sidanger

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone has any tips on how they avoid the AI getting used to their tactics. I tend to switch to a different tactic for a few games when the results start to drop off a little, just wondered if there was a better way.

Make snall tweaks every game, like play a slower tempo and tome waste against stronger sides, or push a higher defensive line, press into their half to contain possession when playing weaker sides.

Switch your tactic to them rather than avoiding them "figuring you out". If you're "avoiding" you won't be optimising your own team's performance, if you make tweaks to counter specific tactical threats of the opposite team then you're nullifying their threats the best you can, giving you the better chance.

I have 2 tactics that my team can play fluently, I have a 4-5-1 for away and 4-3-3 at home, so then I can do little tweaks to them from game to game, but a big change (philosophy) maybe every season.
Can mix things up as well with the striking partnership, some game's I like to play Poacher/Trequartisa, sometimes Poacher/Target Man.

The AI doesn't "learn" you tactics, or get used to them, that's a myth.

Crane.....can you expand on what you mean by doesn't learn your tactics? how/ why if you stick to the same formation, do results take a nosedive after a period (three/four months in my expperience)?

Crane.....can you expand on what you mean by doesn't learn your tactics? how/ why if you stick to the same formation, do results take a nosedive after a period (three/four months in my expperience)?

Because you're winning, your reputation increases and teams tend to play more defensively against you. There are loads more factors, but the AI never, ever, "learns" your tactic.

Because you're winning, your reputation increases and teams tend to play more defensively against you. There are loads more factors, but the AI never, ever, "learns" your tactic.

Or then it is just too easy to avoid. I heard that just make your starting strategy to standard sometimes and change it back to your normal one as soon as the game starts is good way.

Crane is right. The AI doesn't respond to your tactic. It responds to Pitch, Weather, Reputation, Injuries, Home/Away, There Managers Attributes. I know. I asked Steve on the SI forums.

Boom.

Or then it is just too easy to avoid. I heard that just make your starting strategy to standard sometimes and change it back to your normal one as soon as the game starts is good way.

I have also heard this many times but it's nonsense. If on the other hand the AI has had time to respond to your strategy and you then change It, you might get the upper hand, at least until they once again respond to loosing out in possession, giving away balls etc.

Starting with Standard can be a rather good starting strategy though, especially against teams playing on the counter. If your team is somewhat overconfident and not on their toes, it makes you conceed less early goals.

The only thing that actually works as you described is when using a totally different formation and putting your key players in lets say goal and then, just as the match start, you revert to the normal formation. The reason for this is that the AI have now used their OIs against your keyplayers/danger men incorrectly. This on the other hand will also work just for a brief period and the risk is probably much greater then the award :D

all, I think i'm finally getting this(its only taken two years of casual gaming!!!). so if what you are all saying is correct then the following should be true: build a tactic that works (more or less) and tweak certain elements every match??

OR is it best to build one tactic philosphy and have three training variants ready (attacking / standard / defensive)?? I say three cause you can only train three in match prep.

Crane is right. The AI doesn't respond to your tactic. It responds to Pitch, Weather, Reputation, Injuries, Home/Away, There Managers Attributes. I know. I asked Steve on the SI forums.

Boom.

So basically there is no point ever completely changing tactics if you find one you are happy with?

Nope there really isn't a point in changing the tactics unless you go on a losing streak and the "media" criticizes you for not making a change. That's when you know you need to change something. Often it's just a matter of your players, I found that the same tactic that failed for me earlier works amazingly now once I have good players. Also don't forget that there every formation as weaknesses and potential counter formations. For example a 4-5-1 can be countered by a 4-4-2 (not sure if this particular relationship is true though)

So basically there is no point ever completely changing tactics if you find one you are happy with?

Not Completely, no. I advise the 3-way route.
A Home Tactic (More Attacking, suits your pitch)
A Narrow Away Tactic (Slightly more defensive, For Narrower Pitches)
A Wide Away tactic (Again, attacking due to the width, playing wide and down flanks. For wider pitches)

As Crane said they will play more defensively against you. It happens to me all the time with Napoli, so I play short passing and a slow approach, this way they do not make silly mistakes and also the opposition would push forward to get the ball, their players getting out of position and also having plenty of space to break through.

No tactic will work for every match, so tweaking has to be done here and there.