cps100

Reaction score
I know that 99% of people who play FM will pick their team for each game but does anyone know if using the Assistant Manager can be beneficial or truly terrible? I'm just interested to see if it can affect your team's performances. Surely the consistency of playing the same players makes for better performances/results?!

I guess i'm slightly odd, as I DO ( at least as a base line) let my AM pick my team for me. More often than not, unless i'm changing tactics as well, the squad he picks for me is pretty much the same game in and game out. I feel like at this point, he knows the intricacies of the positions (like what makes a good poacher vs a Deep Lying Forward for instance) and which of my players fit those roles better.

I always hand pick my players because I go into matches with a backup tactic in mind.
So if plan 'A' doesn't work I can go to my fallback plan 'B'.
I have pre-made teams saved such as fastest/tallest/strongest/best tacklers/most determined for each position then I load which one suits the team I'm going to play, swap out injured, select some plan 'A' & 'B' subs.
If I'm going to play u18 reserve team mix (for something like a Capital One Cup game) then I let the Assman pick those and just swap out the players I don't agree with.

I don't usually use it, but a couple of times I've found the 'pick rotated team' option quite useful. Sometimes I stare at a first XI who are almost all in 90-95% condition, and a load of squad players who are OK but not crying out for a chance, and I get a bit stumped as to who should be given a rest.

After the AM's picked a squad I often revert a couple of changes (e.g. to avoid having a completely fresh centre-back pairing, or so I don't have a midfield completely devoid of pace), but it's a useful starting point.

I hardly ever pick the same players in the first part of the season, because with European and League Cup games you have to rotate pretty much every game. It always seems to take until the second half of the season before I have a settled first XI.

I won the Euros with Sweden letting the assistant pick my 23 man squads, auto picking starting XI and instant resulting matches.

Look for high tactical knowledge, judging player ability and personal info like his favoured formations etc