Aston Villa appoint ex-Kop Boss Houllier as manager

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 2K
Would never of thought that Villa would ever appoint Houllier; The Aston Villa Board have done an excellent job bringing him in, much better manager than the other 'supposed' candidates. Good Luck to him.

Personally i would have gone to Eriksson, hes won more trophies, and is a better manager.

And seeing as we have both Emile and a far better version of him in Carew, this may well come in very handy.

Didn't he coach Carew at one point in Ligue 1?

In fact, I think I remember Carew saying he was one of his most favorite managers he's played for...

Anyway, great appointment, looking forward to some non-British talent finally making it's way to Villa. Maybe we can finally beat Vienna....:@

i didnt think he would take this much on at his age, especially with a dodgy ticker.

Personally i would have gone to Eriksson, hes won more trophies, and is a better manager.

Eriksson's a ****** vampire. He generally always leaves the clubs he manages in a worse state than when he arrived, trophies or not.
Didn't he coach Carew at one point in Ligue 1?

In fact, I think I remember Carew saying he was one of his most favorite managers he's played for...

Anyway, great appointment, looking forward to some non-British talent finally making it's way to Villa. Maybe we can finally beat Vienna....:@

Yeah, he did, with Lyon. And nah, we'll never beat Vienna, they're our achilles heel. :P

i didnt think he would take this much on at his age, especially with a dodgy ticker.

He's recovered from his former health problems now, and he's as healthy and fit as any other 63 year old is.

Eriksson's a ****** vampire. He generally always leaves the clubs he manages in a worse state than when he arrived, trophies or not.

Yeah, he did, with Lyon. And nah, we'll never beat Vienna, they're our achilles heel. :P

He's recovered from his former health problems now, and he's as healthy and fit as any other 63 year old is.

he had a heart problem and football management is massivly stressfull.

9 years ago, and is currently in great condition, i cant see how anyone can hold that against him, after all he did go an manager lyon afterwards.

It wasn't a heart attack, though, it was an aortic dissection. I don't want to get technical, but a dissection is where the heart, in a rather primitive term, tears itself open. It also is not caused by stress.

In short, he should be fine, health wise. Now, Gerard, go get us Toulalan. :P

i know he done well with Pool and Lyon but i have also heard he is abit of a control freak so thats why i was abit undecided when i heard that it could be a joint role with Mc Donald.

A bit odd IMO Mcdonald was doing an ok job under extremely difficult circumstances so far I thought and thought he could be the long term solution. I still hope Mcdonald gets a shot eventually though as from everything I've heard players love him and he does a good job encouraging and giving the up and comers confidence

Eriksson is ****.

Erm, Villa fans expect a load of French 'talent' to come in, he's not the best in the transfer market to be quite frank. He brought loads of young French/African players into Liverpool, 95% of them were basically awful. Alright manager, reading Ste Gerrard's autobiography he seems like a nice guy who gives players a lot of support particularly the young players.

Well, considering our superb youth systems we want youngsters coming through.
Also, I quite fancy the idea of Toulalan in January... :P

EDIT:
Lets look at it this way.

Finished no lower than 5th in England
Won 2 league cups, 1 FA Cup , Uefa Cup, Super Cup
Won French league twice in last 4 years, when he left to take control of the French Football association.
The same job he took up 12 years ago, devised and set up a training academy that England are now copying in Burton on Trent
Helped to bring through Frances golden generation like Petit, Henry, Viera and the likes
And until we nicked him, was being tasked to do it all again.
So lets get this right, I can't do the maths but I reckon he has won, on his own, in two of the 5 powerhouse leagues in Europe, more trophies than every single one of our managers put together since around 1910.

And to think, some Villa fans think we're too good for him.

Last edited:
And to think, some Villa fans think we're too good for him.

That is what I do not understand. Then again, most had their hearts set on Jol and Moyes, which was pretty much a dream land scenario.

I guess I'm happy to "settle" on a manager that has won a treble.

As for transfers...he cannot be much worse than MO'N was, outside of Milner, Young, and Petrov.

That is what I do not understand. Then again, most had their hearts set on Jol and Moyes, which was pretty much a dream land scenario.

I guess I'm happy to "settle" on a manager that has won a treble.

As for transfers...he cannot be much worse than MO'N was, outside of Milner, Young, and Petrov.

Agreed. Jol, or Moyes in particular, would have been absolutely brilliant and really, as you said a bit of a dream.

And yeah. Give MON his due, he did come up trumps with some good transfers such as Petrov, Young, Milner, Delph, Dunne and so on, but some other ones were utterly awful. Harewood, Heskey, Stewart Downing etc.

Ged will make sure that the young lads at Villa knuckle down off the pitch. Those that don't will be shifted out pretty quickly. That's a good thing.

He's a better tactician than Martin O'Neill, although they are very similar in many respects in how they like their teams to play (Ged's teams are a bit more stylish) so Villa's squad pretty much suits him.

If I were a Villa fan, I'd be hoping that the Houllier who was at Liverpool prior to the heart attack and the Houllier who won the French league is the one you've got.

He's a decent man but rather odd in many, many ways - press conferences and post-match interviews especially. Don't expect him to pamper players - he doesn't. And he doesn't wear a tracksuit and bounce around like a demented idiot on the touchline either.

If he manages to keep you in European football every season and gets a bit of funding to increase the size of the squad, I think you lot at Villa could learn to love the UEFA cup again.

Agreed. Jol, or Moyes in particular, would have been absolutely brilliant and really, as you said a bit of a dream.

And yeah. Give MON his due, he did come up trumps with some good transfers such as Petrov, Young, Milner, Delph, Dunne and so on, but some other ones were utterly awful. Harewood, Heskey, Stewart Downing etc.

I will admit I forgot about Delph and Dunne signings, but goodness were the Harewood, Downing and especially the Heskey signings awful.

And I'm glad to hear Houllier will add some style and demand things from the players. I think this team needs focus and drive and I'm not sure if MO'N provided enough for the team. I also tend to be optimistic about the transfers, as I think Hou will get plenty of time to sort out some targets. He needs to put the Milner money to god use.

The style of football doesnt mean much in this modern age, most succesful managers are more defensively orientated, Capello, Hitzfeld and Mourinho for starters.

Very true...
Its not about the enjoyment anymore its about the result...

And hopefully Houllier can do some good at Villa.. but hes gotta hold on to the likes of Young and Gabby..

Back