BBC vs ITV World cup coverage

Dobcheev

Reaction score
In my opinion, the BBC's WC 2010 coverage is superior to ITV's because:

• Lack of ADVERTISING BREAKS
  • Lack of CLIVE TYLDESLEY
Does anyone actually bother tuning in to ITV's match coverage before kick-off time ?
I can't help thinking that the ITV programmers look upon the 'expert' pundits views as barely-tolerable interuptions to their much more important 'messages from the sponsors'.

The half-time intervals are of paricular annoyance: how can you have a usefull analysis of the preceding 45 mins play when the 15 minute break consists of 5 mins of footy discussion & 10 mins of tv adds ? The BBC scores heavily here, even if Jocky Hansen & co waste a good bit of HT trying to prove how funny they are - a lot of good sense actually gets talked.

Clive, Clive, Clive - is there a more annoying football commentator at large in the UK ? This thinly-veiled manc supporter's verbal delivery has all the tonal qualities of a cat being slowly strangled with extreme predjudice. OK, the Beeb has the handicap of Lawro's 'witty' bon mots,
but at least he shuts up now & then. Yes, I am aware CT's only doing his job, but the question occurs to me - why in Motty's name does he have to do it in Britain ? ( no, I'm not a huge fan of his ). They'd love him in the USA, I fancy.

Any views would be welcome but keep it clean. (H)

Bbc seem to run out of ideas, they seem to talk about England without analysing some of the games. Breaks are not such a bad thing as it gives me time to get something to eat etc..

BBC is far better, for the reasons you mentioned, can understand the pundits, no 'comedy' sections, no Shrek with Down's, and the online player is a lot better.

ITV lose because they have adrain chiles, god i hate him. now i can go back to watching match of the day 2 without muting it

adrain chiles :wub:, the bbc are better by far but chies is starting to close that gap

I prefer all the BBC analysis, but I've developed a strange fetish for Peter Drury and Jim Beglin's commentary.... ;)

BBC are just about better.

BBC:
Pros: No ad breaks. Some OK pundits.
Cons: Adebayor. Not enough analysis.

ITV:
Pros: Good analysis.
Cons: Ad breaks, Tyldesley, Southgate.

BBC by far, but i dont mind Adrian Chiles that much anymore..

BBC by miles. For many reasons including the picture quality and Adrian Chiles... Dont even no why ITV are bothering to show the final as surely everyone will watch it on BBC? ;)

I Would say BBC because of the pundits and the no ad breaks but i f*****g hate John Motson he blaggs my head and its funny to laugh at thepundits when they try to be funny around Harry Redknapp. Also its funny to laugh at Alan Shearer who has no personality at all!!

Last edited:
Well im going to leave ad breaks out of this because yes ad breaks are annoying but paying the BBC £145 a year for a TV licence is even more annoying.

That said i still think the BBC has had the best coverage. ITV couldn't even be arsed getting a replacement co commentator last night when Beglin took ill. We had to listen to Tyldesley wittering on without anything to break it up.

Last edited:
Who has Jon Champion? Because he rivals Tyldesley, with how much of a ******* he is. This WC he has spouted such lines as "well so much for the Japanese and their control of the Jabulani" after a Japan player hit a ball 6 inches away from being the perfect penalty, and "Fabio Cannavaro, your career is terminated" after Italy were knocked out of the compeition.

To add to what JP said, ITV also had an issue on their HD channel where a lot of footage was lost with a premature advert break.

Am I the only one that thought the picture quality on ITV HD wasnt as good as BBC HD?

RTE>ITV>BBC

BBC in my opinion is the least enjoyable if they have Mick McCarthy commentating. No personality.
ITV is pretty decent and Adrian Chiles is a beast.
RTE is much more funny imo, they lighten up the show for me.

Who has Jon Champion? Because he rivals Tyldesley, with how much of a ******* he is. This WC he has spouted such lines as "well so much for the Japanese and their control of the Jabulani" after a Japan player hit a ball 6 inches away from being the perfect penalty, and "Fabio Cannavaro, your career is terminated" after Italy were knocked out of the compeition.

Jon Champion is on ESPN