mightyred75

Reaction score
Right, ths is getting on my nerves now. Whenver I play away I seem to never win no matter who I play against. I play as Liverpool and can't get an away win. I understand you must be more defensive against some teams away but against teams like WBA, Hull and Stoke I should still be controlling them. Please can anyone give me any pointers in regards to good away tactics as I am losing the will to live.

What tactics are you currently using? If you post a screenshot, then someone may be able to see where you are going wrong

Right, ths is getting on my nerves now. Whenver I play away I seem to never win no matter who I play against. I play as Liverpool and can't get an away win. I understand you must be more defensive against some teams away but against teams like WBA, Hull and Stoke I should still be controlling them. Please can anyone give me any pointers in regards to good away tactics as I am losing the will to live.

Been having the same problem with my Liverpool team of late. Everything was going great top of the league but then had unexplicable drop in form away from home, and just couldn't buy a win. All started with a 3 nil defeat away to Stoke of all teams, then struggled to get a draw against the teams at the bottom of the league.

Playing around with my tactics only seemed to make things worse, so instead I just used my standard tactic away, and dropped my defence line deep. This seems to have done the trick.

The teams I struggled against seemed to be the ones employing counter attack or possesion football.

Try less attacking though don't go defensive just your standard tactic, and drop defence deep against teams like this, see what happens. Worked for me, and back at top of league, though that 3 nil humiliation to Stoke still smarts! Only loss of the season as well!

i dont know about you but i managed man city for about 3 years and i won the league every time so :S i dont know

Defensive is not always the best option for away games,lots of teams especially the big teams expect you to be defensive but try instead of playing defensive push forward and attack,thats how I win my big games with aston villa and it works very good for now,1st season finished 8th 2nd season 1st

Sorry guys, I was using the downloadable Rafa Benitez tactics (set of 6) using the standard tactic but thinking about creating a new tactic. Current team sheet is

GK Reina
LB Dossena
RB Arebeloa
CB Carragher
CB Agger
RM Srna
LM Reira
MCd Mashcerano
MC Gerrard
FC Caveni
FC Torres

http://rapidshare.com/files/221130168/4222.tac.html

Try this tactic I use,probably one of the best tactic I have ever used.

It probably works best with good teams (Good as in decent since Im Aston villa and I won premier league in my 2nd season)
Also had lots of succes with my man city team.

It need some time before your team settles down with this tactic but ones it does its amazing.

Make both CB dueling the keeper in corners
Give the striker with the most flair the striker position which has lots of creative freedom and running with ball etc.
If you have 2 strikers with good flair then you can also adjust the other striker position.

Not sure if it will win you the premier league in first season since the team takes some time to settle down,but it will definately on longer period(most likely 2nd season already)

whats all this nonsense about playing more defensive at away games? surely being a top side like liverpool you wouldnt need to be defensive away from home..currently on my arsenal game i tend to play attacking at home and probs more attacking away from home dont just continue to the games and hope you win..study the teams then use your brain to set out you players duties on what to do..for example you played some1 like chelsea...

look at their wingers. quaresma and joe cole both fantastic dribblers most deadly they can rip you fulll-backs to bits because they have high ratings for flair..to counter the effect..what you do is..

Set your full-backs(for me its clichy/sagna) player instructions and 'tick' tight marking and marking which makes clichy, sagna to mark their opponents up close not allowing them to dribble, Then just to be sure set your wingers(For me Guardado/Arshavin) player instructions and do the same as you done to your full-backs and 'tick' tight marking and marking to make your wingers track back to mark their opponents ashley/bosingwa and to give your full-backs a much needed support making it a 2 v 2 duel on both flanks clichy/guardado vs quaresma/bosingwa and sagna/arshavin vs joe cole/ashley cole

for me doing that above will get you mega results in the big games as ive beaten all three of them chelsea, man utd and liverpool at home and away game!.

Last edited:
whats all this nonsense about playing more defensive at away games? surely being a top side like liverpool you wouldnt need to be defensive away from home..currently on my arsenal game i tend to play attacking at home and porbs more attacking away from home dont just continue to the games and hope you win..study the teams then use your brain to set out you players duties on what to do..for example you played some1 like chelsea...

look at their wingers. quaresma and joe cole both fantastic dribblers most deadly they can rip you fulll-backs to bits because they have high ratings for flair..to counter the effect..what you do is..

Set your full-backs(for me its clichy/sagna) player instructions and 'tick' tight marking and marking which makes clichy, sagna to mark their opponents up close not allowing them to dribble, Then just to be sure set your wingers(For me Guardado/Arshavin) player instructions and do the same as you done to your full-backs and 'tick' tight marking and marking to make your wingers track back to mark their opponents ashley/bosingwa and to give your full-backs a much needed support making it a 2 v 2 duel on both flanks clichy/guardado vs quaresma/bosingwa and sagna/arshavin vs joe cole/ashley cole

for me doing that above will get you mega results in the big games as ive beaten all three of them chelsea, man utd and liverpool at home and away game!.

In my Liverpool game I haven't had any problems with the bigger teams playing attacking away from home. Had issues with some of the lower teams away examples Stoke and Pompey. they just sat back all game waited for me to come onto them and then hit me on the counter. Stoke had 3 shots on goal all game to my 15+ but they won 3 nil. All my shots were long range, as they had 10 men behind the ball.

Found the best way to beat teams like this is to play a more standard mentality, drop the defence deep there by encouraging them to come at me a bit more leaving space for my own attackers to hit on the break.

Oh forgot to mention I also employee the full backs with tight marking and wingers with tight marking to encourage them to track back.

i dont know about you but i managed man city for about 3 years and i won the league every time so :S i dont know
One of the most worthless comments ever written, anyway try going making your two CBs very defensive and deep, if ou dont concede you should have enough quality in your team to break down there defence.

In my Liverpool game I haven't had any problems with the bigger teams playing attacking away from home. Had issues with some of the lower teams away examples Stoke and Pompey. they just sat back all game waited for me to come onto them and then hit me on the counter. Stoke had 3 shots on goal all game to my 15+ but they won 3 nil. All my shots were long range, as they had 10 men behind the ball.

Found the best way to beat teams like this is to play a more standard mentality, drop the defence deep there by encouraging them to come at me a bit more leaving space for my own attackers to hit on the break.

Oh forgot to mention I also employee the full backs with tight marking and wingers with tight marking to encourage them to track back.

well, Playing teams that sits back all game inviting you to come to them is pretty 50/50 really. all you can do is play wide to make the pitch bigger than it is to make their back four seperate giving your 'Target Man' a more of a chance to set up a chance to score or to score himself then when you go 1-0 up then just switch to 'short' passing game with a defensive mentality making your players pass the ball backwarks all the time making the opposition push foward to get the equaliser when they do that you switch back to your normal tactics hit them on a counter..

had great success with that.

Hmm any other sites I can post that tactic,its great and it will probably work for you aswell

This is the reason your link to the tactics won't work:

Error

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.
This limit is reached.
To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.