Bath City, a drunken adventure leads to football

MavsWorld

Reaction score
I woke up on a snooker table at the Twerton Park (Bath City Ground) social club with an envelope in my front pocket. The night before was a blur and in an attempt to work out why I was here I opened the envelope and discovered it to be a contract making me the new manager of Bath City. Confused I strolled into the ground and used this contract to blag a free cup of tea and a hotdog from one of the food trailers. They tasted revolting, but brought back memories of the night before.

After finishing a degree in Physics I went back home to visit my family in Bath. Upon getting back I met up with some friends and we went out drinking. There we met Geoff Todd and Jim Relish, the chairman and director of football at Bath City. My friend is a big fan of City and recognised them. He went over to introduce himself and we ended up drinking together. I explained to them how with the credit crunch I could no longer go into banking as the majority of IC Physics graduates do and they told me how it had caused them to have to sack their last manager. It seemed that he was awful at balancing numbers and due to that Bath was in a poor financial state.

In a moment of drunken genius we came up with the perfect solution for all of us. Being a physics student I am good with maths, City needs a manager and I have no job. A contract was written up on the nearest napkin and we all signed. This drunken move may have been the best or worst thing that has happened to City.

[OOC] I'd now like to give a quick explanation as to why I have chosen to play a game managing Bath City. I was born and raised in Bath, they are a Blue Square South side so lowest league I could get and Bath City are pretty awful. In fact their feeder club, the University of Bath team (Team Bath) are also in Blue Square South. It is therefore my goal to take City to the premier league, or at least out of Blue Square.[End of OOC]

My first move after remembering the night before was to reread the contract. I have a weekly wage budget of 4.2k and 1.2k to spend on transfers. We have a feeder club, Team Bath. I am allowed 2 scouts, 1 coach, no limit to assistant managers, 1 physios. We currently have 1 assistant manager, 1 scout, 2 coaches and 2 physios. The coaches and one of the physio are old timer players. I have a full squad of players, a few reserves and squad of youngsters and I can only scout England. We're also over the wage budget by a couple of hundred.

I immediately held interviews with the staff and organised a training session so that I could get a feel for my new club. In the time while my employees gathered I went online and got myself a beginners understanding of tactics and the game. After the interviews and training I realised one important thing, the staff all suck. Unfortunately I can't afford mutual terminations, but most of their contracts run out in a year.

Probably the most annoying members of the staff are the scout and the non player physio. Their contracts end in 2013 and 2011. The scout wouldn't recognise Pele talent if he saw it and I'm sure the Physio is Harold Shipman in disguise. Anyway hopefully next season I'll have enough money to get a mutual termination or I can fob them off to some foolish side.

After looking at the players contracts and seeing them practice I realised things needed to change. Realising you have to spend money to make money, my first move was to ignore their wage budget completely and to sign a decent scout and to get some old ex internationals to sign for me. Looking at the well known players I managed to pick up, Jean Jaques Misse Misse who despite being 40 has 55 caps for camerroon and is at least twice as good as anyone else on the Bath team and only £325pw. My other signing is Zlatko Yankov who has nearly 80 caps for Bulgaria and can play nearly anywhere on the pitch. He's also at least twice as good as anyone else at City and only £200pw. My new scout Michael Birch cheaper and 1.5 times better than my starting scout. I've set both scouts to look for talent throughout England. I've also put in offers for Barry Hunter who I intend to make my coach next year and Nathan Blake who publicy laughs at our proposal. He'll be sorry.

Spurred on by initial success in signing two relatively great players I get a list of players recommended by my scouts. I first apply for Jason Hardy (St/MR) and Harrisson Bailey (MC/DC). Jason Hardy turns out to be a mistake when a few days later my scouts stumble on Michael Nardiello who is as good as Misse Misse and they believed would accept a full time contract for only £30 a week. I signed Hardy as a full time player for only £30 a week. After camping out on the football pitch I've let him have a room at my parents house with me. I also demanded a parent club from the board.

