All really tight at the top but hopefully you can keep your place on top, just have to convince the players to hit the target a bit more

I have to admit that I've enjoyed the Croatian league a lot more than I expected....I actually chose it first hoping I could get it out the way early! But the fact my team struggles to score goals is a ******, but I suppose I can take solace in the fact that this is probably the best I've ever had a team playing defensively!

Love the Croatian league myself, but always been a bit of a glory hunter going for Dinamo and bringing the players through. They have brought some awesome players through like Kovacic, Vrsaljko, Mandzukic and Kramaric. remember some of them being 16 years old in the game as wonderkids, doing amazing as Hajduk so far

Love the Croatian league myself, but always been a bit of a glory hunter going for Dinamo and bringing the players through. They have brought some awesome players through like Kovacic, Vrsaljko, Mandzukic and Kramaric. remember some of them being 16 years old in the game as wonderkids, doing amazing as Hajduk so far

Cheers mate. Need a good run of results on the final stretch now to keep in contention!

March 2018

hajduk.png
March 2018
"What A **** Month"

Three games played, no wins, only 1 goal scored! Rubbish!

View attachment 55527

Matchday 26: Rijeka - Home (1st vs 2nd)
Formation: 4-1-2-3 Wide
Lineup: Stipica, Juranovic, Nizic, Oluic, Filip, Radosevic (Gentzoglou 80), Caktas, Kozulj (Basic 80), Said, Barry, Gonzalez (Futacs 80)

View attachment 55526

I'll take the draw here. Although we were possibly slightly the better side, the main aim here was not to lose and let Rijeka overtake us in the table. I looked ahead and saw we had a run of what should be 'easier' games where we could extend our lead at the top if any of our title rivals slip up over the next few weeks.

Matchday 27: Lokomotiva - Away (6th vs 2nd)
Lineup: Stipica, Juranovic, Nizic, Oluic, Filip, Radosevic (Gentzoglou 70), Caktas, Kozulj, Said, Barry. Gonzalez (Futacs 70)

View attachment 55525

A bore draw! Lokomotiva came into this one on a run of 5 games without loss, so it wasn't going to be as easy as the table positions may suggest.

Matchday 28: Slaven Belupo - Home (2nd vs 8th)
Formation: 4-3-2-1
Lineup: Stipica, Juranovic, Nizic, Borja, Filip, Gentzoglou, Caktas, Kozulj, Said, Barry (Benko 45), Gonzalez (Futacs 45)

View attachment 55524

Oh dear! Defeat against Slaven Belupo rounds off a terrible month!

Player of the Month

Mijo Caktas
MC

eb45774b96db61efdf54.jpeg

Appearances: 3
Goals: 0
Assists: 1
Key Passes: 9
Average Rating: 7.67

Caktas picks up his 3rd consecutive player of the month award. He was the only decent player this month as the rest of his teammates let him down.

League Table

Our shocking form this month has seen us drop from 1st to 3rd in the table.

View attachment 55523

Good luck for the finish. 32 goals in 28 games? jeezo.

The craziest league table I have ever seen was the 2013 Nigeria league. Look it up and check out the away wins for each team!

Last edited:
Good luck for the finish. 32 goals in 28 games? jeezo.

The craziest league table I have ever seen was the 2013 Nigeria league. Look it up and check out the away wins for each team!

Just had a look....wow! Winning a league title with 15 losses has to be a first!

April 2018

hajduk.png

April 2018
"I Think Our Title Challenge Is Over"

The month started so well with back to back wins and it looked like we was getting back to some decent form on the final run in. Only for it to all go horribly wrong with 2 defeats to title challengers Osijek and Dinamo.

View attachment 55423

Matchday 29: Istra 1961 - Away (8th vs 3rd)
Lineup: Stipica, Juranovic, Nizic, Borja, Filip, Gentzoglou, Caktas, Kozulj, Said, Benko (Gonzalez 71), Futacs

View attachment 55422

For once, all my forward players were on the ball with their finishing! The perfect way to put last month's awesome form behind us! An emphatic victory away from home which sees us rise back to the top of the league! The pick of the goals was Benko's curling effort into the top corner from 20 yards out.

