Basque-ing In Success - An Athletic Bilbao Story

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score
1574580980222.png

With Home-Grown Talent And Local Support - You Don't Need Foreigners

Above is the motto of Athletic Bilbao, the largest and most successful team from the Basque region in Spain. They have a strict policy of only signing players that hail from the Basque region which makes it all the more remarkable that they have never been relegated from the top division.

My aim in this save is oh so simple - dominate world football with both Athletic and Spain. With Athletic I will have to adhere to the clubs policy in signing players and use the youth academy extensively and hopefully provide the core of a successful national side. So please follow and comment as I make my way in my journey.

--

1574581688939.png

THE CLUB

Founded - 1898
Nickname - Los Leones (The Lions)
Stadium - San Mames
Capacity - 53,289

La Liga Winners (8) - 1929-30, 1930-31, 1933-34, 1935-36, 1942-43, 1955-56, 1982-83, 1983-84

Copa del Rey Winners (23) - 1903, 1904, 1910, 1911, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1921, 1923, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1943, 1944, 1944-45, 1949-50, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1969, 1972-73, 1983-84

Supercopa de Espana Winners (2) - 1984, 2015

Attachments

• 1574581642883.png
    1574581642883.png
    266.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 1574581663881.png
    1574581663881.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 214
1574601279443.png

PRE-SEASON 2019-20

So I arrived at the club and with the knowledge of the first team that I had I didn't have much to do regarding the first team. I listed a couple of players and that was it pretty much. Off the pitch however I had to make some huge changes as my coaching staff from the first time right down to my C side and youths all needed overhauling.

I got rid of over 20 members of staff and recruited many more including Mauro Galvao as my new assistant manager, Edorto Murua as head of youth development and Abel Resino as goalkeeping coach. I have filled all slots and appointed a technical director before realising I had absolutely no idea what he was going to do!

I think all told I spent nearly two hours searching through staff and sorting out the responsibilities and delegations!!

Regarding transfers I actually recouped a fair bit of money.....

--

PLAYERS OUT

Untitled.png

I felt it was right to sell Iago Herrerin as at 31y/o he was never going to get a game and to get such a good fee for him is quite impressive. Balenziaga was sold as he was also over 30 and he was 3rd choice at left back. Kenan Kodro was valued at £8m but he looked pish so off he went too.

--

PLAYERS IN

ivan martinez.png

Ivan Martinez was my first signing. He is only 17y/o but will be my backup keeper and I have high hopes for the player. I plucked him from Osasuna for £1.1m and that should prove to be a bargain.

miguel rodriguez.png

Miguel Rodriguez was brought in from Celta Vigo for £750,000. He is only 16y/o and I think he could break into the first team in years to come or at the very least be a star for the B team.

ansu fati.png
ilaix moriba.png

Now for 2 players I am really excited about. Ansu Fati and Ilaix Moriba joined on loan from Barcelona. As 16y/o Spanish players they now have Basque nationality and I am excited to have them on board. Both will be squad players this season and get some game time.

I also signed a faceless 16y/o from Cultural Leonesa for £120,000 but he isn't worthy of a screenshot lol.

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD
SQUAD.png
SQUAD1.png

In goal and at the back I am happy with the strength and depth especially at centre half where I have 3 top notch players in Inigo Martinez, Yeray and Unai Nunez and that isnt including Mikel San Jose. I am however concerned about the CM area as we are really lacking in depth so youngsters Sancet and Moriba will hopefully bail me out. Peru Nolaskoain unfortunately is out on loan to Deportivo La Coruna.

We are strong on the wings and Raul Garcia is a decent but old AMC while up front I will be relying on the grandaddy of the team - 38y/o Aritz Aduriz. If he doesnt perform then we are in trouble.

--

SEASON EXPECTATIONS

The board want me to qualify for the Europa League and so do I!!! The long term plan is for us to have the best youth system in the country and that is perfect for me. Inigo Martinez complained about us not being in Europe and I promised to let him go if we dont qualify so the heat is on! Our first fixture? A home derby match against our deadliest rivals - Real Sociedad.

Attachments

• ivan martinez.png
    ivan martinez.png
    283.7 KB · Views: 346
  • 1574602302542.png
    1574602302542.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 208
Great start KLIPPYBO! Your stories a few years back is what got me into blogging and wanting to play as Athletic Club this year!

Let’s hope for another Aitor Herrera! ??

1574619591886.png

AUGUST

jhjh.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Ganea), Vesga, Sancet, Williams*, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Gomez), Aduriz (Fati)

What a way to kick start a career!!! To beat our deadliest rivals 2-0 leaves me a very happy man as although it was a tight game we were more clinical than Sociedad who passed up some great chances. Inaki Williams got 2 assists and fully deserved his MOM award. Considering we were without arguably my 3 first picks in CM (Vesga is transfer listed but had to play) this is a fine result.

--

sdsd.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet, Williams (Gomez), Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

16y/o Ansu Fati came off the bench to earn us a point here. Celta didnt name any substitutes it seems - an obvious bug in the game.

--

SUMMARY

Only the 2 games in August so not much to say however we have got off to a good start especially if you take into account our Vasco derby win over Sociedad. Regarding transfers I brought in another faceless youngster so he doesnt deserve a screenshot. Next month we properly begin!

1574626236185.png

SEPTEMBER

898.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray (San Jose), Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet, Williams (De Marcos), Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

I would have happily have taken a point before the game so I am pleased but Raul Garcia had a 2nd half penalty saved so the result could have been even better.

--

999.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa (De Marcos), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet, Williams*, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

HOLD THE BACK PAGE!!!!

My side got a great result here as we beat Real Madrid. They had by far the better chances but Inaki Williams struck twice and Unai Simon kept them out to give us a massive victory.

--

ponbbj.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet (Moriba), Williams, Raul Garcia*, Muniain, Aduriz

We continue our excellent form with a magnificent victory over Mallorca. Raul Garcia was the inspiration as he scored 2 fantastic goals - he first a long range strike and the 2nd a half-volley from just inside the box. Aduriz becomes the clubs oldest ever goalscorer here.

--

111.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet (Benat), Williams*, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz

Winning 5-1 at home to Mallorca is one thing but to follow it up with another 5-1 win away is simply incredible. We were amazing out there and fully deserved the big winning margin. Benat returned from injury here which is a boost

--

222.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Benat), Sancet, Williams (Gomez), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Fati), Aduriz

Given our previous results this is a poor scoreline but we just couldn't break Osasuna, who are a fellow Basque side, down. We had 3 VAR checks for penalties but none were given and we had to settle for a point.

--

SUMMARY

A great month which was near perfect. We won 3 and drew 2 of our 5 games but it was the manner of our wins that impressed me most as we were clinical in our 2-0 win over Real Madrid before thumping both Mallorca and Eibar 5-1 respectively. Scarily however is our league standing as despite being unbeaten we are 6pts off the top and still only 4th despite such strong performances and even beating Real Madrid who are above us.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
INAKI WILLIAMS
williams.png

--

LIGA SANTANDER

456.png

What a result against Real Madrid!! Great to see Sancet getting game time too, he’s still stuck in my B team...

1574679707445.png

OCTOBER

3-1.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Martinez, Yeray, Yuri, Sancet (Dani Garcia), Benat, Gomez (Fati), Raul Garcia, Muniain*, Aduriz (Cordoba)

WOW!! I didn't see this result coming especially when we fell behind but my players fought back magnificently. I mistakenly dropped Dani Garcia but thankfully that didn't prove to be costly.

--

leganes.png

Lineup - Simon*, Capa (De Marcos), Martinez (Nunez), Yeray, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat (Sancet), Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz

Our unbeaten start to the season continues here as we defeat lowly Leganes. We werent at our best however and Unai Simon had to make a few saves late on.

--

espanyol.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Martinez (San Jose), Nunez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat, Williams (Gomez), Unai Lopez, Muniain, Aduriz

The run goes on and I am delighted with this win as we were without a couple of players plus Williams went off injured shortly after putting us in front. Aduriz netted his 3rd of the season - I expected more from him tbh.

--

valencia.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Martinez, Nunez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat (Sancet), Gomez, Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Guruzeta)

The run ends at 10. We huffed and puffed but just couldnt get a goal and Valencia nicked one through ex Arsenal player Coquelin. Barcelona are up next!

--

SUMMARY

Our excellent start to the season continued this month as we won 3 out of our 4 games although we did lose to Valencia. Our result over Atletico Madrid was really impressive and we end the month in 3rd place, 2pts ahead of Atletico Madrid. I am delighted with the way things are going but injuries are beginning to mount up and I do worry that my squad will be stretched to breaking point soon.

My B side are going well though - it is imperative that they get into the 2nd tier ASAP so I can give my youngsters competitive game time at a high level.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
UNAI SIMON
UNAI SIMON.png

--

LIGA SANTANDER
table.png

Wow you are on fire mate! Raul Garcia has been so good for you, what’s the secret? ?

1574698510690.png

NOVEMBER

barcelona.png

Lineup
- Ivan Martinez, Capa*, Nunez, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat (Sancet), De Marcos, Guruzeta, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Villalibre)

I am overjoyed with this result!!!!

I tempted fate in last months summary as Simon, Gomez and Unai Lopez were all added to my injury list for this match plus Fati and Moriba were not allowed to play. I was forced to give Ivan Martinez his debut and he showed up quite well. It was a dull and boring match which suited me down to the ground.

--

alaves.png

Lineup - Ivan Martinez, De Marcos (Lekue), Nunez, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat*, Gomez, Unai Lopez (Guruzeta), Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

Back to winning ways here. Muniain had a goal disallowed moments before he put us ahead. Towards the end Alaves had some great opportunities but Ivan Martinez kept them out to start his career with 2 clean sheets.

--

valladolid.png

Lineup - Ivan Martinez, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat, Gomez (Raul Garcia), Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Guruzeta (Fati)

I am not sure how to judge this game tbh. We were by far the better side and should have won probably but we came back from 2-0 down so I am pleased with that. Valladolid have certainly been over performing and are hanging on our coat tails in the table. We welcomed back Yeray and Raul Garcia back from injury which was a boost.

--

granada.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Ganea, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat, Williams*, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

The scoreline doesn't tell the whole story here. We should have won by 6 or 7 as they had Gonalons sent-off in the 1st minute and Raul Garcia had a penalty saved just a few minutes later. We then bombarded them but to no avail until Inaki Williams popped up with the winner near the death.

--

SUMMARY

We go into December in a healthy position as we are lying 3rd in the league and looking good for a Champions League spot although a title challenge is unlikely even though we have only been defeated once. Several of my players have come back from injury and hopefully we can be a bit more consistent as we dropped a few points during November although I was delighted with the draw against Barcelona!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
INIGO MARTINEZ
MARTINEZ.png

--

LA LIGA
table.png

1574710516663.png

DECEMBER

villarreal.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (De Marcos), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat (Sancet), Williams (Gomez), Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz

Meh. We had enough chances to win the game but squandered them. Cant really complain. Aritz Aduriz got an assist but I need goals from the old man.

--

levante.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (De Marcos), Yeray (Nunez), Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat*, Williams (Gomez), Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz

More dropped points as yet again we flatter to deceive. We had far more shots and possession etc but just couldn't find the winning goal and in truth were lucky to come away with a point as they missed some sitters at the end. At least Aduriz got a goal!

--

betis.png

Lineup - Simon, De Marcos (Lekue), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain*, Aduriz (Fati)

What a game this was and as you can see with the times that the goals were scored it wasn't as comfortable as the scoreline suggests! Muniain was the star of the show as he scored a hat-trick for us plus a goal for them which came from a corner after Unai Simon saved a penalty - it was all happening. Raul Garcia netted twice as we score 5 goals in a game for the 3rd time this season yet ironically it is when it comes to scoring goals that we have a bit of a problem lol.

