meguel

Reaction score
View attachment 301887
Association Sportive de Monaco Football Club

With this, my second effort at a story based on the fantastic Football Manager games I will attempt to bring Monaco back to the glory days. My other story attempt was with Olympique Lyon but ultimately failed due to a lack of commitment. The main reason Monaco were selected was because they played some great football and have had great players pass through such as Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Yaya Toure and of course the Arsenal legend Thierry Henry.

-
BREAKING NEWS: MEGUEL TORRES APPOINTED AS MONACO BOSS.

Following the sacking of Claudio Ranieri the inexperienced Spanish manager Meguel Torres has been appointed manager of Les Rouge et Blanc on an initial one year deal. More on this story to follow...

View attachment 301910

PRE-SEASON REVIEW:

View attachment 301916

An interesting pre-season to say the least, Locarno and Toulouse were played before I was appointed manager and were solid victories. Solothurn was the first game with my new tactic and was a dire game really but signs suggested the tactic was effective with Monaco having over 60% of the possession and 22 shots (albeit 8 on target). Rennes was a disappointment as we dominated the game but an Alessandrini wonder goal meant we lost, even though we dominated possession again.

Then came the prestigious Friendly Cup which was more of a nuisance then an exercise. The first game was a 2-0 hammering of a San Lorenzo side we were expected to lose heavily to which came as a pleasant surprise. However after seeing the players fitness I decided to delegate the friendlies duties to my assistant who can manage the fitness more effectively. This effectively meant we were playing a reserve team in the friendly against Genk but with no real incentive to win I didn't mind.

View attachment 301917

And here is the tactic that I expect to use for many years to come; a direct based control style game play which works surprisingly well. Unfortunately the current players at the team do not accommodate this game style extremely well so changes will be made in the coming weeks.​

Jesus I didn't realise how bad Monaco's team has gotten!! This is a good one to do, get poaching lyon's youth ;-)

Jesus I didn't realise how bad Monaco's team has gotten!! This is a good one to do, get poaching lyon's youth ;-)

It looks really bad but actually for Ligue 2 the standard of players is surprisingly good, I thought it would be harder (saying that I'll lose the next 10 games probably)

Also would anyone be interested in player sponsoring?

TRANSFER UPDATE/AUGUST

View attachment 302075
Sadly F12 didn't work so I have this screenshot.

So these are the transfers for the Summer transfer window, not many outs because the players I wanted out Monaco have signed on ludicrous contracts so they'll be sitting it out in the reserves in a City-esque style. Welliton Nem I signed underestimating the number of foreign players I was allowed so Argentinian starlet Lucas Ocampos will be spending the season at feeder club Ajaccio. Admeilson will be the main man for the coming season but Traore will also play his part.

Litamanen was signed to tutor Moi Gomez but for some reason can't.

-

AS Monaco 2 - 0 Tours
MOTM: Jakob Poulson (9.0)
Solid win to start the season with, not much else to say about it.

Laval 1 - 2 AS Monaco
MOTM: Nacer Barazite (8.2)
A first goal for Nacer there in a match we dominated, their goal was a late goal that counted for very little on the day.

AS Monaco 2 - 3 Dijon
MOTM: Brice Jovial (9.0)
A real kick in the teeth with the first loss of my Monaco career and it came in the cup. We were 1-0 up very early on and managed to pull it back to 2-2 by the end of regulation time. Going into extra time the team was exhausted and a late winner from Jovial sent us crashing out of the cup. Not a major concern though as a cup victory was always unlikely.

AS Monaco 2 - 2 Istres
MOTM: Welliton Nem (8.1)
A poor performance against a team we should be beating comfortably, Appiah missed an open goal at 1-0 up and from there we seemed to fall apart.

Guingamp 1 - 2 AS Monaco
MOTM: Ademilson (8.8)
Good win away from home against a fellow promotion chasers. Ademilson also nets his first goals for the club.

AS Monaco 2 - 1 Arles-Avignon
MOTM: Delvin Ndinga (7.5)
Poor performance and a poor victory at home against a team that should struggle to stay up this season, one of the only positives is that Ndinga puts in a MOTM performance after returning from an injury.

Le Havre 1 - 1 AS Monaco
MOTM: Johny Placide (8.7)
A fantastic performance away from home which really could have been a victory for us. Their goalkeeper got MOTM pulling some insane saves in the process whereas out goalkeeper palmed the ball into his own net for their goal. Could be a crucial result in deciding the fate of the title even this early.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH:
View attachment 302078
Nacer Barazite
Wins the first player of the month of this series and in some style too; 2 goals and 1 assist in the first 5 games of the season. Most of his goals have been in crucial games and the player has adapted well to his new role of AMCL Inside Forward. At the age of 22 he can only get better.

I have an ongoing MONACO save and therefore I would make the following comments:

1) You should NOT have loaned out OCAMPOS as he's class from the get go. Id recall him if I were you.
2) One of your biggest problems at MONACO is satisfying the board's wishes for high profile signings. In my save I tried bringing in without success the following:

Adriano (Flamengo)
Ronaldinho
Beckham

With no success.

I now think that maybe TREZEGUET would have satisfied them (and not cost the earth) so you could try that.

Monaco are in league 2!! I didn't even notice, I take it back they have a good team.

I have an ongoing MONACO save and therefore I would make the following comments:

1) You should NOT have loaned out OCAMPOS as he's class from the get go. Id recall him if I were you.
2) One of your biggest problems at MONACO is satisfying the board's wishes for high profile signings. In my save I tried bringing in without success the following:

Adriano (Flamengo)
Ronaldinho
Beckham

With no success.

I now think that maybe TREZEGUET would have satisfied them (and not cost the earth) so you could try that.

I've seen they're unhappy with the lack of high profile signings but that shouldn't affect things too much. Ocampos didn't really fit in the tactic and after all of preseason training to become an AMC he wasn't even "Yellow" so I got rid of him over Ademilson/Nem.

SEPTEMBER
View attachment 302107
A poor month in honesty.

-

AS Monaco 4 - 1 Dijon
MOTM: Valere Germain (9.4)

The team redeemed themselves from the disappointing loss against them in the cup. Germain opened the scoring in the 4th minute with a vicious drive from 25 yards which rocketed into the top left corner, after that the floodgates opened. Wolf picked up his 3rd yellow of the season so will miss the next game.

Lens 1 - 1 AS Monaco
MOTM: David Pollet (8.7)

Poor showing and we were lucky to get the point here, a fantastic free kick from Nem saved us. We dropped to 2nd place following this draw but remain undefeated in the league.

AS Monaco 1 - 1 Gazelec
MOTM: Anthony Colinet (8.3)

We dominated and took the lead via a Nem run early. Gazelec equalized and we couldn't beat there flat 5 at the back despite dominating possession. Barazite also missed a penalty late on.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH:
View attachment 302119
Wellington Nem
Saved us points twice this month and has been playing very well. The 3.5m signing is living up to his price tag.​

OCTOBER
View attachment 302467
A disappointing month for the man in between the sticks.

-

AS Monaco 3 - 2 Chateauroux
MOTM: Valere Germain (9.0)
A disappointing month where we twice fell behind to bottom of the league Chateauroux. Jakob Poulsen suffered an injury which would keep him out of the next game against Angers.

Angers 3 - 4 AS Monaco
MOTM: Claudiu Keseru (8.8)

Real worry with the defense here as we've conceded 5 in our last two and considering these teams aren't even promotion favorites (or anywhere near) some work will be needed. The winner was in the last 5 minutes of regulation time and was quite a relief considering the poor performance. Note I switched to a flat 442 here.

AS Monaco 2 - 1 Nantes
MOTM: Papy Djilobodiji (8.3)

A game where we squandered many chances early on and somehow managed to find two goals late on. The first of the comeback goals was an own goal by the opposing CB following a corner and the winner came from Toure nicking the ball off the keepers feet in the dying seconds and putting it in from 18 yards.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH:
View attachment 302473
Ibrahima Toure
A great month for the striker netting two goals from his first two league starts. The formation was adapted to fit this lad in and he's really impressing so far.​

Last edited:
NOVEMBER
View attachment 302499
My goalkeeper finally seems to have found some form! And the tactics are becoming completely fluid as well culminating in Monaco leading the league by a solid 4 points going into December. The board also agreed to give me extra transfer funds.

-

Niort 0 - 0 AS Monaco
MOTM: Geoffrey Adjet (7.9)

Another awful performance against the team at the bottom of the league. The captain Wolf also got sent off here and will miss the next 3 games.

AS Monaco 3 - 0 Auxerre
MOTM: Jakob Poulsen (9.0)

Fantastic performance here in a match we dominated from start to finish. Poulsen got MOTM here for two assists.

RC Paris 0 - 3 AS Monaco
MOTM: Gary Kagelmacher (9.3)

Great performance here by what was a reserve team. Although we went in overwhelming favorites against the non-league side I'm still pleased by the result and especially pleased with stand-in captain Kagelmachers two goals from the CB position.

