At. Madrid - The other side of Madrid

Chokopop

Self-diagnosed FM addict
Reaction score
Atletico-Madrid-logo.jpg

Intro:

So here I was sitting in my house, in Madrid with my beautiful wife, the daughter of Atletico Madrid President, Enrique Cerezo, and our two children. It was a fine summer morning, when the phone rang and Cerezo was on the other line. Naturally, I assumed it was because of our appointment for lunch, as we had every Tuesday. And so it was.
We met around 11am, sat down, ordered something to drink, when he suddenly told me that he wanted me to replace Atletico Madrid manager Gregorio Manzano, who had undergone major heart surgery in the summer, and was unable to continue his job at the club, for the time being.

I was shocked to say the least. I stared at him for 5 minutes at least. He assured me, that I'd have the full backing of the board, staff and players alike.
It took me 5 more minutes before I could actually say anything. I asked him to excuse me, while I was going to the bathroom to splash some water on my face. After 10-15 minutes I returned, and after some thinking I accepted. He was delighted to say the least.

We finished our lunch, and took of to Vicente Calderon, the clubs stadium, where I signed the contract. I had been given a 2 year deal with a weekly wage of £15.000.

The job:

I was introduced by Cerezo himself. The players didn't look to happy about having a former SønderjyskE u10's coach at the helm. Honestly, I was nervous as ****. It's been about 6-7 years since I was the coach for the younglings, and I had no experience what so ever with managing a professional football club. Especially no one as big as Atletico Madrid.

So, Cerezo took me to my office. It was an honor to see "Andreas Dähnert" on the door. Honestly, I thought I was still dreaming. I've been a football fan all my life, been playing for SønderjyskE's youth team back in my childhood, but three years, and two broken legs later I had to give up my dream. This was the next best thing.

So the job begins. After I had been given a tour of the stadium, the training ground, and my office I was ready to begin my job. My assistant manager, Juan Vizcaino assured me that he'd do everything in his power to help me. 25 years old and manager for At. Madrid. I thought he'd be angry, since he was older and a lot more experienced. He didn't seem bitter at all though.
Anyway, I put the team in training, and decided I'd have a look at my finances. £4m and a wage budget of £933k wasn't enough. So I decided, I'd take the chance and ask for a bit more money. And I got it. £8.2m and a wage budget of £1m should be enough.
I decided to take a look at some players, starting with my favorite club Liverpool, who already had been spending big in the summer.

I'm looking at a few players so far but nothing is conclusive yet.

Press Conference:

The press conference began. President Cerezo, myself and Assistant Manager Juan Vizcaino was present.

Q: You sit here as the new manager of At. Madrid. Is this your dream job?
A: I am absolutely delighted to be hired. It's really a dream come true

Q: You arrive here at the club as a replacement to Gregorio Manzano, who was unable to bring success to the club. Do you feel you are the right person to take At. Madrid to the next level?
A: I really hope so. This club deserves success and everything is in place for that to happen.

Q: The facilities at the club are fantastic, are you excited about the opportunity to work in such and environment?
A: The facilities are great, but good old-fashioned hard work is equally important

Q: Do you already have an idea of which players you like and those you are not so happy with?
A: Everyone will get a chance to show what they can do.

Q: How involved are you going to be in the day-to-day running of the club?
A: I like to be involved as much as time allows me to.

Q: While some managers are famous for their hands on approach, others maintain a more reserved manner with their players. How do you see your management style?
A: I want every player to know, that they can come to me with anything

Q: What can we expect in the transfer market? Are you looking to splash the cash, or are you more of a bargan hunter?
A: I wouldn't say I have a preference. I work on a deal-by-deal basis.

Q: As far as your backroom staff go, will you be bringing in your own people, or will the likes of Juan Vizcaino and Ruben Baraja stay at the club?
A: The backroom staff here are part of a fantastic setup. It would be foolish to disrupt that.

Q: What would you say is your tactical approach to the game?
A: I like attractive football, and that is what I will be encouraging.

Q: On the off-chance that any agents read your comments today, is there any particular area in your squad which you are looking to strengthen?
A: Defence

Q: You have taken charge when it is widely expected that Felipe will leave the club. Can you hold on to him? Do you want to?
A: Ideally, I would like to keep Felipe around, but I know that may not be possible.

Q: Recent reports have linked you with a move for Villarreal defensive midfielder Bruno. Are you prepared to go on record with your thoughts on this story?
A: It is unlikely that we will make a move for him at this time.

Q: It is often said that different managers favour different competitions. Will you be concentrating primarily on the Liga BBVA?
A: I have no feeling either way.

So, the press conference seems to have went well, and the first two days on my new job are about to be over. Two very hectic days.

