Away Games Are Stupidly Hard

Reaction score
Can anyone help?

I really dont understand this game. I think FM23 is the worst version of the game I have ever played.

Almost every away game, its easy to have the better of the game, and yet almost always end up on the losing side, this is usually through a combination of:

1) defenders dont react to through balls and long balls, and just let strikers run past them to score
2) players give away passes ridiculously, leading to goals
3) Its easy to create lots of chances, GOOD ones too, even penalties, yet you seem to miss them or have them blocked constantly

Im genuinely considering whether its worth bothering with this game. It doesnt matter whatever team you play with, the same things happen.

Maybe home games are too EASY? i have no idea? but its very very easy to blast teams away at home no problem.

If it was a tactical thing, id be dominated every game? But in the vast majority of the games we are the better team, we just constantly find a way to lose. Not even draw, LOSE.

Its almost like the only way the game can make it a game with two teams, is to ensure your well built tactic creates errors, and then the opposition pounce on all of their chances.

You can even tell when you will miss. When you get a penalty and know youll miss. When your strikers in front of goal shoot wide and you just know they will.

What is going on? I cant be the only one?

Not the only one.

I'm getting quite sick of the ME this year.

I've experienced the away match issues like you have.

CBs are the worst ever - riddled with mistakes. I've also noticed my players completely contradicting my approach/instructions.

Not the only one.

I'm getting quite sick of the ME this year.

I've experienced the away match issues like you have.

CBs are the worst ever - riddled with mistakes. I've also noticed my players completely contradicting my approach/instructions.
Totally true i play Barca style with Barca type of players all good players, and all im getting is cross after cross after cross even tho my whole team is set up for like Barca play with this tactic from fm 22 Barcelona 2009 tactic 433 | FM Base (fm-base.co.uk) . I just made some changes...like stop crosses and work ball into box even tho i dont use it often, the team just cross, and i cant win a single game :D I have every tactic from every good pro team on the planet- Chelsea Tuchel, CIty Guardiola, etc none of them working, even old tactics dont work and i cant stop a losing streak no matter how many times i reload the game :D still same losing streak in the same period with different tactics. Sad pepega game. FM 22 was bad but this ediiton is ultra menthol

100%. I've been away from the game for a while so had put my shocking form away from home down to rustiness getting back into things (this may still be true!). Currently managing Huddersfield and after 35 games we are 2nd in home form and 4th bottom away from home! Doesn't seem to matter what I try in terms of tactics, personnel or team talks, losing away always just seems...inevitable.

Yeah, i'm pretty close from stepping away from FM23.

The match engine is needlessly brutal and almost seems designed to stop people playing.

Every game away from home I will have an xG of something like 2.60, 9 shots on target, 18 in total, hit the post at least once, twice, and we will score exactly 0.

Meanwhile, the opposition will have 3 highlights throughout the entire game, all of which are goals where they walk through our team like it isn't there.

I don't need to the game to be complete stroll in the park, but playing this latest version is just miserable.

You all sound like you don't watch real football.
1.Stating you see players contradicting your instructions, well that happens IRL simply because 1)they might not be good enough as footballers and decision making etc 2) they haven't or can't cope with your tactics yet (you see pep rebuilding his teams too!!)

2. what's the quality of your shots!??spammimg shots and snatching at chances doesn't mean you should win, if you are having a high number of shots getting blocked maybe you individual players aren't that good in shooting(tinker with player instructions and your creative freedom) or the defenders are quite good in blocking you might decide to be more patient and work into box.

3. seems you all just change tactic each time not giving players enough training and game time to specialize(funnier when you state you use low quality teams like huddersfield in terms of player attributes and adjusting to the fluidity of team pressing creative freedoms etc)

4. stating the opposition have only three highlights and all lead to goals,,well first It's not like we all experience this every game maybe you should take a more closer look at the match and see how they are getting those chances maybe you mids or defs seem to be messing up the play in some way or the opposition are just better(yes they are quite simply better than you, maybe on the day and even overall)

5. And yes downloading and using those 2009 barca tactics doesn't guarantee you instant success your opposition might be good in exploiting it or your layers don't have good chemistry in it.(even pep and klopp adjust and become slightly pragmatic nowadays to cope with the opposition)

You all sound like you don't watch real football.
1.Stating you see players contradicting your instructions, well that happens IRL simply because 1)they might not be good enough as footballers and decision making etc 2) they haven't or can't cope with your tactics yet (you see pep rebuilding his teams too!!)

2. what's the quality of your shots!??spammimg shots and snatching at chances doesn't mean you should win, if you are having a high number of shots getting blocked maybe you individual players aren't that good in shooting(tinker with player instructions and your creative freedom) or the defenders are quite good in blocking you might decide to be more patient and work into box.

3. seems you all just change tactic each time not giving players enough training and game time to specialize(funnier when you state you use low quality teams like huddersfield in terms of player attributes and adjusting to the fluidity of team pressing creative freedoms etc)

4. stating the opposition have only three highlights and all lead to goals,,well first It's not like we all experience this every game maybe you should take a more closer look at the match and see how they are getting those chances maybe you mids or defs seem to be messing up the play in some way or the opposition are just better(yes they are quite simply better than you, maybe on the day and even overall)

5. And yes downloading and using those 2009 barca tactics doesn't guarantee you instant success your opposition might be good in exploiting it or your layers don't have good chemistry in it.(even pep and klopp adjust and become slightly pragmatic nowadays to cope with the opposition)

I think its the people who watch football who dont understand the game mate. If youre suggesting the people who pick tactics with the crazy high lines, crazy formations, one central midfielder, constant counter pressing and signing unheard of Peruvians at 16 are the ones watching real football, I think youre sadly mistaken.

