Best 'Central Midfielder' in the league 'at the moment' ?

Vote for the best

• Total voters
Essien's passing was good pre injury. I dont know whether he could have pulled those killer balls, but his passing was surely as good. Probably Toure is good with those defense splitting passes, that doesn't mean Essien is not complete ;)

Do you see Essien winning headers often? And I mean properly beating the other person in the air for it to win possession? I don't, unless the opposition's about 5'9. And without that aerial prowess I can't class him as truly complete.

Oh and also, trump card: 'at the moment'. 'At the moment' I am a better CM than Essien, purely because I can actually play football. ;)

Considering Gerrard was out for 7 months, not sure how he can pick up many votes

Almost as mystifying as his MOM award today (6)

Yaya for the last season and a bit.

Do you see Essien winning headers often? And I mean properly beating the other person in the air for it to win possession? I don't, unless the opposition's about 5'9. And without that aerial prowess I can't class him as truly complete.

Oh and also, trump card: 'at the moment'. 'At the moment' I am a better CM than Essien, purely because I can actually play football. ;)

Oh Fail GC. I responded to this

The only truly all-round midfielder in the Prem.

There is no at the moment ;)

Yeah Essien can't win headers as he is not tall, but I have never seen Toure marking someone out of the game like Essien did to Gerrard in 2008-09 Champions league at Anfield.

Silva will be included in the next poll. Wide forwards/wingers.

You've placed Nasri in the wrong category Billy.

I wouldn't class Lampard or Gerrard as proper cm's they've both played there best football in an attacking midfielder position behind the front one or two. On that list though, I'd choose Modric but I think Silva is the best midfielder in the premier league.

Yeah Essien can't win headers as he is not tall, but I have never seen Toure marking someone out of the game like Essien did to Gerrard in 2008-09 Champions league at Anfield.

Someone didn't watch Barcelona's games when he played for them. ;)

I wouldn't class Lampard or Gerrard as proper cm's they've both played there best football in an attacking midfielder position behind the front one or two. On that list though, I'd choose Modric but I think Silva is the best midfielder in the premier league.

Hasn't he been normally deployed as a central midfielder that roams forward, instead of playing in the hole behind? Perhaps in the Ancelotti era, but more recently?

Gerrard, undeniably, but Lampard? When Scolari tried playing him as a trequartista it caused him to have arguably his biggest drop in form, well, ever. He's far better driving from deep. Classic CMer, I'd say.

Someone didn't watch Barcelona's games when he played for them. ;)

When did Barca ever wanted any player to be marked out of the game ;)

They had more than 70% possession and all Toure needed to do is maintain the passing game.

If Modric was not on the list then my vote would be Parker. Amazing season with a **** team last season which he picked up player of the year. Amazing for England and also now looking as a great partner for Modric and making Modric better than last season.

When did Barca ever wanted any player to be marked out of the game ;)

They had more than 70% possession and all Toure needed to do is maintain the passing game.

Then it isn't his fault. He can only do the job he's asked to do, he can't do anything that's impossible. It did happen though, on quite a few occasions.

Quite apart from 'quick' and 'fast' practically meaning the same thing, and disregarding your disturbingly Freudian love of the word '****', surely quick and fast comes under the umbrella of 'physicality'?

Ok, i guess i mean explosve? I just mean that....when a player tries to go past Toure. Toure is standing still...the player starts his run before. Yaya is so quick that he never let's the player past him.

He is explosive. For such a big man. He always runs past the opponent when challenging the defender aswell. And pretty easily. I just think that's just incredible for such a big man.

Wallcot is explosive.
Agbonlahor is explosive.
Lennon is explosive.
Valencia is explosive.
Yaya Youre is quick.

Then it isn't his fault. He can only do the job he's asked to do, he can't do anything that's impossible. It did happen though, on quite a few occasions.

But the way Essien marked Gerrard out of the game (Considering he was superb that season) I would say it is very very hard to repeat that performance.

Well conclusion is we have few more complete midfielders in the league. One might be better but there are complete CMs like Essien, Gerrard.

Oh wish we had Bastian in this league.

Essien has gone off the boil recently, even when he was able to play.

Injuries certainly haven't helped though. Back in Mourinho's era, Essien was truly incredible.

Bison. :wub:

When on form, Stevie G.

Shaun Derry

Although I agree with you in saying that he's the best Centre Midfielder in the league, which he probably is, his main position is actually Defensive Midfielder so i'd probably put him in that category. Saying that, he would easily storm both polls and that and only that is, i'm guessing, the reason Billy left him out, to make it fairer, of course