Ball playing defender as either stopper or cover?

csa99

Reaction score
i'm playing with arsenal and i was wanting to play my 2 CB's as stopper and cover but i dont know wheather to play the ball playing CB to be a stopper (so he can play balls from where he tackles the opposition i.e further up the pitch) or in cover duty (so that he plays balls from the back where he has more time etc) ?

If you still have Vermaelen play him as a Ball playing defender as stopper, he had 2 excellent seasons when I played him as that and won defender of the year.

I would think the only way you can really do it is to play the ball-playing DC (Vermaelen I assume) in the role that best suits him, whether its cover (requires a bit more quickness) or stopper (more aggressive and overall better defender). I used to use a ball-playing/cover defender and he would put up great ratings, but that was mostly because he had perfect stats and PPMs for the role, along with a partner that had great stats for stopper.

Not sure about how a ball-playing/stopper would work, I have no experience with it and theoretically I can imagine it creating some problems if you don't have very stout guy as cover. But not sure.

Personally I always fit my formation and roles to the players' strengths, rather than trying to fit players into a predetermined role.

Last edited:
Kosenliy as stopper in DCL
djouro as normal defend in DCR

Sebastian squl. same as djouru
vermaleen same as kosenily