So Where Are We Now?

Having come off the back of a good league campaign, a successful European adventure and restoring English pride in Canada over the summer, this season promises to be one of my biggest yet. First up, a look at the squad is necessary.

View attachment 106819

The squad is a nice blend of youth and experience, and it is incredibly satisfying to have the ability to have an England international striker on the bench. Josh Ryder is the latest record signing at the club, costing a cool 47.5m from Chelsea during the off season. A regular in my England squad now, I'm very happy to have him alongside Scott and Wardley as striking options.

Jamie Knight

View attachment 106818 View attachment 106817

In the case of Knight, who is my first choice keeper without question, I got extremely lucky. Having left Spurs in a big money move to Championship Southampton, I tracked him to see if he would develop. I hadn't anticipated that he would be around so cheaply two years later. I was rapidly losing patience with Wildsmith and some comedic errors, so took a punt at 5.75m. A place in the England squad behind Butland has also followed, and it should mean I don't need to replace my keeper any time soon.

Tyrell Warren

View attachment 106816 View attachment 106815

Tyrell was my first signing on entering the Premier League. Listed by United, I thought he'd be a useful one season stop gap until I could afford someone better. The reality is that he turned out to be a very consistent signing. Consistent ratings and his versatility meant that he remained a key part of the team, especially when Gomez got injured last season, when Warren was required at RB and CB.

Calum Chambers

View attachment 106814 View attachment 106813

The former England prodigy has found himself at the Bank for the last few years of his career. Having not made himself a permanent fixture for the Gunners, he moved to Lincoln with the intention of being the new right back. Instead, he has spent a fair amount of time at CB covering injuries. A solid performer, his experience has proved vital at the back for us.

Bob Peers

View attachment 106812 View attachment 106811

Bob may only be 26, but has already been at four clubs. It was his progression at Boro that really brought him to my attention though, and I recognised the potential for him to be part of my England set up as well. The 15m we paid was well worth it as we set him up alongside Gomez, but he has also partnered Chambers, Warren and Lascelles comfortably. Happy with scoring from set pieces as well, Peers should form part of the backline for years to come.

Kieran Tierney

View attachment 106810 View attachment 106809

I chased Tierney on arriving in the Premier League, and finally got my man a couple of seasons ago. An average first season gave way to much stronger performances, and any early doubts I had were soon extinguished. The ideal left back for me, it's meant that I have a stable back line. Pushed into a slightly more attacking role this season, he's provided 2 assists in 3 as he looks to adapt.

Dan Ejaria

View attachment 106807 View attachment 106806

My midfield maestro. I regard him in much the same role that Gerrard had at Liverpool; a dynamic midfielder that is happy anywhere over the pitch. One of the most consistent players in the team, he has a knack of turning up and piling in a long range finish without being picked up, or ghosting into the box for a tap in. Both his England goals were 25 yard screamers at crucial points of the game. Captain of the club until the end of the 2024/25 season when he chose to stand down, he runs the midfield, and in my opinion is probably the most important player on the team.

Jamie Harrington

View attachment 106805 View attachment 106804

Jamie is a relatively new arrival to the club, having joined from Arsenal last year. Going down the well trodden path from Southampton to the Emirates, I saw an opportunity to pick up a promising youth player and took it. Having seen him play for the England youth teams, I expected to sign him and maybe loan him out for a bit. Instead, he became a first teamer straight away. His first season wasn't spectacular, but there is plenty of room for him to improve.

Callum Gribbin

View attachment 106803 View attachment 106802

The playmaker of the team. Having had a great career at United, Callum moved to us last year after a stunning Confeds peformance. With goals and assists aplenty, his most crucial act last season was the Champions League winning goal against Chelsea. The designated set piece taker on the team, he is capable of playing on the right wing as well, a position he made his own towards the end of the season.

Steven Benjamin

View attachment 106801 View attachment 106800

Another to join from United, but this time to save his career. His development since joining us has been spectacular, and is now regularly pushing for an England squad place. Despite a steady, yet unspectacular first season, we chose to keep faith with him over the departing Adam Robertson, and this season will be key in his career.

Sheyi Ojo

View attachment 106799 View attachment 106796

Sheyi followed the Jordon Ibe route initially in joining Bournemouth, but upon their relegation, he moved to Lincoln. Generally found on the left wing, he's formed a useful partnership with Tierney. However, he will need to kick on this season with the end of his playing career coming ever closer.

Josh Ryder

View attachment 106793 View attachment 106792

My latest record signing. The Chelsea grad was often getting stuck behind lead striker Jamie Murphy and for the sake of his international and club ambitions, was receptive to a move to us. We started talking before the CL final, and after a month of negotiations, we concluded the deal whilst out in Canada. Set to battle it out with Scott and Wardley, he has displayed some impressive talent so far, and is also comfortable moving out left if required.

Aidan Wardley

View attachment 106790 View attachment 106789

Aidan is very much a case of what could have been. A spectacular first two seasons after joining saw him take the league top goalscorer award. However, with bigger clubs taking interest, his form spectacularly nose dived, and he hasn't really recovered since. He remains a useful part of the squad, but he really needs to get over the last two years fast if he wishes to stay with us.

Ryan Kent

View attachment 106788 View attachment 106787

Ryan was a player I'd been tracking for a while, so when the opportunity to bring him in came up, I jumped at it. Some superb performances got him into the England squad, but injuries and poor form have played their part recently as the ex-Liverpool player often finds himself in a more cameo role these days. Nonetheless, he remains a useful winger to have.

Chris Scott

View attachment 106786 View attachment 106785

I did try and sign Scott before he went to City, but he was lured by the big paypacket. He saw the light though, and jumped ship to us after one appearance in Manchester. It worked well as he finished as our top scorer for the season, and with a Champions League medal to boot. He started this season with an opening day hattrick, and has set down an early season marker for the other two.

Joe Gomez

View attachment 106783 View attachment 106782

Joe was set to be a key player for us, but a cruciate ligament injury has rather set him back. Until then, he and Lascelles/Peers dominated league defences. For 7m, he was a steal. Despite a potential move to LA Galaxy, I have every intention of keeping him at the club, and bringing him back to as high a level as possible.​