After getting Misse Misse, Yankov, Hardy and Bailey my first match came around. Unfortunately lots of teams picked up on Hunter and Nardiello and a bidding war commenced so I gave up on Hunter and Nardiello hadn't accepted yet. The first match was a 5-3 away win against Northwood. We were expected to win against them so it was no big surprise. I played with aggressive tactics and Misse Misse who I've set up as a target man and support forward had a good opening game scoring twice and assisting my other forward Gilroy, in getting a hatrick.

To congratulate me for our first win the board offerred me a choice of Wolves, Bristol City and some Coca Cola League 2 side. As a Bristol Rovers fan I could not choose Bristol City so I chose wolves who immediately offerred me Mark Salmon on loan. As another player at least twice as good as anyone on my squad I immediately accepted and awaited his reply.

While I waited our next match came up against Nuneaton Town, another team below our division. We trounced the 5-1 this time as my players got more used to playing together. I also discovered Robert Cavener (DR) and Robert Duggan (GK). I also put in bids for some other players which I failed to get.Even though my bids for Cavener and Duggan were low £80 and £30 I was intent on getting Nardiello and had put his offer upto £300pw. This would bring me over 1k above my limit pw. I therefore offerred 3 midfielders, a striker, my first team goalie and a defender to other clubs for no transfer fee, with the assumption that over the year I would save more than that by getting rid of them now; all of these players were drawing between £250 and £400 pw. The only one of them clubs weren't interested in was the goalkeeper, who is not only really awful, but also quite old.

Meanwhile my next match came along. This time against Crawley Town from the Blue Square Premiere. With a few wins under my belt I was quietly confident going into this match. That was a mistake and they beat us 2-0. This was predicted though and the fans didn't seem to mind too much.

2 days later we would thrash Eastwood town 4-1. A good confidence boost for the squad, despite Eastwood being in a lower division. We were also rewarded finally with the addition of Nardiello for £325pw and Salmon decided to join us from Wolves on loan.

A week later and with 2 more welcome additions to my squad (Cavener and Duggan coming one day before), we played Lewes another Blue Square Premier side. Even though we were predicted to lose superior tactics and a bit of luck let us win 3-2.

After telling my scouts to go look for some young potential we came to our last friendly, this time against Harrow Borough, and team in a lower division. This was an easy 2-0 win. The last of the players I put on the transfer list also left putting me £200pw below budget. I used these wages to sign 3 Irish midfielders, Noone, Fitzgerald and Marshall. We then got to the first match of the season and after a good press conference we went into the match confident.

The match was away to Worcester and though the favourite according to the bookies were Worcester, the prematch prediction was for us to scrape a win, which we did 1-0. This I thought was a rather shakey start to our campaign as with our new squad we are predicted 4th Worcester are predicted 14th. However my squad haven't had much experience playing together. In fact my starting line up consisted of a few of my weaker players as my newest players have not had time to practice with the team and I wanted a win. I am now about to go into the second match of the season against Bishops Stortford, another midtable team.

Though I am confident and have told the board and media I believe we can win the division or get promoted through playoffs we still have some problems to fix. I have useless staff, my team still have a ways to go when it comes to gelling together, a few of my young players (Nardiello in particular who is expected to far surpass Misse Misse) have great potential which could be wasted with out poor coaches, and finally the captain isn't good enough to play. Logically I would change the captain, but he's also one of the coaches, the team still need to gel and he's been captain for a long time and there are enough old team members that demoting him will annoy them. On the plus I am now beneath the recommended wages per week and I have not spent any of my transfer money. I was also thinking about getting a second assistant manager.

This is my story so far. Any advice on what you would do about my current problems would be appreciated. I'd also like to mention that I'm following similar rules to the guy playing Bognor Regis, so please don't tell me any player/staff names. I've set my players who can to Tugs and I've made my own part time versions for the rest of my players.