Clermont 2 - 4 AS Monaco
MOTM: Jakob Poulsen (9.2)

Good result away from home against the mid-table team, the goal keeper conceded for the first time in 312 minutes as well.

AS Monaco 3 - 0 Sedan
MOTM: Gary Kagelmacher (8.7)

On paper a tough match against a side that upset 2nd place Le Harve last week but in reality a match we dominated. Wolf got injured in his return from injury.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 302500
Gary Kagelmacher
3 goals in 5 games for the centreback and stand-in captain.​

DECEMBER
View attachment 302573
Another month in which we could play better but we're still unbeaten in the league at the half way point which means theoretically that's how we should finish. On the transfer front all the players I've looked at so far weren't interested in joining the club.

-

Strasbourg 0 - 3 AS Monaco
MOTM: Gary Kagelmacher (9.0)

Another solid win against a non-league side setting up a historic clash with rivals Marseille in the 9th round of the Coupe de France. A reserve team was fielded again.

Caen 1 - 2 AS Monaco
MOTM: Andreas Wolf (7.9)

We fell behind early in the second half but goals from Andreas Wolf and Valere Germain meant we got the three points today. Barazite suffered an injury which will keep him out for 7 weeks.

AS Monaco 1 - 1 Nimes
MOTM: Gary Kagelmacher (8.9)

They fell behind via an own goal from a corner in the 1st minute of play and then in the 13th minute out-of-form striker Ademilson got himself a red card. We were playing with our backs against the wall from then on and Nimes got two goals via Kone, thankfully the second was chalked off for offside but looked perfectly legitimate. Dodgy officiating saves us from our first loss.

Le Mans 3 - 3 AS Monaco
MOTM: Ibrahima Toure (8.8)

A game of poor defenses on both sides of the pitch although I guess a draw away against a fellow promotion chaser is better for us then them. We took the lead early again thanks to Wellington Nem and then they made it 1-2 after half-time. Two late goals for us appeared to earn us the win but a late goal was conceded meaning we'd dropped points for two weeks in succession.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 302577
Gary Kagelmacher
Second month on the trot for the Uruguayan. He's been a rock at the back.

TRANSFER WINDOW/JANUARY
View attachment 302845

A great transfer window for the club as we secure the signings of some top players who are regulars for club and country. Incoming imminently were the Cameroonian international Eyong Enoh from Ajax for a fee of £2.4m. At the end of the season Willie Overtoom will be joining from Heracles on a free as his contract expires and also incoming is the marauding English RB Danny Simpson on a free from Newcastle at the end of the season. On the flip side Nabil Dirar will remain at the club on his ludicrous 33k per week deal and will sit in the reserves until he decides he wants to leave.

In Ligue 1 PSG have made some big signings including the capture of Shakhtar Donetsk defensive midfielder Fernandinho for a fee of £14.25m whereas fellow Donetsk midfielder Willian joined Manchester United on a £13.5m deal.

View attachment 302846
View attachment 302847View attachment 302848View attachment 302849

-

Marseille 2 - 2 AS Monaco (4-5 on pens)
MOTM: Wellington Nem (8.4)

Fantastic result in the cup which sees us through to the 10th round against National side Vannes. The game itself was tough although we found ourselves 2-0 up going into the second half. We couldn't hold our lead and went into extra-time exhausted but the team managed to see it through and win on penalties. New signing Eyong Enoh scored the winning penalty.

AS Monaco 1 - 1 Laval
MOTM: Jerome Lebouc (7.8)

A real disappointing performance at home, although Le Harve dropped points too which saw us keep our lead at the top of the table.

Vannes 0 - 1 AS Monaco
MOTM: Gary Kagelmacher (7.6)

A tougher match then expected in the cup but we managed to win in the end. Ademilson scored on his return from suspension whereas Vannes' late equalizer was chalked off for offside.

Istres 0 - 2 AS Monaco
MOTM: Martin Souzac (8.6)

The result flattered us here, an early goal and a late goal won us the match although we were defending for our lives throughout. Another poor performance against another poor side.

AS Monaco 3 - 2 Guingamg
MOTM: Ibrahima Toure (8.8)

Great performance here against 6th place Guingamp, a late winner by Ibrahima Toure sealed the result here whilst his other goal came from a poor clearance from the opposing goalkeeper.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 302850
Ademilson
I think the young Brazillian striker doubled his goal tally for the season in this month, real impressive stuff on his return.​

FEBRUARY
View attachment 302868
The Saint-Etienne fans weren't this happy this month as we threw them out of the cup as the giant killing continues.