I can only agree with the above and it's such a shame.

The amount of mistakes made by my players is beyond ridiculous. I'm playing as Brighton and whilst I'm managing to keep up with Europa League places, it's is near impossible to play this game because in almost every single game I have played, my players will make largely unforced errors that always, and I mean always, lead to a goal.

I have seen it all in the two seasons I've managed to get through. In the last game I was playing 18th place Watford and Lewis Dunk won the ball in the box only to then chip the ball straight across the box to the unmarked striker. They also somehow managed 22 shots despite 69% pass completion from 38% possession. It is totally baffling to me how no matter what I do tactically to try and gain control, my players will needlessly give the ball way in dangerous areas that lead to chances. That is then followed by huge mistakes that lead to goals.

Meanwhile at the other end, every **** I have seems to magically get blocked, no matter where the defender is. I had a game against Leicester and Iheanacho (who I signed) was clear through on goal. A defender with 11 acceleration somehow caught him up, but still, he had to only open his body as he was on his favourite left foot and he's have scored. Instead, he insanely decided to kick the ball in the only possible place the defender would have any chance of a block. He has 27 finishi, 16 technique and composure. He should be hitting the target at the very very least.

In the same game, Madison who had 2 goals in 29 appearances managed to score with Leicester's only two shots, doubling his tally for the season. The second goal was utterly ridiculous. Caicedo, who has 17 passing, decided to pass to absolutely no one, Tielmans won it, lobbed it forward, it hit Masdisons head about 45 yards from goal and the keeper just kind jumped up in the air whilst the ball was still 29 yards away from him, fell to the floor and watched as the ball rolled in.

The game prior to that, we dominated Liverpool, but again, a massive mistake cost us a goal. Lamptey has been ignoring my short passing instructions all season, despite always having options. Then for no reason, one of the only times there was little support, he passed the ball short to absolutely no one and Firminho tucked away the loose ball.

The game before that we completely annihilated Chelsea in every stat possible, and yet we drew as Jorginho punted a long ball vaguely near Lukaku, Webster went to chase it, then for zero reason whatsoever stopped running whole Lukaku caught up, then, but too late, decided to run again and Lukaku hit a first time 35 yarder into the top corner. Chelsea's only shot and the XG ended 2.62 to 0.02, but the match ended 1-1.

This is just the last four games. In four games there have been four unbelievable mistakes that have led to goals.

Prior to these games I lost two home games in a row 0-5 despite sitting 5th at the time. One of those losses was to a bottom half Southampton who hasn't scored more than two goals since January the previous year. Hilariously those 10 goals came from 9 shots.

What is equally confusing is that the players still get decent match ratings, so I can't even punish them.

The whole match day experience is so ludicrously bad it feels like I'm being trolled by the game. Mistakes happen, sure, but it's literally every game. That on top of the fact that defenders just don't seem to understand how to defend properly is making this the worst FM I've ever played.

There have been even bigger mistakes. Players just randomly sprinting back to position despite being next to the ball. IWs simply unable to cope with the role settings. Centre Midfielders on attack duties just standing ahead of my striker, despite obviously bring needed in the middle of the park.

Please sort it the **** out Si.

It's important to remember that video games, including football management simulations, can sometimes have unpredictable elements and gameplay mechanics that may not always align with real-life expectations. If you're consistently facing these difficulties regardless of the team you're playing with, it could be worth exploring different strategies and tactics to adapt to the game's mechanics. Experimenting with different formations, player roles, and in-game instructions might help you find a more successful approach.
As much as i would like to agree with this, I can't in this years game. The fact the AI can score 2 in 2 shots with an xG of 0.25 is actually bollocks. I understand it should be unpredictable, but its every other away game. I stand by my previous statement.

Just try to find a tactic that actually fits your players, add player instructions, tinker with roles, make sure your training aligns with your tactics and player roles and be patient. Changes won't work instantly, because your team doesn't just magically learn new play styles whenever you get impatient. If your players are shooting wide all the time make them take less shots, as it will make the players wait for a more opportune moment to score. If opposition strikers are making fools of your defenders have them mark those strikers tightly and maybe tell your team drop off more when opposition gets the ball or hold shape instead of counter-pressing etc. Most important thing is to make sure your players are actually comfortable with your tactics. For example, if you have a player in your squad who likes to get stuck in when tackling and your tactics tell your team to stay on their feet, that player will struggle more than others. Also, pay attention to your player stats to figure out what sort of changes to make in your tactics during the season. Player attributes don't always tell how good or bad a player is and you can make apparently bad players do wonders if you just pay attention to their skill set and don't get too set on your ways.
This game is actually ridiculously easy, you just have to stop and think a little bit when things aren't going your way. I keep winning teams like Man City and Arsenal away from home with Nottingham Forest's default squad with just Dani Ceballos, Evanilson and couple of middling young prospects added.

If you follow the meta (high pressing football), game's easy. Anything else is like shooting yourself in the foot.
I won the CL with Partizan Belgrade in my 6th season with them, with mostly domestic players, all because of the ME abuse.