I was also thinking that maybe I should try to loan out Nardiello to Wolves or some other big club so he can get some decent training. I have too many forwards, so even though he's my best he's only 19 and he apparently has the potential to be a coca cola league 2/championship player. Therefore I think I'll want to keep him for at least 2/3 seasons.

Last edited:
Brilliant :D

To speed up gelling, try to keep a settled XI for the first half of the season although injuries, suspensions and fitness will make that impossible to do all the time. Some quality lower league signings there so I think you should be able to push on really well. Good luck :)

Firstly thanks for the advice. I've actually been using your thread on Bognor as a reference for ideas. I've kept roughly the same squad throughout and they appear to have gelled nicely. Unfortuntely a few injuries have screwed this up a bit, but I'll mention them later. I've also completely reshaped my squad, there are only 2 regulars who are original members of my team. Also a couple of subs. I really want to get rid of the original goalie, but no-one wants to buy him even if I make him a free transfer.

Anyway I've played quite a lot of matches since my first post so I'm not going to put all the results, I will however comment on some of the more important matches. Overall my team are yet to lose a match (19 win spree since the start of season) and we have just started november.

Anyway since I left off I have refined our tactics and signed a fast defender Duane Grace. The team now plays a fast temp game aiming to either send long balls for the strikers to run onto or to send the ball along the flanks. This is our regular tactic, but I also have a counter attack tactic aimed at tiring out the opponents then sending long balls for the strikers to pick up.

Thes season kicked off well with quite a few easy wins against mid/weak teams. This was good as it let the lads get their morale up and Michael Nardillo was scoring 1/2 goals a game and assisting many more. Then disaster struck, in a match against St.Albans they committed 40 fouls and in doing so injured Salmon taking him out for 3-5 months. Luckily I got Salmon on a free loan so I wouldn't have to pay while he healed, but it was still very irritating losing probably my best player the game before the first conference cup match. This was also the start of the AIs new tactic against my team.

I used Salmon's injury to fire up my players, telling them they needed to stay in the Conference cup for his return, and it seemed to work as we crushed Welling 6-1, which is our best result all season. The board have however used this as an excuse to take an even greater dislike to Salmon who they misguidedly believe is a waste of club money. This may explain Bath's state of affairs before I took over as I haven't payed anything to do with Salmon and he's also statwise way better than any of my other players.

Anyway the season carried on and word seemed to have got round that as Bath were winning everything taking out their players would be a good idea. For the next month my players picked up a whole string of injuries, but luckily nothing serious. Then disaster struck again and this time in double format. In my first FA cup qualifying match against Workington the frustration got to them and they hacked down both Nardiello and Dean Marshall. With Nardiello who was at this point both my main scorer and had most assists I was worried for my attack. Our next match was against Braintree who were and still are in second place in BSS.

Without my best striker the match was nearly a stalemate, but ten minutes from the end Misse Missescored a brilliant long range shot from well outside the box. With this win Bath moved to a 5 point gap at the top of the table. The next game was very similar, winning with only 1 goal from Misse Misse.

We then reached an interesting week. We had drawn Havant and Waterlooville in both the conference cup and the FA cup qualifier and they were three days apart. I had to take a few of my low stamina players off training for the week as we had three matches in seven days. In the first match H&W went all out and managed to hold the scores to 0-0 at half time. Then within the first ten minutes after halftime Fitgerald scored. Feeling pretty confident I decided to try out the new version of our defensive tactic. The players however weren't comfortable, and despite having 5 players in defence they let H&W pull level. The game went into extra time and once again we pulled ahead, but H&W drew level, then 5 minutes into the second half of extra time we finally managed to score and hold oit for the win.

Three days later we returned to Westleigh park. I realised during warmup that many of the H&W players seemed tired. The H&W manager hadn't rested his players since the previous match and a plan came into my mind. I reordered my players into the defensive formation and let H&W tire themselves out, then at the 60 minute mark and with no goals scored I changed the formation back to the usual fast temp attacking game. With H&W now very worn out the last 30 minutes saw an intense attack from my players. Finally they were rewarded with a goal.