Matchday 30: Rudes - Away (10th vs 1st)
Lineup: Stipica, Ismajli, Nizic, Borja, Filip, Gentzoglou, Caktas (Basic 63), Kozulj, Said, Benko, Futacs (Gonzalez 63)

View attachment 55421

Dinamo and Rijeka had both dropped points before we kicked off this game, so this game against the bottom side became a golden opportunity for us. And we took it....but only just! Rudes have impressed me every time we've played them this season. Although we have beaten them all 4 games, 3 out of those 4 wins have only been 1-0. Again they proved a really tough side to play against and it was only down to a brilliantly taken goal in the 87th minute from substitute Gonzalez which secured us all 3 points.

Matchday 31: Inter Zapresic - Home (1st vs 5th)
Lineup: Stipica, Juranovic, Nizic, Borja, Filip, Gentzoglou, Caktas, Kozulj, Said, Benko, Futacs (Gonzalez 58)

View attachment 55420

Inter Zapresic came into this one 1st in the form table so it was a potential banana skin for us on the final run in. Despite us having 63% possession and having more than 20 shots on goal, we only managed a 1-1 draw which is enough to keep us top, with 5 games to go.

Matchday 32: Osijek - Home (1st vs 4th)
Lineup: Stipica, Juranovic (Tudor 64), Nizic, Oluic, Filip, Gentzoglou, Caktas, Kozulj (Basic 22), Said (Gonzalez 35), Benko, Futacs

View attachment 55419

Three of our final five games will be against our title rivals and this was the first. And we were ****....f*cking ****!

Matchday 33: Dinamo - Home (3rd vs 1st)
Formation: 4-5-1 Flat
Lineup: Stipica, Juranovic, Nizic, Oluic, Filip, Radosevic, Caktas (Basic 68), Kozulj, Tudor, Barry (Gyurcso 68), Gonzalez

View attachment 55418

After the loss to Osijek, this game had become a must win for us if we wanted to keep our hopes of winning the title alive. But a late goal from Dinamo consigned us to defeat and most likely puts paid to our chances of winning the league as we are now 6 points off the pace in 4th with only 4 games remaining.

Player of the Month

Zvonimir Kozulj
MC

21020481.png

Appearances: 5
Goals: 1
Assists: 2
Interceptions: 5
Average Rating: 7.46

Zvonimir has been one of the only players in the side this month that consistently played well over all 5 games. Shame plenty of the other lads let the side down.

League Table

We drop down to 4th and I think it's the first time all season we've been outside the top 3. With the title probably out of reach now, we need to try to push on in our final 3 games and at least ensure we make the European qualification places.

View attachment 55417

Other News

With the dip in form, and falling outside of the top 3, the pressure is mounting on my job, with my status officially becoming insecure with the board.

View attachment 55416

And I'm losing the dressing room too.

View attachment 55415

May 2018

hajduk.png

May 2018
"Completely Fallen Apart"

We went into complete meltdown in the final month of the season, recording 3 defeats. This means we end the season on a run of 6 games without a win!

View attachment 55414

Matchday 34: Cibalia - Away (9th vs 4th)
Formation: 4-3-2-1
Lineup: Stipica, Juranovic, Oluic, Borja, Milinovic, Gentzoglou, Basic, Kozulj, Tudor, Benko (Barry 17), Gonzalez

View attachment 55407

With the pressure mounting on me, it was crucial that we beat one of the bottom sides here. But we got off to the worst possible start and that seemed to unsettle the lads and we looked indifferent throughout the 1st half. However, we did manage to go in at the break level thanks to an absolute worldie from Savvas Gentzoglou. From a corner, the ball was chipped out to him on the ede of the 18 yard box and he hit a first time half volley into the top corner....possibly the best goal I've seen this season! I was looking for the team to push on in the second half and get us the win, but instead they offered me nothing....no determination, no fight and no passion. Cibalia not only got a winner, but had 2 more goals disallowed too, as they walked all over us!

