TaylorFM

Reaction score
View attachment 65117

'Oh I do like to be beside the seaside...'

Welcome to my story 'Beside The Seaside' with National South side Concord Rangers. I have been blogging recently and have completed the first season with Barnsley on this blog, which made me realise how much I enjoy writing. At the same time as blogging, I had been reading a lot of FM content, in which included some of the stories on this site. A few stories grabbed my attention straight away and I have been reading them with great interest and so it tempted me to write my own again.

Now, you may be thinking 'Again? This is his first post on the forum?' Well this is my first post under this alias. I decided that I wanted to make all my FM content under the same name, this resulted in me creating a new account in order to do this under my blogging/Twitter account name of 'TaylorFM,' very original I know.

With the introduction out of the way, you may be wondering what has tempted me to the club based in Canvey Island. I have always been an avid fan of lower-league football, this may be due to the fact I support my local club Barrow who play in the National League, but I have always preferred the lower leagues to the top flight. At the same time, I dislike managing Barrow as I have attachments to certain players and I can't bare seeing so much change at the club.

So, I decided I would either start in the National North or National South. I'm a proper Northerner and therefore, adore the North. I always look to the North for my FM saves and so I decided it was time for a change and chose a team plying their trade in the National South. From there, I narrowed eight options to three and three to one. One thing I like to do is choose teams that don't really seem to get the spotlight, so this took me away from teams such as Whitehawk, that many people have played with before.

Concord was the side I chose due to their mediocrity. The club have never played at a higher division than the Conference South since their formation in 1967, which also means I will be managing the club on their 50th anniversary as a football club. Gaining promotion from the Bostik Premier League, then known as the Isthmian Premier League in the 2012/13 season, Rangers have since gone on to record 9th, 7th and 10th placed finishes, before a poor finish of 17th last season. The club play in a bright yellow home shirt, which is very fitting to the geographical location of the club, something else that appealed to me.

Nicknamed 'The Beach Boys' you really can't hate them, can you?

The Squad

9335810da07e862a422762f98e83b12a.png

Upon arrival, the squad is very small. However, this is to be expected at a level such as this. I will be looking to add depth to the team and also improve it at the same time, as we lack quality in certain areas, especially in the back four. This certainly won't be an easy task as we have a very small budget, much smaller than a large majority of the league and taking into account our location geographically, we are at a real disadvantage.

4e732f698748095125329b2926a729d7.png

One player to look out for this campaign will be young striker Danny Parish. The 18-year-old was released by Sky Bet Championship side Brentford in the Summer and has turned to us as he looks to impress once again. He certainly has the ability to be a key man this season and also has bags of potential to be realised too. Playing against Bayern Munich's youth side just twelve months ago, it does show the class he has in his locker once he finds his feet.

fa2e64f2ebd3fcd2df39f4f47be0662b.png

Another player that will be vital this season is midfielder Harry Lee, who joined on a free this season after leaving Braintree Town after relegation to this level. At just 22, he again has potential to grow but has already got the skills to become a strong part to our midfield. Making 33 appearances for his former employees in the National League last season, he could be someone that will grow with the team.

Thames Road, or now know as The Aspect Arena, holds a total of 3,250 with 375 of that capacity being seated. The ground opened in 1985 and is rather basic, which is expected at this sort of level. Rather annoyingly for away fans, the ground is literally situated in the middle of nowhere - maybe we could use this to our advantage... somehow? Interestingly, the ground has four modern floodlights which, instead of having a floodlight located on each side of the ground, can be found in a pair on the two ends of the ground.

The finances are reasonably stable, however quite low in terms of budget. We will be limited to signing players to non-contract most likely, this is again expected at this level but the fewer players you can keep on this type of contract the better, as you're always risking losing players. Even at this level, finances can be a huge issue.

Last edited:
I was unsure how I would present this as it has been a fairly active Summer from us. However, I thought the best thing to do was post it in this style, presenting both the pre-season results and also running through any other matters all in a single post. So without further ado, let's go over our preparation for the upcoming Vanarama National South campaign.

