Barcelona Youth System Is Moving Away From The Famous La Masia Facility

Jake

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just thought this was an interesting article on a place that has produced the majority of the top 20 players in the world right now imo.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9393966.stm

Barca are set to move their youth system away from La Masia, the house near Camp Nou that has churned out some of the best players in the world over recent years. With La Masia producing 9 of the 14 Barca players involved in the 5-0 win over Madrids 2nd generation of Galacticos recently, it's a wonder other clubs haven't caught on.

Barca are moving their youth system to a brand new facility nearby. Having visited La Masia and witnessed the history that hangs from it's walls, inspiring tommorow's Puyols and Xavis, i can't help but wonder if tinkering with a system that has worked so well is a good idea?

Haven't read the article, but I'd like to add that they also closed their recruitment/training facilities in Argentina as well.

Good read, they really have produced some fine talent, amazing how many of the first team are products of their own youth, yet the other top teams in the world see more sense in spending crazy amounts instead of developing their own talent.

Their monetary issues are still shrouded in secrecy, which imo means they are close to broke, so closing a foreign academy isn't a surprise, it will mean less chance of a future Messi though.

The current crop coming through could be just as exciting as this generation if the article is anything to go by. No mention of allowing Ruben Rochina to move to Blackburn though. Could they have made another Pique/Fabregas type mistake?

Oh, shame. They have produced some wonderful players though, haven't they?

I thought they were re-developing it?

my mistake.

Still going to have the same ideas, coaches etc.

They aren't changing the way they do things with their youth system.

But they are moving away from the facility called La Masia, near Camp Nou, which is built around a historic house to a brand new and modern facility, which is also much larger.

'Physical strength is not important, we are looking for a good thinker.' I assume that's90% of Base members :p

lol jk.

--------------

Jake, do you know why they left?

The article says they have just decided to move to a larger more modern facility to house their youth system, it doesn't really give the reasons.

I'm surprised as La Masia really is a special place to Barcelona, players and fans alike. To move the youth academy from it's historical, spiritual home, to a big, sterile, concrete facility doesn't seem very, well, 'Barca like' does it?

It is not confirmed, although it looks likely that it will be moved. A lot of Barca fans are not happy about it, as it is widely seen as the greatest football academy on the planet.

This really, really surprises me.