Matchday 35: Rijeka - Away (2nd vs 4th)
Formation: 4-5-1 Variation
Lineup: Stipica, Juranovic, Nizic, Borja, Fomitschow, Gentzoglou, Caktas, Kozulj, Tudor (Said 25), Barry, Gonzalez

View attachment 55408

I decided for a change in formation, hoping it could spark a better performance. We played 4 at the back, 1 defensive midfielder with a flat 3 in midfield (2 centre mids and a right winger). On the left side of the pitch I had Barry pushed up as an advanced playmaker with Gonzalez playing off him in the lone striker role. Our performance was a lot better and this was a very tight game, based on the possession and stats, but with our confidence lacking and Rijeka aiming to win back to back league titles, they just edged it on the day. With one game left, we can no longer make European qualification and I fear this could cost me my job!

Matchday 36: Lokomotiva - Home (4th vs 6th)
Lineup: Stipica, Juranovic, Nizic, Borja, Fomitschow, Radosevic, Caktas, Kozulj, Said, Barry, Futacs (Gonzalez 45)

View attachment 55409

Our final game of the season meant nothing really as we were destined to finish 4th no matter what. I just wanted to go out on a win as I had a strong feeling this could be my last game in charge at the club. But I didn't get it and we go down to another defeat and the season ends on a real low point.

Player of the Month

Savvas Gentzoglou
DM/MC

SavvasGentsoglou.jpg

Appearances: 2
Goals: 1
Assists: 0
Tackles Won: 7
Average Rating: 7.60

A couple of decent performances from Gentzoglou and a cracker of a goal.

Final League Table

It's Dinamo who are champions! After finishing on the same points as Rijeka, they win the league based on the better head to head record. We finish a disappointing 4th. So gutted after being top for so much of the season! The only silver lining is that we will be in the qualifying stages of the Europa League next season due to Dinamo winning the Croatian Cup.

View attachment 55413

View attachment 55412

Other News

As mentioned above, it was Dinamo who completed the double, lifting the Croatian Cup.

View attachment 55411

And, as expected, the board had me in for an emergency meeting at the end of the season to discuss our poor performance and threatening that my job is under serious threat. However, to my surprise discussions went well and they've decided to keep me on after I convinced them not to sack me as the club has been through too many changes recently.

View attachment 55410

End of Season

hajduk.png

End of Season 2017/18

So after a disappointing season (in the end), let's have a look at the player's stats! We really struggled scoring goals this season, proven by the fact our top goalscorer was a central midfielder (Caktas) with only 7. Caktas also finished the season with the most assists (7) and most man of the match awards (7). Zvonimir Kozulj recorded the highest average rating of 7.18. Here's the stats for the whole team.

View attachment 55406

And our best eleven...

View attachment 55405

On league awards night, we cleaned up to be fair.... Caktas picking up the First Division Player of the Year, Fabian Benko picking up Young Player of the Year and Gentzoglou grabbed the award for Goal of the Season.

View attachment 55404

View attachment 55403

View attachment 55402

It would seem I also have the best central midfield partnership in the league as Kozulj and Caktas both make the team of the year.

View attachment 55401

And my youngsters in the Hadjuk II side had a decent season and picked up 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Second Division young player of the season award.

View attachment 55400

The commercial summary for the season makes for good reading with income on the rise in every area.

View attachment 55399

Although the club still made big losses (mainly down to the transfer money I had and spent).

View attachment 55398

Leaving roughly half the money in the bank than when I started here a year ago.

View attachment 55397

We had some good news regarding the UEFA rankings and it seems we'll soon have two qualification spots for the Champions League up for grabs as well as 3 for the Europa League.

View attachment 55396

And finally, as we move towards the new season, the board have set the initial budgets. We'll have around £1 million to spend on new transfers.