-

Arles-Avignon 2 - 1 AS Monaco
MOTM: Chafik Najih (7.9)

Our first loss of the season and yet again we play poorly against one of the worse teams in the league. Greek LB got a constellation goal for us in the 70th minute but it wasn't enough to take the point here.

AS Monaco 1 - 0 Le Havre
MOTM: Benjamin Genton (8.7)

A fantastic result against the second place Le Havre which puts some real daylight between the two sides. Their CB got MOTM today which shows we really could have gotten more then one goal today.

Dijon 1 - 3 AS Monaco
MOTM: Wellington Nem (9.0)

Another good result which means that we're getting ever closer to promotion. Young RB Appiah picked up his second league goal of the season here.

AS Monaco 1 - 1 Lens
MOTM: Ala-Eddine Yahia (8.2)

Not a bad result against 4th place Lens, the opposing CB picked up MOTM here again. Sergi Gomez seems to be having some real problems fitting into the squad.

Saint-Etienne 3 - 3 AS Monaco (0-3 on pens)
MOTM: Nacer Bazarite (9.0)

Another giant is slayed by AS Monaco, the 4th place Ligue 1 side put up a good fight throughout but weren't as composed as us in the penalty shootout which sees us through to the quarter finals. Meanwhile PSG struggle to a 5-4 extra time win against Clermont.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 302872
Giorgos Tzavellas
Great month for the Greek LB, picking up a goal and putting in solid performances throughout.

MARCH
View attachment 302927
Youth intake this month but it brought no noticeable talent to the club, attempts to poach talent failed and the good league form continues as we hit the 30 league match marker.

-

Gazelec 0 - 0 AS Monaco
MOTM: Yohan Bocognano (7.3)

ANOTHER poor performance against a poor team. Ribas missed a penalty here which hurts, especially after he just demanded more football.

Chateauroux 0 - 1 AS Monaco
MOTM: Martin Souzac (8.1)

Great performance by our keeper here and Sergi Gomez put in his best performance in a Monaco shirt as well.

AS Monaco 5 - 2 Angers
MOTM: Jakob Poulsen (9.4)

A master class by our forwards today in a real end to end game. Both teams lined up with a 442 leaving plenty of space to attack. Angers' two scorers both ended 350+ minute dry streaks here today.

Nantes 1 - 2 AS Monaco
MOTM: Ademilson (8.7)

A pretty good performance here, Ademilson scored and assisted one in a good team performance. We lead 2-0 before Nantes got a late constellation goal.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 302930
Jakob Poulsen
He's been great all season but in a season where nobody really stood out he shone, masterminding the 5-2 victory against Angers.​

Last edited:
APRIL
View attachment 302993
With this month we secure promotion into Ligue 1, foolishly I thought that 2nd and 3rd place held a playoff place so I wasn't expecting it. Nontheless: apportez sur la Ligue 1!

-

AS Monaco 3 - 0 Niort

Finally a performance against a sub-par team. The worst team in the league (statistically) was hammered by the best team in the league end of discussion.

Auxerre 0 - 2 AS Monaco
MOTM: Gary Kagelmacher (8.7)

Good performance all round here. The Uruguayan picked up another league goal and continues to impress. We also managed to keep Sanogo quiet which I'm quite impressed with.

AS Monaco 3 - 1 Stade Reims
MOTM: Florent Ghisolfi (8.6)

The easiest match against a Ligue One side we've had so far, we dominated large portions of the match and their goal came after we'd built up a 3-0 lead, which we're never going to lose at home. This set up a tie against future classic Paris Saint-Germain.

AS Monaco 0 - 1 Clermont
MOTM: Damien Perrinelle (8.7)

Not really a disappointing loss considering Clermont are the side in Ligue Two that play "champagne football". It was always going to be difficult and unfortunately it culminated in our 2nd league loss of the season.

Sedan 1 - 4 AS Monaco
MOTM: Wellington Nem (8.8)

We bounce back from a loss with a convincing 4-1 victory against a poor side. Kagelmacher picked up an knock early on so I decided to sub him off 30 minutes in to save him for the cup clash next month.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 303009
Wellington Nem
Another fantastic month for the Brazilian and he has been by far the most impressive player in the league this season.​

MAY
View attachment 303127
In a thrilling month to conclude the season there were many upsets including one which amazed me and had my heart racing at the time.

-

AS Monaco 0 - 1 Caen
MOTM: Jean Calve (7.9)

Poor result, but nothing for us to play for really. Understandable.