--

Copa del Rey 1st Round

salamanca.png

Lineup - Ivan Martinez, De Marcos, Nunez, San Jose (Vivian), Lekue, Sancet (Vencedor), Moriba, Gomez*, Unai Lopez, Cordoba (Larrazabal), Fati

Salamanca are in the same division as my B team so even though I played a backup side I expected a comfortable victory but it was not to be as we scraped through largely thanks to my 2 players on loan from Barcelona - Fati and Moriba.

--

SUMMARY

We were unbeaten in December but despite that we find ourselves out of the top 4 which is crazy considering we have only lost the 1 game in the league but it is what it is. I am still happy with the way things are going although I don't imagine us buying anyone in January as quite simply there isn't anyone decent enough out there who is interested - maybe I can strengthen the B team to aid their promotion hopes.

I see that the domestic cup competition has changed and in my mind for the better. I was worried that the competition hadn't loaded for a while lol. We have Lleida Esportiu in the next round.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IKER MUNIAIN
MUNIAIN.png

--

LA LIGA
TABLE 1.png

1574802865297.png

JANUARY

getafe 3-0.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (De Marcos), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Sancet, Moriba, Williams*, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

A fine victory. Williams scored 2 in 2min and then Ansu Fati scored a screamer from 25 yards. Moriba and Sancet impressed in central midfield.

--

Copa del Rey 2nd Round
lleida.png

Lineup
- Ivan Martinez, De Marcos (Lekue), Nunez, San Jose (Vivian), Ganea, Sancet, Moriba*, Gomez, Unai Lopez, Cordoba, Fati (Villalibre)

Much like the previous round - I expected a more convincing victory from my backups but 2-0 is what we had to settle for. Nice to give some of my younger players a run out though.

--

atletico.png

Lineup - Simon, De Marcos, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Lekue), Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams (Gomez), Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

We got our arses handed to us here as we were awful. Benat had a great game somehow but nobody else performed and we were lucky it was only 3. Atletico are now 4pts clear of us in the league.

--

leganes.png

Lineup - Simon, De Marcos (Lekue), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams*, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

What a game this was!!! We went 2-0 down and then surged back to go 3-2 up however we got pegged back and but fortunately Williams completed his hat-trick to win us the game. Leganes weren't done there however as they had a stoppage time equaliser disallowed. I am a bit worried that we have conceded 6 goals in our last 2 games though.

--

Copa del Rey 3rd Round
espanyol.png

Lineup
- Simon, De Marcos, Yeray, Martinez (Nunez), Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia*, Muniain (Fati), Aduriz

We progress into the next round with a victory here. Aduriz got the winner with his 5th goal of the season - he will be released in the summer.

--

osasuna.png

Lineup - Simon, Lekue, Yeray, Nunez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Moriba), Sancet, Williams, Raul Garcia (Cordoba), Muniain*, Aduriz (Fati)

Very impressive as we beat a fellow Basque side. Raul Garcia missed a penalty so it could have been more. Always nice to see my youngsters score and Sancet got his first goal for the club here.

--

Copa del Rey 4th Round
ponferradina.png

Lineup
- Ivan Martinez, De Marcos, Nunez, San Jose (Vivian), Ganea, Sancet (Vencedor), Moriba, Gomez*, Unai Lopez, Cordoba (Guruzeta), Fati

The draw was kind to us yet again and we did the job here but I am disappointed not to have scored more as we raced into an early 3 goal lead.

--

SUMMARY

There was lots going on this month both on and off the pitch! In the league we did lose to Atletico Madrid but bounced back with some victories which sees us end the month in 4th place, a few points clear of Valencia. European football should easily be obtained but at which level I am not sure.

We have progressed in the Copa del Rey and have a semi final against Eibar to look forward to. Barcelona and Atletico Madrid are out so there is a chance of success there.

Regarding the transfer window I sold my midfielder, Vesga, to Sevilla for £1.4m which was a great deal considering he was out of contract in the summer. Several U19, B and C team players were also sold or arranged moves with one young striker going to Arsenal in the summer but he wasn't anywhere near my plans.

