Bafana Bafana - A Lucas Radebe story.

Zzzonked

Reaction score
South_Africa_FA.png

Growing up in South Africa wasn't easy for me. I was born into racial segregation in an area which was heavily effected, this being Soweto. At the age of 15 I was sent to Bantustan, an area set aside for black South African's in the apartheid era, in order to escape the violence in my home town.

Whilst in Bantustan I played football as a goalkeeper, with a dream that I would be selected to represent my country, though at the time I did not realise I would be playing as a central defender.

I was then snapped up by local club Kaiser Chiefs, this time as a midfielder. In 1991, a year after becoming a Kaiser Chiefs regular I was linked with clubs away from South Africa, as a result of this I was shot whilst walking down the street, an act to try and prevent me from leaving.

Due to this incident my FIFA agent Marcelo Houseman requested a move to a different club, this would turn out to be Leeds United.

Four years later after a decent start for me at Leeds I was announced as captain for the 98/99 season. This was a massive moment for me in my career. I was captain of a massive club. It was an honour.

This season we qualified for the champions league by reaching the fourth spot, the season after moving up to 3rd. I rejected moves away to A.C Milan and Manchester United. Both were, and still are illustrious clubs, but the bond between me and Leeds United was too strong, it was not just my love for Leeds United, but my love for South Africa which brought me here.

I played 70 games for my nation, I was honored to do so. After retiring in 2005 I have been aiming to play a part in the national setup. Maybe as a coach? Who knows, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

-----

South African FA promise to announce their new manager for the World Cup within the next 24 hours.

tears to me eyes :'(

good OP, good luck, and i'll be following ;)

banner_bg.jpg

South Africa look for Parreira successor

Wednesday 6th July

Parreira resigns from South Africa

Shock reports confirm that Carlos Alberto Parreira has stepped down from national management to focus on career in club management. With the World Cup in touching distance, the hosts are currently manager-less.

Parreira had this to say -

"I have decided to step down today to focus on club level management. I understand the frustration of the fans but I didn't feel any passion for the team and at risk of letting the nation down in the World Cup, I resigned."

0,,16095567-EX,00.jpg

attachment.php

Bafana Bafana want Radebe

Wednesday 6th July

With the South African F.A planning to announce their new manager, fans and certain players are hoping for legend Lucas Radebe to take control.

Sky Sports caught up with Lucas to ask him about his opinion on the current situation.

Lucas, you are one of the favourites to take over the national side, is it something you would like to pursue?

Of course, it would be a great honour for me to coach our national side. Since retiring I have always been interested in management but have been unlucky in finding the right team. I believe this is a perfect opportunity for me to show what I am made of.

With no management experience under your belt, do you really believe you can make South Africa proud in the World Cup?

I do, yes. I have expressed my love for my nation and I believe this is very important. The passion of South Africa is what will help us throughout the World Cup. Lets just say I am very excited to even be considered as a replacement for Mr. Parreira.

Have you spoken for the South African FA about the job?

I have spoken to them solely as a possible manager, I do not know who will be the next manager of our nation. That is all, thank you.

banner_bg.jpg

Vuvuzela's sound for Radebe!

Thursday 7th July

Lucas Radebe has been announced as Bafana Bafana manager

Lucas%20RadebeWS.jpg

It is an honour and a privilege to be here today. Growing up as a child here wasn't easy, but I remained positive and knowing that one day things would change, and they did. I love my country and it is a dream come true to be able to sit here today.

bafana bafana what a name

Good look and nice layout mate

Nice a South Africa story! I follow yours you follow mine ok? ;)

Good luck mate I'm doing an African story as well so it should be fun :) I'll follow

Nice a South Africa story! I follow yours you follow mine ok? ;)

Sounds good to me dude, good luck with yours!

Good luck mate I'm doing an African story as well so it should be fun :) I'll follow

Cheers mate, yeah it shall be interesting :) I'll follow yours. Goodluck!

----------------------------------------

banner_bg.jpg

Radebe announces friendlies in the build up to the World Cup.

Radebe announces five friendlies starting with Serbia on the 12th of August, then its off to Ireland for Bafana Bafana on the 8th of September. Thirdly we fly out to Madagascar on September the 17th. We finish off with October, with two friendlies in quick succession starting with Norway on the 10th then 4 days later off to Iceland to finish off our friendly schedule.

attachment.php

Fitness doubt for star player Benni McCarthy

Tuesday 4th August

With the up comming friendly against Serbia, striker Benni McCarthy is doubtful to start. However, he is selected in the 26 man squad which suggests there is a chance the Blackburn player will be fit.

attachment.php

26-man squad is announced

Thursday 6th August

New manager Radebe announces his first squad for a friendly against Serbia.

Radebe has also announced his captaincy will remain with Aaron Mokoena, with Matthew Booth as Vice Captain.

