BBC 606 To Close, Online Budget Slashed

Cal.

≡
Reaction score
Thought this might be of interest to some of the users here. I've been a 606 lurker/user for years due to the quality of the Newcastle board there (apart from when it's overrun by trolls), and think it's a shame that it's been so badly run/moderated by the BBC, and now they're just killing it off altogether.

A selection of quotes from the blog post explaining the changes is below.

You may have seen already that the BBC has today announced a new strategy for BBC Online. If not you can read more about it here. As part of this, we are cutting the BBC's online budget by 25%...

* The 606 website will close at the end of the current football season ... It is worth stressing that the 606 radio show on 5 Live will continue...

* The on-demand sports news video bulletin will go - video is a central part of our site, but we know the bulk of traffic goes to on-demand clips around stories and streams of live events...

* The Sport Academy website will close - coverage of participation in sports will instead be incorporated within the individual sections of the Sport site;

* There will be less coverage of those sports and events that fall outside our main editorial priorities. This does not mean we will stop covering them altogether, it's more a question of "turning down the volume" of what we do outside the biggest stories;

* And in general we will continue the move to increasingly focus on core coverage of sports journalism and events - a process that has already begun with the closure of the Fun & Games section of the site last summer.

Obviously this announcement represents significant changes for the BBC Sport website - as you would expect, given that the whole of BBC Online is losing 25% of its budget. And we don't under-estimate the impact that they will have on some of our audience.

For anyone who did/does use 606 and wants a replacement forum with mostly the same users; not606.com

A shame, but 606 is filled with morons so I don't go on it too much.

Edited my previous post, there is a League Two section, just found it!

Enjoyed reading 606 a lot but the moderating was pretty ****. Sooo many trolls on the Leeds board :S And we're not famous anymore eh? :p

I never listen live but i do download the podcasts with Chappers, Fletcher and Savage on Saturdays and Alan Green(although i hate the ******* scouser) on Sundays. So i will miss listening to them.

I never listen live but i do download the podcasts with Chappers, Fletcher and Savage on Saturdays and Alan Green(although i hate the ******* scouser) on Sundays. So i will miss listening to them.

its the online forum not the radio phone in :)