Reaction score
Hi there, the best player at my club is a Target Man best suited to an attack duty. Are there any tactics around that use this role? All the tactics on this site seem to be possession based tactics with F9's etc.

Anyone make them or is FM15 not really suited for TM football?

I've been trying to create one too

I used Aston Villa and i played a 4-4-2 with a TM(s) P(a) combo upfront, it was very inconsistent but Benteke bagged a ton of goals..
Target Man IMO are pretty useless this FM.. i had one tctic using a TM wasn't working.. changed it to a CF(s) i began smashing teams and didn't even make other adjustments.. IMO if you're looking to get the most out of the TM you need to play direct football and give him a partner.

A player fit for TM( A) is basically a beast with no pass and vision but with skills so the main tactical instruction to him would be "play ball, boy". All "attack" roles are selfish roles. What people around an attack role do doesn't matter. You just need a 10 to find him (or more preferably a good winger).

A player fit for TM( A) is basically a beast with no pass and vision but with skills so the main tactical instruction to him would be "play ball, boy". All "attack" roles are selfish roles. What people around an attack role do doesn't matter. You just need a 10 to find him (or more preferably a good winger).

Not sure I agree with you though, while the TM ( A) is definitely a number nine it is still very much a role that holds the ball up for others. What people do around an attack role definitely do matter, thats how you setup the service to them.

I am just having problems working out exactly how to use the role effectively in the game as for some reason I find that the TM ( A) has problems getting chances on goal

Can no one get such a tactic to work though? It seems very strange that Target men are so underpowered in this version

Just a word of advice, a Target Man Attack (IMO) isn't going to be a great choice as a lone striker. He lacks movement to be effective enough. It'd be better to give him a strike partner.

Just a word of advice, a Target Man Attack (IMO) isn't going to be a great choice as a lone striker. He lacks movement to be effective enough. It'd be better to give him a strike partner.

Cheers, yes I've definitely found that, although I have found some success using IFs on the wing and looking to exploit the flanks. That way you can have crosses coming and direct passes coming into the TM and because they cut in I find they are far more likely to be playing through balls in the centre of the pitch for the TM to get onto the end of.

But yes playing a TM A by himself upfront isnt very effective.

In my tactics, I use an advanced forward and I have never considered target man and it doesn't fit my tactics anyway.
I also don't use pass into space since I like a patient play style.
A few days ago, I bought an English regen with insane physicals and the main reason why I bought him was because a weakness in my team is that we never win headers close to the opponent's goal in open play.
This regen, Adrian Smitheringdale is more then just a physical beast, he also got 20 off the ball and 17 finishing.
In a friendly, I decided to make some changes to utlize his strengths. I changed his role from advanced forward to target man on attack. My idea was that my team would look to pass it more to him. I also added pass into space on my TI's and I gave him instructions to roam from position and run into space. In that friendly he scored 4 goals before getting subbed off.
It was just a friendly, but I think that if you have a player like this, target man attack would work well.