10. Newcastle United - 18pts
11. Blackburn Rovers - 18pts
12. Blackpool - 18pts
13. Aston Villa - 17pts
14. Everton - 16pts
15. Birmingham City - 16pts
16. West Bromwich Albion - 16pts

Brief:

On the back of Arsenal's 2-0 loss to Sporting Braga in mid-week, the Gunners now travel to the Midlands in a battle for top spot, where at win at Villa Park will give Wenger and his team a temporary lead at the top of the Barclays Premier League table, so long as Manchester United slip up at home to Blackburn Rovers at Old Trafford. Chelsea, on Sunday, are also away, where they look to break the spell of losses to northern sides, and are guests to the Toon Army at St. James' Park.

Injuries to Emmanuel Eboue and Cesc Fabregas for the next few weeks means fresh faces will be deployed into the Arsenal line-up, as they look to increase the gap on trailing contenders, Manchester City.

Aston Villa on the other hand also need a win at home, as current form in the league has not been kind to the Villains, nor to Gerard Houllier. A loss away to Blackburn Rovers last weekend at Ewood Park was not something expected by the boys in claret-and-blue, but now can put that behind them and pounce on what can be called a 'continental hangover' for Arsenal.

Striker John Carew is available after a four-match absence. The Norwegian international played for the reserves in midweek after being ruled out of four games with a calf problem. Carew has been Villa's leading scorer for the past three seasons and played under manager Gerard Houllier at Lyon.

Defender James Collins is also expected to be in contention after missing the 2-0 defeat at Blackburn Rovers, also with a calf injury.

Young midfielder Jonathan Hogg is Villa's only new injury doubt after suffering an ankle injury at Ewood Park and will be assessed. Houllier confirmed new signing Robert Pires will be included in the 18 to face his former club.

My Prediction:

Aston Villa 1-2 Arsenal

Is RVP back? last i saw during braga match they said he was inj

I'll go 2-0 Arsenal - Chamakh and Nasri,

Aston Villa 0 - 2 Arsenal

Though I really hope the Villans do us a favour.

Villa are improving at home this season, just ask Sir Alex :(

Villa to scrap a 1-0 win, Pires to score the winner :P

0-1 to Arsenal I reckon. Our decimated midfield will struggle, and Arsenal will pass around us. However, our young 'uns might give them a good battle, especially as the ginger warrior Collins is back.

Friedel
Young, Dunne, Collins, Warnock
Clark - Bannan
Young - Ireland - Downing
Carew

I reckon the above team is the most likely one. I'm worried about Clark (a defender nominally, but he's pretty versatile) as well as Ireland, who's shown flashes of his quality but hasn't played well.

Going for a score draw. Think villa may of snatched it if albrighton was fit but he's injured

Is RVP back? last i saw during braga match they said he was inj

I'll go 2-0 Arsenal - Chamakh and Nasri,

I'm not sure he'll be available, more likely Chamakh will be the frontman.

Reports during the Braga game seem to have been BS lol.

Wenger said he's fit to be in the squad, but your right iNickStuff, he probably won't start.

2-0 Arsenal, really need to bounce back from the defeats and show we can win games without Cesc Fabregas in the team (No 30 minute off-the-bench-cameo this time :'()

If Ireland/Young find some space we could be in trouble, but hopefully as Godcubed said, we can exploit their weakness in midfield. Tough game, but I think we can win it.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:31 PM ----------

1210: Aston Villa v Arsenal line-ups:
Aston Villa:
Friedel, Luke Young, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Ashley Young, Clark, Bannan, Downing, Pires, Carew.
Subs: Guzan, Ireland, Delfouneso, Beye, Hogg, Lichaj, Herd.
Arsenal: Fabianski, Sagna, Squillaci, Koscielny, Clichy, Rosicky, Song, Wilshere, Nasri, Chamakh, Arshavin.
Subs: Szczesny, van Persie, Walcott, Denilson, Djourou, Gibbs, Bendtner.
Referee: Mark Clattenburg (Tyne & Wear)

Going for a 2-0 Aston Villa here, despite the early Gunners pressure.

We'll win 2-0 (Arsenal)

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Lol our defense is under no pressure whatsoever, we really need to take advantage of this and score, because I'm sure Houlier will switch it up after halftime.

Ooer.

Wilshere handballs and gets away with it in the area. Think it would have been harsh, jumping to block a cross. Villa getting into the game now..

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

1-0!! And i missed it cos i was typing!

Friedel maybe could have done better? But it goes through Collins' legs so he will have seen it late.

Should be 2 in a minute. Nasri goes past Friedel but hits the sidenetting.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Stat time!

That's the first time Villa have gone behind at Home this season. The only other EPL team to have not gone behind at Home this season is Man Utd.

From Infrostrada Sports on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back