intuitiv

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals, I hope you all are doing fine and therefore have a little time for some advices ;)

Well, the story is kind of long, but I will make it short: I am managing Belgium at the moment. I was always interested in managing this very interesting team and finally I got to do it.

First, some things that must be mentioned:
1. I am not using any patch, this is an old save and I intend using it further like this
2. I am not at all a good tactician, this tactic is a combination of other people's tactics

The thing with Belgium, as much as I like this team, is that they do not have top quality fullbacks (at least in FM). A secondary problem can come from a relatively low quality of players on the right wing, but that can be solved reasonably. The strong point is the central defense, with several top quality players in this position. So, besides my old interest in managing Belgium, now I am confronted with another idea that I have for some time: successfully using a three man defense.

I tested a lot of tweaks an changes (1, 2 or 3 DMC, 1, 2 or 3 CM, using an AMC, using wide or defensive wingers, etc.) and I wasn't content of any of it. Well, we did quite well until now with different tactics, but the Euro 2016 games are coming and I fear that we are not fully prepared. I have now this tactic that gave us some great results (a 5-2 friendly victory over Argentina for example), but I am still not fully satisfied with it. And I am so deep in it, so many changes from game to game, that surely I do not see things clearly.

The general idea is that, no matter what quality the opposition has, our team is intended to play a physical game, closing down a lot, passing at the back and scoring on the break (well, at least something like that ;)). We still lose the ball to much, even if this is not intended to be a possession tactic, and do not create as many scoring chances as I would like. Also, the main approach when I started all of this was not to win games, it was not to lose games (I really don't know how much of this can be seen in the tactic anymore).

Anyways, as I said, I am not a good tactician, not even an average one. So I will upload the tactic and a screenshot with the first team selection and please, if you have the time and the good will, maybe you will help me make it better and better, until it becomes perfect and dies ;) Thanks in advance!

P.S.: Please take into consideration 2 main criteria: generally a 3 man defense and specifically Belgium.
Cheers!

View attachment 253673

View attachment 253674

To be able to actually benefit from any advice, you need to be on the same patch ( 12.2. Or 12.2.2) as the rest Of us. There are so many differences between the one you are at and the latest meaning that just because à certain setup might struggle for us, it might still be really good for you ( and the other way around)

Examples: in earlier patches, the AI manager did not exploit the fact their opponent dont use fullbacks( they never used " exploit flanks , overlaps etc as à response)
The tactics in the TC are different, now counter is ticked in defensive and not in attack, meaning that the AI is playing differently.

Some positining tweaks regarding closing down and back tracking

And naturally, the fact that the AI teams never learnt their backups tactics

With this said, I strongly recommend getting online with your STEAM account to let it update your game

Cheers

Last edited: