Balotelli 'could outshine Torres'

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 2K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini believes new striker Mario Balotelli has the potential to be a better player than Liverpool's Fernando Torres.

More...

He has potential to be close. But as in FM, potential is not always reached. And looking at his lack of discipline, I doubt this bold claim very much.

He has potential to be close. But as in FM, potential is not always reached. And looking at his lack of discipline, I doubt this bold claim very much.

Yeah could be another Cassano, or he could be one of the worlds best

If he learn dicipline I think he can be one of the world's best forwards. If not he will end upp like Cassano quite good but nothing special.

Balotelli seriously has potential to be one of the Best if he can get his head down and work hard

Quote by Jose Mourinho---Balotelli only gives 25 percent effort in Training but if he gave even 50 percent he could be one of the Best

Top Praise from such a Manager

Emphasize on the word 'could' not 'is'. José Mourinho apparently said he gives only 25% in training, if he gave 50% he would be the best player in the world, if he gave 100% he would become the best player of all time. His problem is his attitude and lack of discipline. At least El Nino gives 100% every time!
EDIT: Just saw the above, posted at about the same time!

High praise from such a manager,if i were him I will definetly not let that amazinbg potential go to waste

High praise from such a manager,if i were him I will definetly not let that amazinbg potential go to waste
Yes, but Mancini can't really afford to do that. He can't just say 'give 100% or get out', because he has brought him for £23m and needs him, he is boosting the club reputation as well as the team quality. Mancini will just have to see that he is training properly and encourage, rather than criticise.

I personally believe that Mancini has fair enough grounds for saying this (obviously it would have been better if he had worked with Torres AND Balotelli before saying it). Balotelli appears sulky and although he changed the game quite dramatically when he came on for City something didn't feel right, he seemed sulky, as he did at Inter. It may have been settling in but it seemed the same kind of sulk I had seen at Inter, making me think it's his personality. He obviously thus far has not worked very hard in training. I think from seeing the two he could some day outshine Torres but Torres is not egotistical, works very hard and loves his club (as well as being extremely talented). It's gonna be an interesting next few years.

I agree,his talent is worth much more I feel considering his potential but Mancini would have to manage him carefully....lets hope that we can see the best of him in the Premiere League

erm no, just no. i cant wait for him to come up against ivanovic, 1 hard tackle from him and im sure it will tip him over the edge.

From what I've seen of him, I agree with the above, potential's there, attitude isn't. New league, fresh start. We'll see

"If you train every day with Zanetti and Cambiasso, and don't improve, you have no neurones." - Jose Mourinho.

He's not going to be one of the best in the world.

I think he had a tough time at Inter, he didn't have a good relationship with the fans or the club, he is an amazing talent. I think the banner that said "No Negro will ever be Italian" by Inter fans must have sent him a bit over the edge.

In the right environment though, he could become one the best players in the world.

he strikes me as the type of player who already thinks he is the best and for that reason he doesn't have to try to hard. praise goes straight to his head i reckon.

agree with what Ryan say's above, i reckon he already thinks he's the best, and comments like this won't help...

i'd love to know what Mancini is basing this opinion on though...
balotelli plays one game for Man City, scores, get's booked then goes off injured, (all against sub-standard opposition) whilst Torres has played in this league for 3 years and has one of the best strike rates for this league?
If Balotelli can match Torres' goal scoring feats in the premiership, then maybe he can be better than Torres, we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't really get his point about Balotelli being able to play winger and striker, surely if Mancini is going to play him as a winger, you can't even compare the two players? :/

Has the potential to outshine Torres? Torres was captain of his club at 19 years old and is a model professional who gives 100% to club and country despite his injury problems, that can't be said for Balotelli.

Balotelli still has to prove himself, he is 20 and isn't very well known outside of Italy so £20M+ seems a bit of a punt but I guess Mancini doesn't have a choice, Man City have resigned to signing second rate 'stars' in their attempt to get success.

Reports like this make me laugh, boosting the ego of a player who doesn't deserve it while at the same time dissing a complete footballer, a total professional, a man who Mancini would drop Balotelli for in a heartbeat.

Back