Last edited:
Breaking News:

SkySports.png

SkySports can confirm that At. Madrid have had bids accepted for:

Federico Macheda - Man Utd (Loan)
Danny Wilson - Liverpool (Loan)
Jack Robinson - Liverpool (Loan)
Ryo Myiachi - Arsenal (Loan)
Maxwell - Barcelona (£3.1m)

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

The media never fails. Already an hour after I had the bids accepted for Wilson, Macheda, Myiachi, Robinson and Maxwell, the good old media is already leaking the stories.

Anyway, it's now been 3 days since I took charge at At. Madrid and the players have already been training well. Our first friendly is versus. Atletico "B"

We started well. José Antonio Reyes scored the first goal after 15 minutes. Miguel Ángel Luque scored an own goal after 40 minutes.
We went to halftime with a comfortable 2-0 lead. Dissapointing, thinking about that this is our reserve team. But it's only pre-season, so I'm not to disheartened.
Gabi scored the winner after 80 minutes when he banged in a penalty.

Striker Adrian picked up a knock and had to be substituted. He will be ready for the next match against Estudiantes.

A comfortable 3-0 victory against our "B" team, which isn't too bad.

Last edited:
maybe i will learn how to do an good story and maybe i will start one by my own

maybe i will learn how to do an good story and maybe i will start one by my own

Well, it's all about fantasy really... This is my first story. Honestly didn't expect to get this many replies.

Great to see some well written stories back on this site. Will follow.

Glad you like it. Cheers ! :)

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

I've now been At. Madrid manager for almost a week, and it's not an easy job I tell you! I expected it to be hard, but I never thought it would be this hard. But I gotta say, I enjoy every minute of it.
Danny Wilson, Ryo Myiachi, Federico Macheda and Jack Robinson have already arrived at the club.

Filipe has been under serious bids by Tottenham and Arsenal. Time will tell soon if he moves.

AtMadrid.png

Atletico Madrid are happy to announce the signing of Maxwell from Barcelona.

MAXWELL.jpg

He has been given a 3 year deal with a weekly wage of £52.000.

So, Maxwell has finally joined the club. Great news, as I've always held the man in the highest regards as a person, and as a player. I am sure he will fit very well into the team.

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

AtMadrid.png

Atletico Madrid have to regret, to announce that left back Filipe not will feature for us anymore.

n_atletico_de_madrid_filipe_luis-1820107.jpg

The 25 year old Brazillian has just completed a move to English giants Arsenal, in a deal worth £6m.
We wish Filipe all the best at his new club.

So, Filipe is gone. I knew this was bound to happen, hence why I bought Maxwell. £6m is not a bad fee though, so I am not to unhappy about it.

We are waiting for the last transfer to be completed before we travel to Argentina to play Estudiantes.
We might wrap up a deal or two before the season starts, but this will be the last before we travel to Argentina.

A good start. My suggestion, and it is only that! Would be to move away from the photo book culture which goes on here. You started off with a good foundation for a story and have sort of drifted to pictures. Maybe you could explain HOW you came about trying to sign Danny Wilson? Why you thought the young Scot would be an addition to one of Spain's top sides etc etc

for example...

Given Arsenal’s public interest in Filipe, it came as no surprise when the chairman informed me of their offer. Reluctantly my hands were tied on the situation. In today’s day and age, if a player wants to leave, he is going to get his wish. I had to think about other alternatives. Agents have been leaving messages daily, trying to sell their clients & fortunately I thought ahead enough to jot down my main target, Maxwell.

Maxwell had found life difficult since his move to the Camp Nou, unable to shake the ever present Eric Abidal & at 3m, he was quit the bargain. However, after discussions with my assistant (insert name) we thought it best to find him some cover.

After meeting with the head of youth development (insert name) it was decided that the current selection of young left full backs were not ready to make the jump to the first team squad. (asst man), (other coach) and myself, spent half the week watching dvds of would be candidates when we finally found our man, a young Scottish lad by the name of Wilson, Danny Wilson of Liverpool.

We watched as the 17 year old, then at Rangers, eased through champions’ league and Old Firm derby’s games with ease and the confidence of a raging bull. This was our man.

Two days & a connecting flight from Madrid to London, we finally arrived in Liverpool and Anfield. I had a great conversation with the legend that is Kenny Dalglish. I found him to be a very knowledgeable and passionate man, who loved the game.

Danny was already aware of our pursuit and had already made his mind up before meeting us. It wasn’t until the flight home I found out he had 8 caps for Scotland.

Macheda is a great striker. Nice buys. How long do the loans last and are you paying the wages. Anyway its a good story. I liked the start:)

A good start. My suggestion, and it is only that! Would be to move away from the photo book culture which goes on here. You started off with a good foundation for a story and have sort of drifted to pictures. Maybe you could explain HOW you came about trying to sign Danny Wilson? Why you thought the young Scot would be an addition to one of Spain's top sides etc etc

for example...

