CraigF92

Reaction score
I really struggle away to the big teams. I just don't know how to play against them. I've tried keeping possession and tried hitting them on the counter but none work or my tactics just don't seem to be right for big teams away.

How do you all play away to the big boys? Any suggestions?

I am currently Palace and we are 4th going into the final game against 5th placed Man Utd away at Old Trafford. Its a must win/draw or we won't get fourth and Man Utd will.

These are my results so far away to the big boys...

Tottenham 4-1 C Palace

Man City 0-2 C Palace (a bit lucky)

Arsenal 5-2 C Palace

Liverpool 4-2 C Palace

Chelsea 3-0 C Palace

Tactics i am currently using...

Flexible standard play. Deep 4-2-3-1

Higher tempo, high line, clear ball to flanks, exploit flanks, direct passing, more closing down

Team set up...

G(D)

FB(S) CB(D) CB(D) FB(A)

RGA(S) BWM(S)

W(A) SS(A) W(S)

CF(S)

Is it best to just press them and have a go?

Any team getting the ball forward fairly quickly will have an upper hand here. You're leaving a huge gap (in transition) between the midfield and defence and your left flank looks open too.

Admittedly, yes, your tactic has flaws, but, what do you expect your results to be against these teams?
Scored 7 against top 5 teams in the prem with Palace. Wouldn't tear your hair out about it.

Well how about you try to play a control/flexible or control/fluid mentality/shape. That way your players can exert themselves a bit. You can always change when you score so you can protect it. You can change shape to structured just to keep shape or contain and counter around the 80th minute if you are leading.
I'd suggest you change the BWM to DLP(s) too so you have a holding/creator from deep as well. That's more flexible unless you don't have the players from that.
also your team instructions, how about making the passing mixed? And take out clear ball to flanks, exploit flanks? That limits you and of course those big teams clearly might have better wide men and will beat you to it. A team instruction of mixed passing, tighter marking, play out of defense, close down more is ok. Then you can watch the games fully to see what's lacking before you add any extra TI.