Beating different Styles of play - in depth analysis

Harris4Ips

Reaction score
In depth tactical decisions -

Im hoping this thread becomes popular as i believe it could answer alot of questions and help alot of people out playing football manager.
Id like to get everybodys expert opinions on which tactics are best against other certain tactics.
Also, which attributes are best to look for in players that you will be playing in those tactics.

So far example, if i was playing a superior team who plays possession/tika taka footbAll. Id employ counter tactics with a 4-5-1.
Id play a deeper line but have the 3 central midfielders on defensive mentalities closing down quickly. Use the lone striker as target man (support) with two attacking wingers.
As far as attributes go, il more than likely want work rate and teamwork to be key in the centre midfield.
Pace for the wingers to chase down those long ball clearances and strength for the target man to hold up play in the wingers.
This is just a quick rough example.But could people leave their input below on what they think is best against particular styles of play.

Thanks for reading and i hope theres alot of interest in this thread.

Last edited:
It all depends how you think football, what kind of manager you are and what team are you managing. Assuming you (or I, whatever) are managing a top team in a competitive league, like the EPL or La Liga, these are the questions you have to ask yourself. As for me, a like to define my game play model and make the other teams adapt to mine, not the other way around. I like my teams to be asymmetric, press high up and to keep the ball. This doesn't mean that I don't adapt minor details, for example, if I play against to strikers, I like my DM to drop deeper and turn him into a HB. There's no need to change the tactical set up.

This is what im saying, youd change your dm to hb if you play against 2 strikers....This is the sort of tactical decision made which could be the difference between a loss and a draw or a draw and a win.
Id love to know more tactical tweaks like this which can be good in certain circumstances

Well, the circumstances can be very different, that's why the manager is required to watch the matches and observe what is going wrong. Look, there are managers that look into scout reports and adapt their match plan to the opponent strengths and weakenesses; others (like me) stipulate an idea and impose it to the opponents. You need to ask yourself what kind of manager are you... considering both sides are correct :)

I agree that it depends on circumstances, but also agree with making this thread. Sometimes it's very hard to observe from the game. There are some general tactical theorems, which can be used in every match - for example it's generally more preferable to play 3-5-2/5-3-2 against flat 4-4-2 and so on. Almost everyone has some "bogey team", that always beats him. For me it was Leeds United in one of my saves. I did a really deep research, but finally it just helped to change formation in accordance with very simple football advice and they never beat me again. At least it's good to know how to prepare for exact formation or a style of play. In other words it's generally good to drop deeper against faster forwards regardless of the fact that you are EPL or Championship... If you have fast defenders, it's fine, but still risky.. ;) Looking forward for some good advices and tips in this thread.

Last edited:
Unbelievable how realistic this game has become though. Ive seen on these forums things as little as the rain or wind effect the game now. Obviously in real life it would effect certain styles of play.
But its just crazy how complex the game has become

Have you seen any threads which show the best formations to utilise against other formations?

Have you seen any threads which show the best formations to utilise against other formations?

No, I haven't. That's the problem. Everyone here is talking about circumstances, but I haven't found any thread with general explanation of formations and how they work against each other. Of course every FM player has some thoughts, but they are usually inaccurate or incomplete. Especially in my case. So I think it's good to discuss it also regerdless of the circumstances.

The game is really complex and it looks like FM2015 will by even more complex. The wind and rain will have serious impact |)

When is FM 2015 actually coming out? Ive seen nov 7th but also read that it could be delayed!?!?

Also, when is the demo set to be released? So excited!

When is FM 2015 actually coming out? Ive seen nov 7th but also read that it could be delayed!?!?

Also, when is the demo set to be released? So excited!

It should be about 7th november. Also still waiting for the demo. Definetely wanna try it before buying the full version..

Il be giving this a look. Could be handy for a giant killing in the fa cup? Haha