Goalkeepers:
Rowen Fernandez
Moeneeb Josephs
Itumeleng Khune

Defenders:
Anele
Matthew Booth (vc)
Bevan Fransman
Siboniso Gaxa
Bongali Khumalo
Peter Masilela
Nasief Morris

Midfielders:
Kagiso Dikgacoi
Benson Mhlongo
Teko Modise
Aaron Mokoena (c)
Steven Pienaar
MacBeth Sibaya
Siphiwe Tshabalala
Elvio Van Heerden
Benedict Vilakazi

Forwards:
Lerato Chabangu
Thembinkosi Fanteni
Mabhuti Khenyeza
Benni McCarthy
Katlego Mphela
Sandile Ndlovu
Bernard Parker

banner_bg.jpg

South Africa vs Serbia

Wednesday 12th August

Match Preview

Starting XI

View attachment 83477

McCarthy is set to start as a lone striker with Tshabalala and Pienaar operating down the wings. Modise and Dikgacoi will start centrally, this will give a good balance both defensively and offensively. Captain Mokoena will sit just infront of the back four. Young right-back Anele will start at the age of 21 with Masilela on the left of the defence. Vice-captain Booth and Mhlongo start at central defence.

banner_bg.jpg

South Africa earn a well-fourght draw.

Wednesday 12th August
Atteridgeville Super Stadium, Pretoria

SuperStadium2009.jpg

Radebe's boys draw against a strong Serbia side.

South-Africa-Fans-World-Cup-Group-A_2464260.jpg

South Africa 0 - 0 Serbia

View attachment 83627 View attachment 83628

We played well out there today, we hit the woodwork twice which was unlucky and battled to earn the draw. The players are showing passion and comitment and I am looking forward to the up comming friendly against Ireland in a months time.

Last edited:
great layout and great result against Serbia. Fab choice of team as well, and it makes one of the best stories on FM Base. Good luck and well done :D

attachment.php

Critical injuries for Lucas' boys.

Tuesday 1st September

Big players including Dikgacoi set to miss Ireland game

It can be confirmed that four injuries have recently occured for South Africa, the most noticable being Fulham midfielder Kagiso Dikgacoi. The 24 year old has been ruled out for 8 weeks after dislocating his shoulder in training. The next being Khumalo, a regular starter for the national side will be ruled out for 5 weeks with a twisted ankle. In relation to this, the third South African player to be struck with injury is the pacey midfielder Benedict Vilakazi who picked up strained ankle ligaments in training. Finally, striker Lerato Chabangu unfortunately picked up a head injury and is out for nine days.

attachment.php

Radebe announces 26-man squad to face Ireland

Wednesday 2nd September

Goalkeepers:
Rowen Fernandez
Moeneeb Josephs
Itumeleng Khune

Defenders:
Anele
Matthew Booth (vc)
Bevan Fransman
Siboniso Gaxa
Bongali Khumalo
Peter Masilela
Nasief Morris
Derick Spencer

Midfielders:
Kagiso Dikgacoi
Benson Mhlongo
Teko Modise
Aaron Mokoena (c)
Steven Pienaar
MacBeth Sibaya
Siphiwe Tshabalala
Elvio Van Heerden
Benedict Vilakazi

Bradley Carnell
Suprise Moriri

Michael Modubi

Forwards:
Thembinkosi Fanteni
Mabhuti Khenyeza
Benni McCarthy
Katlego Mphela
Sandile Ndlovu
Bernard Parker

Carnell, Modubi and Moriri replace Vilakazi, Khumalo and Chabangu and Derrick Spencer slots into the defender's spot replacing midfielder Dikgacoi.

banner_bg.jpg

Ireland vs South Africa

Tuesday 8th September

Match Preview

Starting XI

View attachment 83889

Alot of changes for Bafana Bafana going into this match.
Four injuries force us to make changes but due to this being a friendly I want to be able to experiment. Big striker Sandile Ndlovu will start as a lone frontman with recent addition Moriri starting on the left wing with Van Heerden on the right. Pienaar changes roles to place the playmaker centre midfielder along-side Modise who started against Serbia. Sibaya starts in the holding role, making way for Mokoena. Anele and Spencer start as the two central defenders with Gaxa and Fransman operating the flanks from the back.

Great layout and looks good so far, Good luck agaisnt the Irish :)

On my game madagascar beat South Africa 2-0. Just saying.

Great story, there been so many African Nations stories latly, like my ghana one

banner_bg.jpg

Ireland held to a draw by South Africa

Tuesday 8th September
Hogan Park, Limerick

twif051122162112.jpg

A good performance from South Africa earns them another draw.

Surprise-Moriri3MTNWL%7E1.jpg

Moriri scores to give South Africa the lead inside 18 minutes.

South Africa 1
- 1 Ireland
(Surprise Moriri - Noel Hunt)

View attachment 84075 View attachment 84074

Itumeleng Khune was outstanding today, he pulled off some great saves and thoroughly deserved his man of the match award. Moriri did well to bag himself a goal within 20 minutes but the late equalizer knocked us down a bit, but we are determined to come back stronger in our next friendly against Madagascar. In other player news, Elrio Van Heerden is injured with a twisted knee and will be out for 3-4 weeks. Sibaya captained the side today in the holding role and did well for us. I am looking forward to our next game.

Last edited:
banner_bg.jpg

South Africa stroll past Madagascar

Thursday 17th September
Absa Stadium, Durban

versveld.jpg

Five goals from Bafana Bafana

ChabanguLeratoCelebrts070926_BPPbg.jpg

Chabangu celebrates his second goal.

South Africa 5 - 0 Madagascar
(McCarthy, Sibaya, Mokoena, Chabangu)

View attachment 84328 View attachment 84329

Solid win, disapointed with the chances we didn't put away but a solid game for us. A change of tactic using 3 in the centre and an attacking midfielder of Pienaar worked well and it is definitley something I will look into going into the next few friendlies. Chabangu got man of the match today with his two goals.

Last edited: