49ers

Reaction score
Considering that the 4-2-3-1 is pretty common in FM and several elite teams enjoy using it (i.e., Real Madrid, Man City) I'm just curious what some of you like to do to counteract it.

I personally use a 4-3-3 (i.e., 4-1-2-2-1, 4-5-1) with a deeper defensive line, counter-attacking, more direct passing, and through balls. I have both fullbacks playing more defensive roles in order to keep tabs on the wingers. I find that the DM is also useful in closing down the AMC and providing through balls into the upper half of the pitch. I also start the two MC's with highest stamina/work rate on my squad to both defend by closing down the opposing MC's and push into the upper half of the pitch when in possession to exploit the gap between the midfield and defense and create numerical superiority when breaking on a counter-attack.

What do you guys think?

I struggle against this tactic sometimes so I'll give your tactic a try, I already use a counter 4-1-2-2-1 so just some small tweaks are necessary to implement yours. Last time out with my own it was a 2-2 draw at home against Spurs in the Euro Cup Quarters so I really want to beat them in the away leg. They're a superior team so it'll be tough though. I'll report back, thanks for the tips.