• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 2K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Aston Villa have lodged a bid for Wigan Athletic winger Charles N'Zogbia as they look to replace Stewart Downing, BBC Sport understands.

More...

Yesyesyes.

Gworn AMac. Would be an excellent buy.

:( Better be a ****** significant bid! We'll then need to replace him, which I'm more than confident that Martinez is capable of doing. We still have Moses anyway.

EDIT: It's £10m.. Would have hoped for more but and 8-figure sum is pretty good.

Last edited:
:( Better be a ****** significant bid! We'll then need to replace him, which I'm more than confident that Martinez is capable of doing. We still have Moses anyway.

EDIT: It's £10m.. Would have hoped for more but and 8-figure sum is pretty good.

Moses is a god, and what's more a **** nice bloke into the bargain. Got his autograph from his Palace days, and he refused to go for under the fee you paid for him so that the money could keep us afloat for longer. Top man. He'll mature into an excellent winger for you.

Yeah, I got his and Al Habsi's when they visited the school my mum works at (behavioural school). That just goes to show how nice of a lad he is. But good luck to Charlie though! I'm confident DW will jump at this offer and he will be a cracking signing for you, he's been a pleasure to watch week in-week out at Wigan.

Will be very good signing for Villa. His performances were top notch for Wigan and with better players around I'm sure he can step up one more level in his game.

Snippet taken from a WhoScored article:

[N'Zogbia's] stats fare well against both Downing and Young in certain regards, surpassing the pair in terms of goals scored (9), pass accuracy (78%) and dribbles per game (3.2). His ability to run at defenders and go past them is unparalleled across the entire Premier League and the Frenchman has completed close to double the amount of successful dribbles to any other player in the league over the past two seasons.

But nani didn't play as much as N'Zogbia last season so in comparison.. And also add in the fact that Wigan are where they are in size compared to United.

If I'm not wrong Nani has close to 3 dribbles per game. Dont remember exactly. Mike posted it I guess..

Still not as good as N'Zogbia though. :P

But nani didn't play as much as N'Zogbia last season so in comparison.. And also add in the fact that Wigan are where they are in size compared to United.

Good point, though you could reverse it: that fact that N'Zogbia is one of Wigan's stars means that the pressure is on him to do something special and beat his man, rather than move it on to another equally talented teammate. Therefore, he HAS to attempt dribbles, rather than Nani who only needs to occasionally.

Like GC said it works other way too. Teams play defensively against us at OT so its hard to complete the dribble and teams play very open against Wigan and gets lots of space.. It works both ways.. :)

I was not comparing. GC said N'Zogbia complelted close to twice as many dribbles as any other player so I though Nani has around 3. Which many be wrong too..

Snippet taken from a WhoScored article:
That also highlights he's not the same kind of winger as Downing. N'Zogbia is a dribbler, Downing is a crosser. Maybe he's a replacement for Young as much as Downing.
I was not comparing. GC said N'Zogbia complelted close to twice as many dribbles as any other player so I though Nani has around 3. Which many be wrong too..

I think that was overall, not per game. Nani has 2.5 per game.

Last edited:
Still not as good as N'Zogbia though. :P

Agreed. N'Zogbia > Messi + Ronaldo.. I'm serious about it.. N'Zogbia achieved all this playing for Wigan, Imagine him playing for quality team.

I'm joking.. (I dont want some idiot to hold this against me )

"Always look on the bright side of life!"

Would be a superb signing for Villa, a terrific replacement for Downing. Him and Albrighton on the wings next year for Villa? <3

That also highlights he's not the same kind of winger as Downing. N'Zogbia is a dribbler, Downing is a crosser. Maybe he's a replacement for Young as much as Downing.

I think that was overall, not per game. Nani has 2.5 per game.

2.5 rounds to 3. And I'm fairly certain Nani managed more than 3 overall dribbles per game.

Did N'Zogbia only have a year left?

Back