Given Arsenal’s public interest in Filipe, it came as no surprise when the chairman informed me of their offer. Reluctantly my hands were tied on the situation. In today’s day and age, if a player wants to leave, he is going to get his wish. I had to think about other alternatives. Agents have been leaving messages daily, trying to sell their clients & fortunately I thought ahead enough to jot down my main target, Maxwell.

Maxwell had found life difficult since his move to the Camp Nou, unable to shake the ever present Eric Abidal & at 3m, he was quit the bargain. However, after discussions with my assistant (insert name) we thought it best to find him some cover.

After meeting with the head of youth development (insert name) it was decided that the current selection of young left full backs were not ready to make the jump to the first team squad. (asst man), (other coach) and myself, spent half the week watching dvds of would be candidates when we finally found our man, a young Scottish lad by the name of Wilson, Danny Wilson of Liverpool.

We watched as the 17 year old, then at Rangers, eased through champions’ league and Old Firm derby’s games with ease and the confidence of a raging bull. This was our man.

Two days & a connecting flight from Madrid to London, we finally arrived in Liverpool and Anfield. I had a great conversation with the legend that is Kenny Dalglish. I found him to be a very knowledgeable and passionate man, who loved the game.

Danny was already aware of our pursuit and had already made his mind up before meeting us. It wasn’t until the flight home I found out he had 8 caps for Scotland.

Alright, thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely try it out that way, for my next entry. The reason I added a few pictures are, because I thought people would get bored of just endless lines of text. But I can see, as you wrote it there it doesn't really get boring.

Macheda is a great striker. Nice buys. How long do the loans last and are you paying the wages. Anyway its a good story. I liked the start:)
Yeah, I needed another backup striker and came to think of Macheda, who is a very good striker. The loan deals are for the rest of the season. Macheda, Robinson and Myiachi's wages are paid by their respective clubs, while Wilson's wages are 50/50 :)

good story so far keep it up i follow

Cheers bud :)

Good Luck. I will keep following with interest.

It's now been over a week since I took over at Atletico, and it gets harder and harder everyday. People are raiding our players. We were looking to get rid of defensive midfielder Paulo Assuncão, but unfortunately the only takers were Blackburn, who only could afford a loan deal.
I decided to sit down with Mario Suarez, and talk about his future. If he would like to stay at Atletico, or if he wanted to move on. Unfortunately, he wanted to move on. So I offered him out to various clubs. Napoli and Bayer Leverkusen have already submitted loan bids for him, but interest in him is high, with a few other clubs looking at him aswell.
It looks like our right back Silvio will be going aswell. He had been in a fight with striker Falcao and decided to move on. Naturally I tried to talk him out of it, but unfortunately no luck.
So I decided to talk to my assistant manager Juan Vizcaino... **** it, I need to find another assistant, I can barely every remember his name.
No, all jokes aside. I was talking to Juan, and our head scout Jesús Vázquez to discuss potential transfer targets. He had already been watching a few right backs, he had in mind including Lille's 28 year old right back Franck Beria, AS Monaco's Dennis Appiah and Valencia's Bruno. Since out transfer budget wasn't very big, there weren't any big names included. So I decided to fly to France and talk with Lille's manager, Rudi Garcia, who assured me that if the price was right, a transfer could happen. So, we were under a little bit of pressure if we wanted to get him as PSG and Arsenal already had submitted bids for him. So, Jesús and myself decided to watch some DVD's of him. I've been following Lille a little myself, before I became the manager of Atletico. Frankly, there won't be much time to do that anymore. After 6-7 hours of watching match after match of Beria, we decided that he would be a great asset to the team. So, now all we can do is hope that we will beat PSG and Arsenal to him. There is a little bit of time pressure aswell since we were travelling to Argentina in about 10 days to play our next friendly. I have never been out of Europe, so this will certainly be an exciting trip.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

"Atletico Madrid too good to turn down, says Beria"

Just one hour after Beria accepted our offer, and completed the medical, it was all over the internet. Franck Beria has been given a 3 year deal, with a weekly salary of £70.000. So, with our transfer budget almost depleted, I think we are ready for the new season. All we need to now is have a good pre-season to keep the morale up, and train well so we have a chance to live up to our potential. Ideally, I'd love to win the league, but with teams like Barcelona and our firece rivals of Real Madrid, this will be near impossible right now.

Anyway, with our new loan stars, and our two new signings settling in, we will now prepare for the match against Estudiantes.
With Silvio looking to complete a loan move to one of five clubs any time soon, the Beria deal couldn't have been completed at a more ideal time.

So, the Europa League 3rd. Qualifying round draws have just been made. We will play either Norwegian side Tromsø or Metalurgs of Latvia.
So here the journey begins. Although they both are considerably lower teams than us, we should still beware. Either me, or my assistant manager will be present at the Tromsø vs. Metalurgs game. Both legs, if time allows us to.

Sorry about the lack of updates, been busy with school.

There will be an update later today.