The next match was a local derby against Team Bath which we won easily, and the spectators were delighted with. A few days later the Physios declared that Nardiello was fit and I brought him on 20 minutes from the end of our next league match against Chelmsford where he set up Misse Misse with the winner. With his return I was confident going into our FA Cup last round qualifier against Weymouth. The lads seemed excited and we won 2-0. Nardiello however doesn't seem to have completely recovered as he didn't play as big a role in the match as I was hoping. Duane Grace however played a fantastic match keeping the fast strikers out of the game. With the match won we are through to the first round of the FA cup where we drew Braintree.

Next match we were against Fisher, which should have been an easy match, but they would not let us score and Nardiello still seemed to be adjusting to the squad. Misse Misse managed to score eventually, but Cavener my fast right defender got taken out for half a month and Fitzgerald took a serious knock.

So going into my latest match I was worried. Even after removing Fitzgerald from training he wasn't in top condition, and due to losing my backup left midfielder to injury my only other option was Evans who is probably not even half as good. Not only this, but I am pitted against Salisbury who appear very strong and have quite a few high league loan players. With Nardiello still not playing at his best I decided to reuse the tactic that got me to the FA cup.

I put on 3 weaker attacking players and for 70 minutes we played the slow defensive game and only conceded one goal. At half time I gave the lads what I believe is my best teamtalk ever and they went on back onto the pitch on fire. After putting a lot of pressure on the opposition defence we finally drew level when one of their defenders passed it past his own keeper into his own net. A through ball to Misse Misse nearly took us ahead, but it was a fraction too far to the left and hit the inside of the post and the keeper caught it on its return. 5 minutes later though he made up for it and scored a 1on1 with the keeper. This however wasn't enough to beat salisbury and they pulled level. Unfortunately for Salisbury however my tactic finally payed off. It was my opinion that in 90 minutes the best we could do would be to hold them level. At the 70 minute mark I changed to my attacking formation and replaced my reserve left and right midfielders with my first team equivalents and replaced my 5th defender with my best offensive midfielder. As we entered extra time the opponents stamina finally failed them and they didn't look like the could win. 30 minutes of continual attack by the Bath attacking players and Nardiello scored his first goal in 3 matches to win it, hopefully a sign of things to come. After the match My left defender Sloscombe told the press that the match was won by my half time teamtalk. Unfortunately for him nice words aren't going to save him as I intend to relegate him to reserves and get a better replacement. I'd also like to give special praise to Duane Grace who kept their really fast forward Paris Cowan-Hall completely out of the game and saved us countless times.

My next match is against Braintree in the FA cup first round which should be reasonably easy compared to the last. I've now got a lot of prize money, so I'm hoping the board will increase my wage budget during the christmas transfer window as I've seen a few players I want. I am pretty sure we'll win the BSS and get promoted, I am hoping to be drawn against another weak side in the FA Cup after Braintree and to do reasonably well in the Conference cup/FA trophy. Most importantly though is for Michael Nardiello to get back on form as he isn't looking anywhere near as deadly.

Does anyone have advice on how to blend players back into the squad after injury or will just playing matches do this? I'm also wondering if anyone can give me advice on set pieces. Noone has high on free kicks and corners, but I've only scored from one freekick and one corner in my whole league carreer. Nardiello has great jump and heading ability so if anyone can point me towards a topic or resource on set pieces it would be very useful.

when blending players back into the team after injury there are a few techniques. if the player is a key player and had been injured for a short time, 2-3 weeks max then just plonk him straight back in he will settle in instantly and the other players will be buoyed by having one of their better teammates back. if its a lesser player or one hwos been out for a while then i suggest using them from the bench after 60-70mins for 4-5 games befoer giving them a starting berth. this is especially true if your results/performances have been good during their injury. younger players/players with poorer mental stats often take longer to settle and regain form. so unless it was a minor injury or its your best player and the biggest match of the season is coming up, re-introduce your players gradually for best results.