Paulus

Reaction score
I need a good tactic for Aston Villa (2012/13). I'm using LFCMarshall's latest update and have managed to offload some expensive deadwood in Darren Bent, Stephen Ireland, Shay Given and Alan Hutton. Looking to play like Aston Villa do in real life, that is to say something of a 4-3-3 formation (preferably). This is the current line-up:

View attachment 366836

Subs: Benjamin Siegrist (GK), Nathan Baker (DC), Ciaran Clark (DC), Karim El Ahmadi (MC), Leandro Bacuna (AMR), Gabby Agbonlahor (AMRL), Aleksandar Tonev (AMRL), Gary Gardner (MC), Chris Herd (DM), Nathan Delfouneso (ST), Nicklas Helenius (ST).

I'm also trying to bring in someone like Simao as Villa is really lacking a good DM.

Would love to hear from Villa fans or people who have played as Aston Villa. Any pointers at all? What tactics did you guys use? How did it go? Who did you sell/sign?

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. Your reward will be great in heaven etc.

I need a good tactic for Aston Villa (2012/13). I'm using LFCMarshall's latest update and have managed to offload some expensive deadwood in Darren Bent, Stephen Ireland, Shay Given and Alan Hutton. Looking to play like Aston Villa do in real life, that is to say something of a 4-3-3 formation (preferably). This is the current line-up:

View attachment 366836

Subs: Benjamin Siegrist (GK), Nathan Baker (DC), Ciaran Clark (DC), Karim El Ahmadi (MC), Leandro Bacuna (AMR), Gabby Agbonlahor (AMRL), Aleksandar Tonev (AMRL), Gary Gardner (MC), Chris Herd (DM), Nathan Delfouneso (ST), Nicklas Helenius (ST).

I'm also trying to bring in someone like Simao as Villa is really lacking a good DM.

Would love to hear from Villa fans or people who have played as Aston Villa. Any pointers at all? What tactics did you guys use? How did it go? Who did you sell/sign?

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. Your reward will be great in heaven etc.

The approach does not look so bad but as a starting point, i would make the follwoing changes.

The Central Midfield.

Here, I would not use 2 CM/support and one Ballwinner( no matter what duty). Its better then to use on CM on defend as the most central of them to make sure that he drops deep and does not burst forward to close down anyone in his sight.

The many Dimensions of the wide play

Why not use one flank where the players make overlaps, using one winger on support combined with a Wingback on attack and let the other flank be more direct with biggest distances between the 2 wide players This way, you have one flank where you can play a more stretching and patient build up and one where you hit more direct balls to the AML( for counter attacks)

The FC

Looking at your forward, he is a player that likes to run through the middle with the ball. H aslo likes to come deep and get it. This can be wasteful as he will not only consider himself at the end of the move whenin an attacking role but as he also will try to beat his man, he will do so from a deep position. I am just afraid that this will result in him trying to take on the whole defence by himself. I would probably give him the role of a Target man on Support instead ( but without actually using him as the main focal point of the build up, i.e tick the target man box and set it to "none".

This way, he will still dribbling ( run with ball) one more notch than in his settings but now, its more of a mixed approach in all his settings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed response, sir! I'll definitely try this out.

You want to play like Villa? You mean practically 4 points of relegation? I don't think so :O