Bad News For Boro Fans

Lee

Administrator
Reaction score
Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren has signed a contract extension with the club running until 2009.

McClaren's future has been the subject of speculation as contract talks took place and he had been linked to taking over at England and Manchester United.

He is an assistant to England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson and was understudy to Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford.

But he said: "The club going is places so it was never even a question of whether or not I wanted to stay."

The new deal will ease concerns over any exit while ensuring Boro are compensated should he leave.

McClaren led the Teesside outfit to their first trophy when they won the Carling Cup in 2004 to qualify for the Uefa Cup.

The 44-year-old also guided them to their highest Premiership placing by guiding them to seventh last season.

McClaren added: "In my mind, there was never any doubt about the new deal.

"It has been as good as done for a long time now but people kept asking me whether I had signed and I've done that now.

"What the contract extension means is I can now concentrate fully on continuing to build on what we've done and take Boro forward over the next few years."

its not all doom n gloom :

Middlesbrough's Abel Xavier has been given an 18-month suspension after he tested positive for a banned substance.

Gregor said:
its not all doom n gloom :

Middlesbrough's Abel Xavier has been given an 18-month suspension after he tested positive for a banned substance.

Aww he's my fave Boro player aswell, not sure why. Boro games are boring without him. :sadclown:

Good to both. Liked Xavier but if he took drugs it's what he deserves as for McClaren, most succesful ever Middlesbrough manager. Can't go wrong.

agreed with all u said (yn) but maybe 4 years is too long hmmm

and its a blessing in disguise that xavier is banned cas hes *****...