PSG 1 - 2 AS Monaco
MOTM: Ibrahima Toure (8.7)

Unbelievable victory for us in the cup as we knock out Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain. We took the lead at 1-0 then conceded a sloppy goal but late on we scored a fantastic goal to take us through to the final. Menez got injured 25 minutes in but Bazarite got injured for us 11 minutes in.

Nimes 2 - 5 AS Monaco

An annihilation of Nimes here: two goals from Nem, Ribas and a lone strike from Ademilson secured the result here.

AS Monaco 2 - 0 Le Mans
MOTM: Jakob Poulsen (8.0)

Another goal for the Denmark international in a comfortable 2-0 win against promotion chasers Le Mans.

Tours 0 - 1 AS Monaco
MOTM: Giorgos Tzavellas (7.9)

Ibrahima Toure picked up another league goal here in a convincing performance against strugglers Tours. An injury to star winger Wellington Nem would keep him out of the cup final.

AS Monaco 3 - 2 Montpellier
MOTM: Ibrahima Toure (9.0)

5 goals, 2 red cards, 1 winner. A fantastic match for the neutrals and AS Monaco fans as we went on to lift our first Coupe De France for 20 years. Valere Germain got sent off for us late on but 10 man Monaco went of to score the winner from an indirect freekick.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 303135
Ibrahima Toure
A great month for the lad scoring goals galore.

END OF SEASON REVIEW TO FOLLOW.

END OF SEASON REVIEW
View attachment 303136
In a season where Promotion was expected there weren't many upsets in the league. Apart from the teams obvious complacency against smaller league sides the team played well and has a great group mentality but if we are to succeed in Ligue 1 next season we will need to bring in much more quality then is currently available. The squad has proved its ability against Ligue 1 sides already this season but lets not forget that over half of the top tier teams beaten where beaten in either extra time or penalties - a luxury which won't be available in the Ligue 1.

But then we've also won the right to play in Europe next season thanks to our cup final heroics, but at this early stage in the project will we be strong enough to take on the best teams in Europe?

In Ligue 1 there was success for Paris Saint-Germain as they ran away with the league with their oil-rich owners funding the success. Lyon came in as Runners Up joint on points with Sochaux but triumphed on goal difference. On the other side of the table there was disappointment for Brest, Bastia and Ajaccio fans as they'll be playing in Ligue 2 next season.

Back in Ligue 2 AS Monaco are crowned champions whereas Le Havre and Dijon will also be promoted to the top flight. At the bottom of the table Nimes, Istres and Niort face the daunting prospect of applying their trade in the Championnat National.
View attachment 303137
View attachment 303138View attachment 303139View attachment 303140

And of course it was a special first season in French football for our player of the season, Wellington Nem. The young Brazilian was brought in from Fluminense for £3.5m at the start of the season and has thoroughly impressed throughout.

View attachment 303141 View attachment 303142

And that's the end of a fantastic first season in French football. With lots to look forward too next season I'm looking forward to the challenge of balancing a sub-par squad in a top league and also a European competition.​

PRE-SEASON REVIEW
View attachment 303188
It's important to note that the assistant is the man in charge of friendlies at the club. The result against Zenit was less the impressive as we really shouldn't be losing to teams like that in the manor we did, if we continue this then we'll be the whipping-boys in the Europa League. All the other games that were played were against considerably worse opponents so it was expected to win, but it's nice to see we did not falter.

But of course there was one more competition which I left out of this screenshot because it's technically a competitive game and that was the Tropee des Champions against the mighty Paris-Saint Germain:

AS Monaco 4 - 1 PSG
MOTM: Jakob Poulsen (8.8)

Kagelmacher, Toure, Kozak, Ocampos
Yet another great performance against PSG which bodes well for our survival ambitions this season. From the goalscorers you can see one of our newest signing Kozak who was one of the only forwards/midfielders to play the full 90 minutes. Ademilson was suspended therefore missed the match but with plenty of forwards now he wasn't missed.

-

TRANSFER UPDATE
View attachment 303189
Lots of good players came in this month on cut-price deals because they were all transfer listed. Ocampos has been included in screenshots because he was out on loan last season. Despite all the incoming transfers I can't get rid of any of our fringe players because other teams don't have interest or they don't want to leave even though they don't play.

PSG have been making more ripples in the transfer market as they've completed the signings of Argentinian duo Ever Banega and Guillermo Burdisso for a combined fee of just under £40m. Marseille have also been active in an attempt to improve on last seasons 6th place finish; bringing in Davide Astori, Etienne Capoue and Eugene Konoplyanka for a combined fee of just under £45m.

View attachment 303190
View attachment 303191View attachment 303192View attachment 303193
View attachment 303194View attachment 303195View attachment 303196