9d5c08bac2289268fa8e23068d59f1cf.png

We begin with pre-season, one where we would face four lower league outfits to prepare for the season. I will hold my hands up and admit that I did not manage any of these fixtures, as I was too busy trying to bring in new faces within a limited amount of time. But, it was a fairly routine one for the team as we recorded three wins and a solitary draw to Merstham. I did expect these kind of results, however looking into the stats we looked solid and team cohesion didn't seem to be an issue, despite the number of new faces coming into the side.

Stepping aside from the in-game stuff for a second, I will be presenting the games a little differently to this over the season. Instead, I will be doing a monthly review and running through each game and result with a brief overview of the game to boot.

Moving on, as mentioned we were quite active within the transfer window. Bringing in six new faces to the team and seeing three players leave the club. I will begin with the outs firstly, Tom Ranger is the only player to leave the club permanently this season. The 22-year-old winger was never looking like breaking into the squad this season and with him being one of a few players on a non-contract, he used this to find a new club in Soham - who are plying their trade in the Ryman League Division One North.

Midfielders Sam Carter and Finley Dopson both left the club on loan, joining Shoreham and Melksham respectively. At just 18 and 17 years of age, the duo are both looking to develop out on loan at lower-tier clubs in order to grow and could potentially find themselves in the first team squad in the future.

29a528ba6794883d46764e191962221b.png

The first arrival to the Aspect Arena was Nigerian winger Nosa Iyamu. After being released by Birmingham at the end of last season, the 18-year-old is looking to find his feet once again at the club. With a tremendous amount of creativity at his disposal, he will be someone to watch this season.

a7a1dcdaf16aac7a3c9c23dc046974b1.png
358448e6a75d7dba1b2fc59969725588.png

The heart of the defence was strengthened with the arrival of Kofi Boateng and Curtis Langton. Boateng joins after his release from Norwich, whereas Langton joins from Crystal Palace after a couple of appearances at Welsh side Rhyl last season. Both are young options at 19 and 21 years of age but have the ability to be a solid partnership at the back this season, something that has been an issue in previous years for the Beach Boys.

897370f904944ca1a1125b6022a64290.png

Experience was brought into the squad in the signing of Osei Sankofa, after a spell at Dulwich Hamlet followed previous seasons at the likes of Whitehawk, Ebbsfleet and Eastleigh. The full-back has made over 200 appearances since coming through the Charlton Athletic academy and is very familiar with this division, having played with six different clubs and making over 100 appearances, collectively. Now at 32, he still has what it takes to be an option here.

e6f48bad95a7d3eac45f7f163f6f6efc.png

On the other side of the defence we brought in Harry Stratton. He left MK Dons in the Summer and will be, more than likely, the man to start on the left-side of the defence. Again, at 18 he has the potential to grow and makes up a squad that is well balanced in terms of experience and potential.

390a9988f5243cc59dbe50097fceab75.png

Finally we concluded our business, for now, with the arrival of Austin Lipman. The young forward left Arsenal in 2015 to join VCD Athletic in the Ryman Premier after two loan spells at then-Vanarama South side Boreham Wood, making 33 appearances and scoring seven goals. Although he will be a rotation option, he has the ability to chip in when needed.

Last edited:
1148805d1519413022-beaside-seaside-concord-rangers-concord-new-badge-600x400-600x360.png

August Review 2017/18

'Finding our feet in the league.'

aa5482f6ae2fb2b17b5689fa076050dd.png

To address the opening month on the whole, I am relatively pleased. We've collected 12 points from a possible of 21 and for a club predicted to finish the season in mid-table, it's a very solid start. Trying to bed in new faces has been something we've been working on and the final few results of the month show that as we continue to gel, the results are improving. It's taken time to adapt to things but I believe we've got there and hopefully, we can now continue to move in a positive direction from here.

