Azkals Vs Mongolia

clothier5

Reaction score
Dont think I'll get a lot of reads and comments about this but is anybody watching? 40mins into the game its curently nil all, but the Mongols have a player sent off.

The game so far has been of a low quality but its hugely refreshing to watch a game where egos are massively inflated and playing for your country really does mean a lot to these individuals, some players that you may have heard of before that are playing include the Younghusband brothers (Phil and James, both were in the Chelsea youth set up) and Neil Eitheridge (Fulham 3rd choice GK), in a country which is about 150th ranked according to FIFA it also was amazing to see that they even have "live sites" at numerous malls as well as the game being a sell out. Which to me really is a great sign of intention from the Filipino people to really embrace Football.

The old Azkals manager was assistant manager of Worthing last year :)

Game just sprung into a little bit of action, number 13 Caligdong just fired home from a tight angle to make it one nil to the Philippines, was quite a nice little finish, beat the defender with a nice flick and change of angle and fired it between the legs of the goalie. Anybody would be proud of that finish.

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------

The old Azkals manager was assistant manager of Worthing last year :)

He did really well too, manage them to a victory over Vietnam (regional powerhouses compared with minnows that are the Philippines) and a semi final loss to Indonesia, does any one know what he is up to now? He was sort of replaced only because he didn't have the required badges to coach in the AFC Challenge Cup.

Also Wow! http://twitter.com/search?q=#azkals is the "top trending" thingo on Twitter, pretty good achievement I think for a very minor footballing nation, I really hope they keep building on this to create a proper footballing setup in the country.

Last edited:
Game just sprung into a little bit of action, number 13 Caligdong just fired home from a tight angle to make it one nil to the Philippines, was quite a nice little finish, beat the defender with a nice flick and change of angle and fired it between the legs of the goalie. Anybody would be proud of that finish.

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------

He did really well too, manage them to a victory over Vietnam (regional powerhouses compared with minnows that are the Philippines) and a semi final loss to Indonesia, does any one know what he is up to now? He was sort of replaced only because he didn't have the required badges to coach in the AFC Challenge Cup.

He was replaced because the German FA gave the Filipino FA $10,00,000 to put a German Coach in charge.

He's back in West Sussex, England, looking for another job. I saw him on Boxing Day watching Worthing FC though.

He was replaced because the German FA gave the Filipino FA $10,00,000 to put a German Coach in charge.

He's back in West Sussex, England, looking for another job. I saw him on Boxing Day watching Worthing FC though.

Well when you're a third world country with very limited budget for football, you're going to take the money, I thought they should have kept Simon in the staff though, maybe as an assistant or coach, he is a legend for what his done for the Azkals, in that short space of time.

If you see him again thank him for doing such a great job over here and send him the best wishes from the Filipino people.

Start of the second half now, and the Azkals very much in charge again, all in the Mongols half, except the big clearance up the field to no one.

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

Still 1-0 up, but a goal disallowed from a corner for a non existing foul. Then from a cross the ball hits the crossbar, could have been easily 3 nil by now.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/sports/02/09/11/azkals-vs-blue-wolves-first-half-highlights First half hi-lights for any one who's interested.

---------- Post added at 05:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

Phil Younghusband smashes home another to make it 2-0 with the last kick of the game, superb finish! off the bottom of the upright, swinging around the goalie, don't think theres a 'keeper in the world that would have saved it. The crowd goes off! Younghusband does a summersault and a knee slide just for good measure, soon the teams off for a lap of honour,as well as there is some fireworks, pretty good scenes for a fan of Filipino football. It could have been maybe 3 or 4 nil, I'm eagerly looking forward to the return leg in Mongolia in 3 days time.

Also with news that the national stadium in Bacalod maybe dues for a doubling in capacity, this really makes this week in Filipino footballing history a pretty important one, fingers crossed for more development and further all areas of football in the Philippines though, especially at a local and national level.

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 AM ----------

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37w5CoUPm7g]YouTube - Azkals Vs Blue Wolves, 2-0[/ame]

The two goals, if any body at all is interested in them, First one by "Chieffy" Caligdong, and the second by Philip Younghusband, a former Chelsea youth. Sorry about the sound.. (H)

Last edited:
Early in 2005, the Philippine Football Federation was alerted to Younghusband's eligibility by a mysterious gamer who allegedly found out about their lineage via playing Football Manager

From wiki, lol.