Attacking and defending as a team : A project with Mainz

maccya

Reaction score
One of the teachings I have received in the real world about football is playing as a team often wins you games.
When a team understands each other and truly plays together, then the final product is essentially beautiful football.
I want to implement this into the game but I am not sure how. A assymentric formation would be the best cause of action but players would tend to drift if a balanced to very fluid mentality is enabled which would leave holes that the AI would seek out and use to their advantage.

I have picked Mainz because I have always wanted to manage in the Bundesliga plus they have decent money, infrastructure and a balanced team.

What I want them the team to do is simple:
  • Attack as a team
  • Defend as a team
  • Put the ball into dangerous areas (teams are more likely to make mistakes when precise, calculated crosses are being bombard from the byline or sometimes from deep) thus increasing our chances of scoring.
View attachment 334088

Using this formation, how would I be able to achieve the goals addressed in the aforementioned bullet points with team instructions, mentality and player instructions?
Creative criticism is greatly welcomed. Additional advice would be great too

What exactly do you mean by attacking and defending "as a team"? It seems to me that the team instructions, the player duties (in particular the fullbacks), and the Balanced fluidity are going to result in isolation.

What exactly do you mean by attacking and defending "as a team"? It seems to me that the team instructions, the player duties (in particular the fullbacks), and the Balanced fluidity are going to result in isolation.

Same thought here

You need to start changing the fluidity: if you want them to attack and defend as team, it has to be very fluid. Balanced will make players focus on their duties.

How would I prevent this?

It's hard to answer this without knowing what you're trying to do. I've seen some people define teamwork as 11 guys with unique responsibilities all doing their jobs with that resulting in a great team; I've seen others define teamwork as 11 (well, ten) guys all moving up and down the field as one covering for each other. Both views are right in my opinion.