Matchday 1:

1b3dfd70b89a41f6917da9d9a6d21148.png

I was very disappointed to lose this game due to an early goal from winger Matty Whichelow. Other than the goal, Wealdstone posed no threat and we had several chances to both equalise and win the game however we didn't take them. We only had ourselves to blame for this opening day defeat, but there were positives to take.

Matchday 2:

475ef6f3f0477fba66da37c98931a10a.png

Again we narrowly fell to a defeat and it was a similar story to the previous game. They scored through a brilliant free-kick from long-range and beside that looked average. We had a few chances but once again didn't take them which was a concern, not scoring a single goal from our opening two left question marks, with Femi Akinwande sidelined for three months with a torn hamstring also.

Matchday 3:

6546ab3a17f779ca1a563d5d72787ee0.png

Any questions were then answered in our first win of the season at home to Truro. Not scoring a single goal going into this game, we came out of this scoring three - quite ironic if you ask me. We looked in control for the majority of the game and deserved the points.

Matchday 4:

f124636f667c8c151fa9a8d806ecfaf6.png

After the Truro win, I was looking to continue on that victory against Dartford. However, we were comfortably dispatched off by one of the favourites for the league title this season. I did feel the result was a little harsh on us, given two of their goals were also quite controversial - however we weren't good enough on the day and rightfully left with nothing to show.

Matchday 5:

b5b488ba051bea0ed41ade69e49f9319.png

After the heavy defeat to Dartford, I wasn't too optimistic going into the game against another title-challenger in Whitehawk. However, a quick fire Parish double was enough to sink the Hawks despite a goal from the spot with just under 20 minutes to go. It goes to show that in this league, anyone can beat anyone and that it is truly unpredictable.

Matchday 6:

9a392aaed978754942dbcbf870b2fcbf.png

Danny Parish was very much the man who ran the show away to St Albans. Similar to the Truro game, we looked in control for the majority of the game and took our chances. Parish was unlucky not to have scored more in a top-class performance from the young forward. The goalscoring problems seemed to have been resolved.

Matchday 7:

d5e5481ece67d1553fd8f21ec45cc0bb.png

We rounded the month off in style! A narrow victory against a Chelmsford who again, have a strong chance of being among the sides at the top of the table, meant we took the three points. Danny Parish scoring twice to take his tally to nine in just seven games this season.

Vanarama National South Table:

99d86268d1205369b5f871c4ecdbf3d2.png

We sit just outside the playoffs at the end of the month. A very good start on the whole, something we can definitely progress from is the way I view it. It's easy to think that after a few wins that we can push on and look to move into the playoffs, but realistically, we need to just take things one game at a time and see where we end up. A mid-table finish is the expectation, so anything above the 15th place mark is a bonus at this moment in time.

Player Of The Month:

Danny Parish

4e732f698748095125329b2926a729d7.png

Unsurprisingly, the man to win the first 'Player Of The Month' award, which is an award I give at the end of each month, is Danny Parish. Scoring nine goals in seven games, Parish is leading the way in the goalscoring charts at this moment in time and is attracting a lot of praise. Hopefully he will be able to continue on this fantastic start to the season.

September Preview:

541ea9f63a49c7b8f1404d924257d9f1.png

Next month sees us play five league fixtures and also kick off our FA Cup campaign in the Second Qualifying Round. We will find out our opponents in due course, but hopefully we will be able to mount somewhat of a cup run to help increase finances. A cup run is very beneficial to a club at this level as it can set them up for years to come.

Hungerford and Ebbsfleet are perhaps games we should view as a chance to pick up points, with the two clubs sitting in 15th and 18th position. Bath will be a challenge as they unbeaten and sit top of the table, with six wins and one draw. Finally, Braintree and Hampton & Richmond will conclude the month, with recently relegated Braintree occupying 17th and the latter sitting in 2nd.

Last edited:
8b2889275d8fa34a69b64661a5111ca4.png

September Review 2017/18

'An almost perfect month.'