I did bring in one player as I paid Osasuna £1.1m for this young CB to help the B team........
herrando.png

Finally the coach I signed from Leeds (forget his name) was poached by Girona to be their manager and we got £1m for him while we have arranged to look into buying the stadium so that is great news. The weirdest transfer of the window? Barcelona signing Aleksandar Mitrovic from Fulham for £31m!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
INAKI WILLIAMS
WILLIAMS.png

--

LA LIGA
table 2.png

Doing really well mate! A striker getting you goals is probably the only thing slightly lacking! As an NUFC fan I find the Mitrovic transfer highly amuzing!

Doing really well mate! A striker getting you goals is probably the only thing slightly lacking! As an NUFC fan I find the Mitrovic transfer highly amuzing!

NUFC fanatic myself - would swap him for Joelinton any day of the week

1575361224830.png

FEBRUARY

espanyol 2-0.png

Lineup
- Simon, De Marcos, Yeray, Martinez (Nunez), Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat*, Williams, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

Another fine win with the highlight being the goal from Oscar De Marcos as he fired in a long range effort to get his 1st of the season.

--

Copa del Rey Quarter-Final
eibar.png

Lineup
- Simon, De Marcos (Capa), Nunez, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams*, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Gomez), Aduriz

We sail into the semis here with a comfortable victory. Dani Garcia got his 1st goal for the club here.

--

getafe 1-1.png

Lineup - Simon, De Marcos (Capa), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat*, Williams (Gomez), Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz

This result is extremely frustrating as we were by far the better team but conceded a late goal to drop 2pts. Having won our last 3 league games I would have expected better.

--

Copa del Rey Semi-Final 1st Leg
betis 3-2.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Ganea (De Marcos), Dani Garcia, Sancet (Moriba), Williams, Unai Lopez, Muniain, Guruzeta (Villalibre)

Real Betis have the advantage going into the 2nd leg and deservedly so as they were dominant throughout and took advantage of us missing some players. That being said I am delighted that we got 2 away goals and the first one was incredible as Iker Muniain ran from inside his own half, beat several players before finishing.

--

sociedad.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (De Marcos), Nunez, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat (Sancet), Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Fati), Aduriz

We got lucky here as once again we weren't at our best and had to hang on when Nunez got sent-off except we didn't and Fati missed 2 one-on-ones in the final minutes which could have won us the match. Still we didn't lose the big derby match and that's the main thing.

--

1-1 celta.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Ganea, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams (Gomez), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Fati), Aduriz

Our 3rd successive draw in the league. Will we pick up or falter towards the end of the season?

--

BETIS 4-3.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Sancet, Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia (Moriba), Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

Goals galore again between ourselves and Betis as we get back to winning ways. Our 3 games against Betis this season have ended up at 5-2, 2-3 and now 4-3 with one more to come.

--

SUMMARY

This month was quite tough as we struggled to put in any decent performances (apart from the last one) and just ambled along we also have a battle to reach the cup final after losing the first leg to Real Betis in the semis. Our dropped points in the league have allowed Valencia to catch up with us while Atletico Madrid & Barcelona have moved further clear so we have a battle on to reach the Champions League but having only lost 3 games all season in both league and cup I am not panicking yet.

Ytouh intake next month (I think lol)

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IKER MUNIAIN
IKER.png

--

LA LIGA
la liga t.png

Attachments

• 1575128752359.png
    1575128752359.png
    241.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
NUFC fanatic myself - would swap him for Joelinton any day of the week

Agreed, As much as he gives us a bit of physical presence up top, he does little else! He is not a £40m player! I would drop him for Carrol when he is fit or even give Gayle a chance up top!

In terms of the save, 2 more goals for the aging Aduriz, Any replacements lined up?

Agreed, As much as he gives us a bit of physical presence up top, he does little else! He is not a £40m player! I would drop him for Carrol when he is fit or even give Gayle a chance up top!

In terms of the save, 2 more goals for the aging Aduriz, Any replacements lined up?

