Reaction score
I'm using my current situation to experiment with one of the biggest challenges in the game, and would certainly welcome your input.

I am playing with Arsenal against Real Madrid in the Champions League, and lead 2-1 after the first leg at Emirates. If I want to progress at the Burnacow, I must find a way to beat Real's aggressive press and counter strategy. They'll be using the usual 4-2-3-1. I normally use an attacking 4-3-3 with Arsenal or a possession based 4-3-1-2 for more control (three cms).

Neither will help me play from the back successfully against a very aggressive press. The 4-3-3 might if I can get Alex Song to drop deep enough, but even so the numbers are even which= advantage pressing.

I've edited my set piece strategy to eliminate much of the counter threat, and I plan to man mark the wingers with my fullbacks (Cissokho and Sagna). So, how to beat the press and build from the back because pushing up would surely be suicidal against their open field counter...

The one silver lining I have is that CR7 tore knee ligaments in the first leg courtesy of Mr. Song. This means I'll be facing Ozil and Coentrao on the flanks. I am missing RVP, but I have Edinson Cavani, Seydou Doumbia, Gervinho and Douglas Costa available as forward options.

Here's my full fit team selection to help with any input you have:

CB- Mertesacker, Vorsah, Djourou, Koscielny
LB- Cissokho, Andre Santos
RB- Sagna
DM- Song, Coquelin, Frimpong
CM- Wilshere, Ramsey, Arteta, Diaby
F/AM- Cavani, Gervinho, Douglas Costa, Walcott, Kadlec
ST- Doumbia, Cavani, Walcott, Kadlec

Last edited:
The first thing I would look at are the players rather than the exact tactical settings. What players are professional, determined and with high stats in determination and work rate. Make sure you use players that have high morale and that have good form

Secondly, I would not play much different than usuall regarding formation and strategy. After all, the team needs to be fluid enough with the tactic to position them selfes in defence. Instead, look to use more defensive roles. Perhaps Defensive Wingers and more ballwinners than usuall. If Real plays the " Denmark 4231", then try to focus the play through the middle and exploit the gap between their midfield and defence.

Have à look at My Narrow Italian 4312( found at the top off the forum as à sticky) for some inspiration regarding the use Of shouts. ( especially look at the Italian Inter project and how I use Counter and the shouts with it)

Last edited:
My side is highly professional, and only a few of the younger players struggle in that regard. The issue I've run into with playing on the counter against top sides is ceding possession, and then getting countered myself. I can work it for a half or so, but eventually I am overrun due to the opponent getting too many chances to attack (when I can't play consistently from the back due to opponent pressure).

The way I play those games is still to use à counter strategy but combining it with retaining and cautious shouts. Retain possesion, play out of and through defence. This way, we play à semi - counter . By letting our defenders play à short passing game, we will not launxh these counter attacks at all Times as we would when we keep à more direct game from the back four.

Use defensive DM and fullbacks. Attack trough the middle, narrow your team a bit and increase a bit your passing distance. You can even get one of your forward 3 in a support role. Show on weaker foot on their wing and ST. Real have no real heading and crossing power so you can leave their wings to cross, but not cut inside.

It is exactly the opposite as you play against the narrow 4-2-3-1 - attacking/supporting fullbacks, short passing, wide play and down both flangs.

Use defensive DM and fullbacks. Attack trough the middle, narrow your team a bit and increase a bit your passing distance. You can even get one of your forward 3 in a support role. Show on weaker foot on their wing and ST. Real have no real heading and crossing power so you can leave their wings to cross, but not cut inside.

It is exactly the opposite as you play against the narrow 4-2-3-1 - attacking/supporting fullbacks, short passing, wide play and down both flangs.

They drill from wide areas if there's any space in front of the keeper. Man marking with good FBs seems to solve that problem.

i will play barcelona style with them. They cant score without the ball :D

Well I have Jose Angel and Donati/Nika Kvikvaskiri (sp) as my full backs and they did the job against Real and Bayern. I did concede goals against Real tough but my main problem was the slow Burdisso rather than the FBs which had a good rating against the wingers of Real. What I did is to chase Ronaldo on the flangs and support my FB with one of my wingers. If he changes flangs I change the instructions of my wingers if you get the point.
View attachment 231754

Here are my results using different tactics:

Home tactic (attacking)- lost 5-2...I actually generated 6 cccs...iker!
possession/counter (controlbalanced)- lost 3-1 extra time
More conservative version of home tactic- lost 4-3

Yikes. Had some freaky things happen to my defense off restarts in all matches.