15a775799f3cd7a8c39511a538bb75fd.png

September proved to be a remarkable month as we continued on our run at the end of August. We managed a total of ten points from a possible 15, which is a success in my view. We are overachieving at this moment in time and I would like to put this down due to the consistent squad we have nailed down in the first two months of the season.

Matchday 8:

9a083a48e731ecf154b05f7bce3cb5c1.png

Jesus! This was a frustrating game to say the least, as we were unable to take the few chances we were given by a Hungerford side that seemed content on a point from the off. With one of the final kicks of the game, Parish was able to find the back of the net and bring the three points home with us in a difficult game.

Matchday 9:

d00977df533d7c71d53b3a18d8f00d0a.png

Three days later we were held to our first draw of the season against a mediocre Eastbourne side. They were similar to Hungerford in the way they were quite defensive, allowing us to have the pick of the chances, however ultimately we couldn't find a way through and a draw is a very fair result.

Matchday 10:

46b10131bfe79f888b78c28df8176587.png

In what will be seen as one of the games of the season, from our point of view anyway, we were able to ****** the three points from top of the table Bath. We went 2-1 down with five minutes to go after leading and therefore, I felt the game was lost. But, *** found a second of the game to equalise almost immediately before Harry Lee converted from a Nosa Iyamu corner to take all three points. Up the Beach Boys!

Matchday 11:

5a365a27ce3dd6b16c0ef73670ea16bb.png

Another victory followed, this time in less exciting circumstances. A single goal was enough to put Braintree to the sword as we stretched our unbeaten run to seven. Winger Kyran Farrell with the goal, his first of the season.

FA Cup Second Qualifying Round:

7318c78c814ba55915e806e96c9afa3c.png

We did just about enough to scrap past AFC Sudbury, who sit two leagues below us in the English pyramid. Our first half performance was way too below par, as we went in behind at the break. However we came out all guns blazing in the second half, with Danny Parish scoring a double in the first six minutes of the half to send us through.

Matchday 12:

a7c5d4c663dadbea3952c916a15e0d67.png

Our unbeaten run came to a crashing halt with a 2-0 away defeat to Hampton & Richmond. Simply put we were second best in the game, especially in the second half when they were able to prise our defence apart and also double their lead. A disappointing performance, but it was going to come at some point.

FA Cup Third Qualifying Round:

335f8ceab3365f813157955d3305f672.png

The result is very misleading in my eyes. We absolutely murdered Taunton, as we should have given they are three divisions below us, however Jordan ***'s flurry of chances were not taken and we only scrap past the Somerset based club. We're now just one round away from the First Round of the competition.

Vanarama National South Table:

f82a4fa7019d2677a79391096257609f.png

We sit just inside the playoff places this month. That result against Bath single-handedly merited this position, as we look to continue on this great start we've had. Again, we're not getting too far ahead of ourselves, the result against Hampton & Richmond, albeit they are a top side, shows that the bubble can burst just like that and it could all start to go wrong - hopefully this is something we can avoid.

Player Of The Month:

Kyran Farrell

1b9fbc186c01df80ad736650347e2628.png

September Player Of The Month goes to winger Kyran Farrell, who alongside scoring his first goal this month, has contributed to the most assists so far this campaign (5) and has been a consistent performer from the beginning. He is one of many players that are still developing and therefore I hope his performances continue to get better as a result.

October Preview:

e8c5fc9b740085fa00a186655397f816.png

Just the four games in October means that it will be one of the quieter months of the season, on what is usually a very hectic schedule. An FA Cup Fourth Qualifying tie will, at some point I presume, be slotted into this crowd of games and therefore could see one of them moved to another date outside of October, or to a Tuesday night.

We begin with Havant & Waterlooville who are sitting comfortably in mid-table after promotion from the Southern Premier League marked their return to the division this season. Poole are another side in a similar position to the Hawks, not to be confused with Whitehawk, overachieving yet again at this moment in time. We then wrap up the month was games to bottom of the table Weston-Super-Mare and struggling Oxford City, who occupy 19th place.