Attacking fullbacks - do they come back fast enough to secure flanks defence?

R00dris

Reaction score
I'm always tempted to use my fulbacks on attack, but also fear that my defense on the sides might be too open because of this.

Do they come back fast enough to their original position, to mark wingers, when defending?

The same question applies to Complete Wing Backs.

You could put your central midfielders on a defend duty. I personally only play with one attacking fullback and put the defensive midfielder on the side of the attacking fullback.

That's the reason the 4-2-3-1 deep exists and was created - to allow fullbacks to be more attacking, while still having cover. It's the point of a halfback too.

I would use attacking fullbacks in a very wide setup and push much higher up with an attack mentality...that way i would probably not get attacked on the flanks, but through the middle, where my BPD's will be waiting with offside trap. If I close down the opponent very much, they will be forced to defend deep and narrow, or I will score. A fast winger or striker could probably break through the offside trap and they could score on the counter, so I usually don't use attacking fullbacks, but rather let wingers do the stretching and crossing, and fullbacks supporting them without going to much further up, perhaps with a control mentality. If you have players capable of attacking, you should use them, but at least insure yourself by having faster BPD's then opponents striker. If you are up against a team not relying on speed, but instead trying to attack aswell, it would all depend on individual quality of players and both teams would probably conceede and score plenty.