Barcelona may have to leave La Liga

Operative Y

Reaction score
Barcelona could play in the French League in light of possible Catalunya indepedence - Barca Blaugranes

Due to Catalonia trying to gain independence from Spain, Barcelona and Espanyol may be forced to leave La Liga if the referendum passes. This is because the Spanish league system only allows for one foreign team to compete, and that team is the lowly FC Andorra. The article says Barca have petitioned the French, Italian and English FAs with only the French being open to letting them join. Not sure what's happening with Espanyol, as the article features on a site based around Barcelona news.

If Catalonia does gain independence and Barcelona can't get into another league, I'm not sure what would happen in regards to their players.

I can't imagine La Liga wouldn't change their rules to keep one of the biggest teams in the world in their league.

It's one of those wait and see situations. The referendum might not even pass, but if it does I agree with you guys that the Spanish FA will seriously consider changing the rules.

A little part of me wants to see Barca in the French League. PSG vs Barcelona would be a rivalry worth seeing.

But the Spanish Government wouldn't let it happen since they'd loose an absolute fortune in tax income.

It's one of those wait and see situations. The referendum might not even pass, but if it does I agree with you guys that the Spanish FA will seriously consider changing the rules.

the referendum would pass if held, the issue is getting Spain to okay it. Right now, they know Catalonia would vote yes, so they don't want to hold it, as they'll lose a massive part of Spain

Spanish govt will declare any referendum vote illegal so the point is moot.

I was in Barcelona last month on Catalunya day, there is certainly overwhelming desire for independence. Lets say they do manage to secede, there is no way that La Liga will allow itself to become a one club league. They will change any footballing laws necessary to allow the now 'foreign' Barcelona (and less importantly Espanyol) in the Spanish league system.

Last edited:
Hmm, I imagine more important matters will take priority over this if/ when Catalonia vote for independence. And although I'm not an expert in football politics, I can't imagine anything will come of this, Barca are probably just making sure they have a Plan B for the incredibly unlikely scenario of them being expelled, which makes absolutely no sense from a footballing and more importantly, a financial point of view.