Battling qualities delight Wenger

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is happy with his team's fightback despite a 2-2 draw at West Brom, leaving them five points behind leaders Manchester United.

More...

Shouldnt of needed a fightback.. Its not only West Brom, but WOY! xD

We wouldn't have needed to fightback if certain players did their job

and the result delights Ferguson.

Arsenal should have won the game and although they came back from 2 goals down to draw, the result was not good enough for a team challenging for the title.

I wouldn't say we should of won easily.

West Brom are a team fighting to stay up, they were never just going to roll over for us.

Agreed, but don't you think we should be dominating teams fighting for survival if we're going to be crowned champions? Those are usually the signs of champions.......

we need a defensive coach or something someone who can help organize the defense

I would love a Back 5 of

Given
Sagna --- Cahill --- Roger Johnson ---- Vermaelen​

Unrealistic i know but that is a solid back 5

WOY DID IT GREAT! xD

Sorry, but i hate RH. Had hoped for an major *** whooping by Arsenal.

we need a defensive coach or something someone who can help organize the defense

I would love a Back 5 of

Given
Sagna --- Cahill --- Roger Johnson ---- Vermaelen​

Unrealistic i know but that is a solid back 5

XD Lol we have a great keeper in Szczesny why buy a 35 yr old man city backup.
Vermaelen is not a left back
Dojo and Koscienly are good together
Whats Happened to Clichy
and lastly we have great younger cb's in Bartley and Miquel

Whats Happened to Clichy

If they are so great why don't you play them instead of Squillaci

Whats Happened to Clichy

Because he is a better keeper than Szczesny who should still be a back up i am sure Given would have taken control of the situation in the CC Final who cares about age it about if they can do the job

Vermaelen can play there he played there in his first couple of games for us and who needs 5'6 defenders who can't defend properly Thomas has the pace and stregth to deal with most wingers

Dojo and Koscienly are good together but i would rather have solid english pair who in my opinion would happily get in to my side

Clichy is poor IMO his positiong has cost us many times e.g. are 1-0 lose to Man utd couls and should have stopped it

Bartley and Miquel are still young and need time to develop

Most arsenal Fans complain about are defense but yet we play 20 year old kids in goal he is good but not championship quality which is what we are aiming for

Can everybody stop saying we shouldnt of needed a comeback!!! Can't we just marvel in our teams willingness to fight back with the gut of champoions and hail them for not giviong up!!!

Can everybody stop saying we shouldnt of needed a comeback!!! Can't we just marvel in our teams willingness to fight back with the gut of champoions and hail them for not giviong up!!!

Yes please, let's instead focus on why Man Utd are such an excellent team because they play for 90 minutes and never give up even when they're not playing well and why because Arsenal came from 2-0 down, Wenger should be sacked. (H)

Sorry, Djourou is quality but Koscielny is shockingly bad, they don't work well together, Djourou saves his *** all the time.

Sorry, Djourou is quality but Koscielny is shockingly bad, they don't work well together, Djourou saves his *** all the time.

That's not true at all:

Arsenal's win percentage with @JohanDjourou starting this season in the Premier League is 79%, without him 40%.

Arsenal's win percentage with Alex Song starting this season in the Premier League is 71%, without him 0%.

Clearly, both of those players are particularly important but Koscielny doesn't need his *** saved by Djourou all the time - Djourou has said before that they're the perfect (modern) partnership, while he brings height and strength, Koscielny has pace and likes to get tight to his man.

They both cover for one another all the time - it works both ways, but Arsenal's win percentage with Sebastian Squillaci starting this season in the Premier League is 53%, without him 67%.

Clearly Squillaci is the weak-link, and doesn't fit into Arsenal's system at all - we play a high line which he can't cope with because he lacks pace, while he isn't good enough in the air to be part of a deep line.

That's why he and Koscielny don't work - because Koscielny wants to get tight, but doesn't trust SS to cover for him.

When Arsenal don't play well at the back, the majority of the time it's because Song, Djourou or Koscielny aren't playing (or Almunia is).

Together, Djourou and Koscielny have only conceded 0.66 goals/game, while the stats about Song speak for themselves, compared to Denilson:

Arsenal's win percentage with Denilson starting this season in the Premier League is 33%, without him 65%.

Stats courtesy of @Orbinho

Oh and also: Not only did Koscielny have the highest pass accuracy yesterday, he had a 100% tackling (5 out of 5) and clearance (4 out of 4) rate.

Last edited:
If they are so great why don't you play them instead of Squillaci
Bartley is on loan at Rangers and I'm guessing Wenger is preferring the experience of Squillaci over Miquel who has only played a handful of FA Cup and Carling Cup matches.

Back