View attachment 55395

European Competition Winners

Minfo-130924133423p3w3.jpg

European Competition Review

Here's the winners of the top 20 leagues in Europe over the past season...

Spanish La Liga: Real Madrid
German Bundesliga: Bayern Munich
English Premier League: Manchester City
Italian Serie A: Juventus
French Ligue 1: Paris Saint Germain
Russian Premier League: CSKA Moscow
Portuguese Primeira Liga: Sporting Lisbon
Ukrainian Premier League: Shakhtar
Belgian Pro League A: Standard
Turkish Super League: Fenerbahce
Czech First League: Viktoria Pizen
Swiss Super League: Basel
Dutch Eredivisie: PSV Eindhoven
Greek Superleague: PAOK
Austrian Bundesliga: FC RB Salzburg
Croatian First League: Dinamo

German 2.Bundesliga: Darmstadt
Danish Superliga: FC Midtjylland
Romanian Liga 1: Steau Bucharest
English Championship: Aston Villa

Champions League Winners: Manchester United
Runners Up: Barcelona

Europa League Winners: Real Madrid
Runners Up: Arsenal

Pre Season 18/19

hajduk.png

Pre Season 2018/19

Pre season went well enough with some decent results. We mainly played lower league teams so we were expected to win, but I'm pleased that the defence was solid and good to see us banging in some goals along the way too. Ivan Prtajin is staking a claim for a position in the starting 11, scoring 8 goals in the final 2 games.

View attachment 55370

I've been working on a new formation over the pre season campaign. It was clear that last year we didn't score enough goals, so I wanted to re-evaluate my players and see what I could come up with which was more attacking, but whilst keeping us pretty tight at the back. Here's the new formation I'll be using at the start of the season and seeing how we go....

View attachment 55369

Goalkeeper - Self explanatory. I set him to fewer risky passes to avoid giving the ball straight back to the opposition.

CB x2 - I have both my centre backs on defensive centre back, but this is only because it's the best role suited to them. If they were more suited to central of ball playing defender, I'd set that. I have both CBs instructions set to close down less as I don't want them being pulled out of position.

DM - Set to a half back role to provide extra cover to the two centre backs. Again I set instructions to close down less.

WBR - This is my attacking wing back who I will be looking to get forward as much as possible and ping balls into the box.

WBL - A much more defensive wing back who will provide wide cover but not get so far forward.

MCR (Carrilero) - This player's role is set to Carrilero as I want him linking the defence and the attack through the middle. He doesn't need to be pushing out wide or getting really far forward as my WBR is set to attack down the right side.

MCL (Mezzala) - The left centre mid is set to Mezzalan role so that he will get out wide and get further up the pitch (as the WBL is a more defensive player).

AMC - Again I have this role set to a support advanced playmaker but I'd happily change this role to suit the players best position. But this is the man I want to be playing my through balls to the strikers all day long, so his passing and vision is key. He'll also be required to ping the ball out wide for the WBR and Mezzala as they get forward from deep.

ST x2 - I'm going with 2 up front this season to try to score more goals. However, I don't like to play two strikers with the same role who will be making the same runs, so my left sided striker is an advanced forward to provide more width on the left as the WBL is a defensive role. The right sided striker is a poacher....I want him sniffing around the box for them cross from the right and through balls from my playmaker.

The title odds are almost identical to last season, with us listed as third favourites behind Dinamo and Rijeka.

View attachment 55368

The board's expectations are also pretty much the same. Europa League qualification in the league and the final of the Croatian Cup. As far as this year's Europa League competition goes, I'm not expected to even make it through the qualifying rounds.

View attachment 55366

Considering we were having crunch talks at the end of last season, I was more shocked than anyone to be offered a new contract during the pre season campaign. I gladly accepted and even take a £100 per week pay rise.

View attachment 55365

The first qualifying round stages were drawn for the Europa League and we've been given a fixture against FK Sutjeska Niksic from Montenegro.

View attachment 55364