Nope. Praying the youth intake will come up with one or a right winger so I can move Williams up top although apparently I am getting a keeper.

1575408773888.png

MARCH

Copa del Rey Semi-Final 2nd Leg
betis.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Sancet, Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain*, Aduriz

Another crazy match between ourselves and Real Betis as we overturn the 1st leg deficit to reach the final. Inaki Williams scored a screamer but it was Muniain who ran the show. Real Madrid await in the final.

--

levante.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain*, Aduriz (Fati)

I am livid with this result as we throw away a 2 goal lead to drop 2pts. We have now drawn 4 of our last 5 league games which is just not on.

--

granada.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray (Nunez), Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat (Sancet), Williams, Raul Garcia*, Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

A win!!! Raul Garcia missed a first half penalty but he made up for that with 2 assists. Capa had not scored all season and now has 2 in 2!!!

--

villarreal.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams (Unai Lopez), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Guruzeta (Villalibre)

After 9 league games unbeaten we fall to our 3rd league defeat of the campaign here and I don't have much complaints in truth.

--

alaves.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (De Marcos) (Nunez), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia*, Benat, Gomez, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Cordoba), Guruzeta

Guruzeta's first goal for the club gave us a valuable win against one of my predecessor - Mauricio Bielsa.

--

SUMMARY

This was a bang average month with the highlight being the win over Betis to reach the cup final however our draw with Levante and defeat to Villarreal weren't so good! We aren't playing the free flowing attacking football that I prefer but with such an ageing squad it is difficult at the moment.

The youth intake was pretty **** - we got a decent looking keeper which I don't need and an average striker so I will have to go hunting around for other 16y/o players to sign. I did manage to get Oihan Sancet to sign a new long term contract.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IKER MUNIAIN

MUNIAIN.png

--

LA LIGA
table.png

1575792272512.png

APRIL

barcelona.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia (Lekue), Muniain, Aduriz (Guruzeta)

Difficult to say how I feel about this result as we were getting humped (although having Yuri being sent-off didn't help matters) but then scored twice late on, hit the bar and had another penalty shout so we almost somehow rescued a point.

--

valencia.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray*, Martinez, Ganea, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams (Gomez), Raul Garcia (Cordoba), Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

A massive victory and surely the one that secures Champions League football for next season as we go 6pts clear of Valencia with 5 games to play.

--

Copa del Rey Final
cup final.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri*, Dani Garcia, Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia (Sancet), Muniain (Cordoba), Aduriz (Fati)

WE WIN THE COPA DEL REY!!!!!!

What a fantastic achievement as we beat Real Madrid for the 2nd time this season. Hazard missed an early penalty and things were even and then we had an Inigo Martinez goal disallowed but late on we took the lead when Ansu Fati struck to give me my first trophy.

--

valladolid.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Lekue), Dani Garcia, Sancet (Moriba), Gomez, Raul Garcia*, Muniain (Fati), Aduriz

A comeback victory here as Ansu Fati once again made the headlines. After scoring the winner in the cup final he scored the winner here and now has 8 for the season although every single league appearance has been as a sub.

--

madrid 0-2.png

Lineup - Simon, De Marcos (Lekue), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Benat, Gomez, Raul Garcia (Unai Lopez), Muniain, Aduriz (Fati)

Madrid gain revenge from the cup final as they comfortably beat us here. We were missing a couple of players but that is no excuse for the type of performance that we put on.

--

SUMMARY

April was a landmark month as we won the Copa del Rey and with that my first trophy. We beat Real Madrid 1-0 in the final thanks to Fati's late goal and although they went on to beat us in the league we have won twice over them this season which is a surprise. Now that we have won one trophy I expect a trophy every season now as a sign of progression.

We go into the final month of the season a win away from Champions League football and with a trophy under our belts but there are huge changes needed to our ageing squad so big decisions need to be made. My B team are also doing well and are in the battle for the play-offs and they also need a squad overhaul.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
YERAY
YERAY.png

--

LA LIGA
LA LIGA.png