready for his first cap yet....Lee Cattermole seems to be good while Adam Johnson has just been great for Man city since he has signed....also i am happy to see Daniel Sturridge playing and hopefully he will do well

Always been a massive fan of Wilshere, he is the kind of player the premiership and England need. His technical ability is excellent.

At the beginning of last season, he excelled at the same friendly competition but hardly featured for Arsenal and was shipped out to Bolton.

Before he gets an England call up, he needs to be playing first team football.

Good to see that Wilshere is getting recognised although I still feel he is not ready for his first cap yet....Lee Cattermole seems to be good while Adam Johnson has just been great for Man city since he has signed....also i am happy to see Daniel Sturridge playing and hopefully he will do well
you're not gonna find a better time to cap him to be fair. a friendly at the beginning of the season, with the majority of fans calling for new youth. would like to see him and johnson start

I think all of the names mentioned are good enough for this squad. Does anyone know when the main squad is being announced?

I think all of the names mentioned are good enough for this squad. Does anyone know when the main squad is being announced?
the game is on wednesday, so cant be that far off. monday maybe?

Good news. I'd be more than happy to see those 5 players in the senior England squad for our friendly.

We really need to look into talent outside of the usual 23.

Cattermole & A Johnson definitely deserve a chance for England. Wilshere needs much more premiership experience although it is good intent from Capello if he is in the squad.

Hopefully Bent will get his chance as well, there would be **** on if he was over-looked even after Heskey's retirement.

England should use the next 2 years to develop young players such as Wilshire and Rodwell etc as the European Championship is a nothing compatition and they need to develop their squad before the next world cup, also the young English players should be encouraged to go and play in Italy and Spain on loan to learn how to adapt to continental football...

Bent definelty desrves a chance,he has always been somewhat consistent in the EPL

I buy an Under 21s ticket in hope to see the likes of Wilshere and Walcott play and great, they are both left out of the squad next week. Slightly disappointed from that perspective, but at least this could be a sign of a bit of a change in the England squad and hopefully Capello is gonna build a new young team.

For English Football to go forward the 6+5 rule the FA implmented has been great as now we will see the likes of Wilshere and Walcott get more exposure at the Premiere League Level thus furthering their development

Back